Rebooted hockey discussion thread 23-24

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Temporary hockey discussion thread

Post by rats19 »

leaves lose in OT to wings 5-4
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Picker of Cherries
CC Veteran

Post by Picker of Cherries »

According to Money Puck, the Canucks odds of winning the Pacific are now 98.4% and Nashville’s odds of being wild card #1 are 95.2%.
It’s now very unlikely that these teams won’t be meeting in the first round.

These last two games should be rest days for those who need it, and tune up games to get some of the black aces some minutes just in case they are needed in the playoffs. They should get Juulsen, Friedman, PDG and Aman in these last two games and rest some or all of the top six players at least one game. I’d really like to see Hughes, Garland and Miller get the Winnipeg game off completely, and avoid that travel. Pettersson, Boeser, and Hoglander and all of the defensemen should also get at least one of the next two games off, if not both, if they are nursing injuries.

The only two players I want to see in both of the next two games are Demko and Lindholm so they can get up to speed.
“Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room.”
- President Merkin Muffley
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Picker of Cherries wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:45 am According to Money Puck, the Canucks odds of winning the Pacific are now 98.4% and Nashville’s odds of being wild card #1 are 95.2%.

These last two games should be rest days for those who need it, and tune up games to get some of the black aces some minutes just in case they are needed in the playoffs. They should get Juulsen, Friedman, PDG and Aman in these last two games and rest some or all of the top six players at least one game. I’d really like to see Hughes, Garland and Miller get the Winnipeg game off completely, and avoid that travel. Pettersson, Boeser, and Hoglander and all of the defensemen should also get at least one of the next two games off, if not both, if they are nursing injuries.

The only two players I want to see in both of the next two games are Demko and Lindholm so they can get up to speed.
When did Pettersson last play?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:08 am
Picker of Cherries wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:45 am According to Money Puck, the Canucks odds of winning the Pacific are now 98.4% and Nashville’s odds of being wild card #1 are 95.2%.

When did Pettersson last play?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

In fairness he got the GWG on the PP the other night.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

If Hronek is getting greedy on his contract demands I’m all for trading him. Sign Zadorov and Tanev in the off season, trade Hronek.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Picker of Cherries
CC Veteran

Post by Picker of Cherries »

With Colorado’s OT loss today they can only tie the Canucks in points but lose the tie breaker of regulation wins. So the Canucks will have home ice when they meet them in the third round.
“Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room.”
- President Merkin Muffley
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

It's still possible for us to take the Conference, right? 2 wins, and a Dallas loss? We're ahead on RWs.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

If we win both remaining and they lose their last game in regulation……Yah I guess hey
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Let it ride out and finish 2nd in the west.

Dallas and Vegas can beat each other up. Winner will be feeling it.

Jets and Avs will be hard fought. If the Avs win they will have paid a physical price.

Edmonton will prevail over LA, but the Kings will inflict some damage.

Nashville is probably the best match up to get. Won’t be an easy series, but I think they are smaller and less punishing opponent for Vancouver than Vegas.
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Perspective from Paterson:

#Canucks record by 20 game segments:
1st: 13-6-1 (27 points)
2nd: 13-5-2 (28 points)
3rd: 12-5-3 (27 pts)
4th: 11-6-3 (25 pts)

Breaking it down it shows remarkable consistency from game one until now. Even though we all witnessed a drop in their play, did they really? Based upon this breakdown it seems they played a steady brand of hockey from game one.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:38 pm Perspective from Paterson:

#Canucks record by 20 game segments:
1st: 13-6-1 (27 points)
2nd: 13-5-2 (28 points)
3rd: 12-5-3 (27 pts)
4th: 11-6-3 (25 pts)

Breaking it down it shows remarkable consistency from game one until now. Even though we all witnessed a drop in their play, did they really? Based upon this breakdown it seems they played a steady brand of hockey from game one.
I just did a further breakdown of team GF GA for those intervals in an effort to see how domininant the team was ealier in the year vs their struggles to win close games later in the season.

#Canucks GF I GA I +/- by 20 game segments:
1st: 80-51 (+29)
2nd: 72-54 (+18)
3rd: 63-61 (+2)
4th: 55-52 (+3)

It shows defensively, Vancouver has been quite consistent while the goal scoring has been drying up.

Additionally, looking at # of games going to OT in those 20 game spans.

1st: (2)
2nd: (2)
3rd: (7)
4th: (4)

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Additionally, looking at 1, 2 3, >3 goal differential games.

One goal games, % of games, record W-L-OTL/SOL
1st: 6, 30%, 3-2-1
2nd: 7, 35%, 3-3-1
3rd: 10, 50%, 7-0-3
4th: 11, 55%, 6-2-3

Two goal games, record W-L
1st: 4, 20%, 3-1
2nd: 3,15% 3-0
3rd: 5, 25%, 3-2
4th: 4, 20% 3-1

For the first forty games 50% of the games were decided by two or fewer goals and Vancouver was 12-6-2 in those games.

In the second half, 75% of the games were decided by two or fewer goals and Vancouver was 19-5-6 in those game.

Three goal games, record W-L
1st: 6, 30%, 3-3
2nd: 7,35% 5-2
3rd: 4, 20%, 2-2
4th: 3, 15% 1-2

Four or Greater goal games, record W-L
1st: 4, 20%, 4-0
2nd: 3,15% 2-1
3rd: 1, 5%, 0-1
4th: 2, 10% 1-1

In the first half of the season 50% of the games were decided by 3 or more goals and Vancouver was 14-6 in those games.

In the second half of the season 25% of the games were decided by 3 or more goals and Vancouver was 4-6 in those games.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Thanks for posting some data - I think it bodes well that we're consistent (to a point) and dipped as would be expected, but have a good record in the close games. Playoffs can't come soon enough.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I wonder if you'll find that trend works across the board as the games gain importance as the stakes raise
If you need air...call it in
BoS
CC Rookie

Post by BoS »

Good stuff Wids/Tops.

How refreshing is it to be discussing this stuff in April, rather than willing the team to lose to gain a higher lottery ranking?

The first round should be a doozy.

Good times