Rebooted hockey discussion thread 23-24

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Temporary hockey discussion thread

Post by Madcombinepilot »

BoS wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:54 am Good stuff Wids/Tops.

How refreshing is it to be discussing this stuff in April, rather than willing the team to lose to gain a higher lottery ranking?

The first round should be a doozy.

Good times
Amen!!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I wonder if toppers stats showing a scoring slowing down can be partially due to teams tightening up and figuring other teams out.

I wonder also if these stats pertain to other teams??
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Part of it for sure is Pettersson dropping off considerably. He needs to be a 100 point man for us.

I'm sure there are numerous valid reasons why our scoring dropped off.No one answer. The bottom line is we have been remarkably consistent in getting points this year. So for all or our bellyaching we have had a pretty good season. One that could be better with a top 5 PK and a top 5 PP and a hot Pettersson.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

rats19 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:44 am I wonder if toppers stats showing a scoring slowing down can be partially due to teams tightening up and figuring other teams out.

There was no way to attribute a cause to the effect. Ricky has commented throughout the season that as teams see Vancouver's success, the Canucks will have a target painted on their backs and it would be up to the players to push through that.

Third/forth quarter injuries will also be a factor.

The collapse of a second line centre threat that meant favourable matchup for the third line has been significant.

Fatigue of Ricky hockey has been wearing on the lineup.

There have been several factors contributing. I was surprised by the the late season one and two goal game success. I've had the impression it wasn't as good as the record revealed. Possibly because it is over shadowed by the lack of success in 3 and great goal differential games.

BoS
AHL Prospect

Post by BoS »

Tocc has them playing an extremely demanding style of play. Not necessarily crash and bang, but constant skating, head on a swivel with constant precise positioning. It results in a highly supportive and responsible team game, but requires little margin for error and both physical and mental fatigue.

Factor in six guys at the ASG rather than resting, an exorbitant amount of air miles compared to most other teams, Demko going down and the team having to accommodate their play.

As said, there are a number of factors, but none more than the fact they play for 6 straight months and every team goes through ebbs and flows.

A remarkably consistent season though, and one they can really build on going into the playoffs. Confidence as a whole should be sky high for this bunch.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Thanks for the stats. I'm actually surprised at how consistently the team has played as the quarterly record indicates.

We all knew that the high PDO from the first half would be unsustainable, however the high danger chances and the offensive/defensive structure has been very consistent which is backed up by the numbers.

As an aside, Kuzmenko has now scored 24pts in 27GP with his new team. His surge appears to be due to the same unsustainable high shooting% as his rookie season here... somewhere around 25%. When he was struggling here, it was slightly better than 12%.

The media here is warning the Flames not to overrate Kuz and to sell high as his scoring is... wait for it... not sustainable because he sacrifices other areas of the game in order to score. That's funny. Really? Scorers are employed to score. If they don't, they're gone. Not sure how all those years of struggling Brock was any different. The only check he knew was the paper kind. We've been seeing the same scoring struggles recently, but some guys can never be criticized it seems.

DeMko ready to go against CGY? :D
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:19 am
rats19 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:44 am I wonder if toppers stats showing a scoring slowing down can be partially due to teams tightening up and figuring other teams out.

There was no way to attribute a cause to the effect. Ricky has commented throughout the season that as teams see Vancouver's success, the Canucks will have a target painted on their backs and it would be up to the players to push through that.

Third/forth quarter injuries will also be a factor.

The collapse of a second line centre threat that meant favourable matchup for the third line has been significant.

Fatigue of Ricky hockey has been wearing on the lineup.

There have been several factors contributing. I was surprised by the the late season one and two goal game success. I've had the impression it wasn't as good as the record revealed. Possibly because it is over shadowed by the lack of success in 3 and great goal differential games.
😂
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tocchet declared Demko ready to return, all is well. Still has not confirmed he will start against Calgary although Demko says he is ready to, just waiting for the coach to green light it. I think getting him back for Calgary is the right move. Leave him in Vancouver and let DeSmith and She-loves take the Winnipeg game. That would be my strategy anyway.

Word has it that our playoffs probably won't start until Tuesday. I would rest Pettersson too after the Calgary game. Maybe Hughes. No need to fly them all out to Winnipeg for a meaningless game. Gives them a week to prepare for the start of the playoffs. But what do I know.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:40 pm Tocchet declared Demko ready to return, all is well. Still has not confirmed he will start against Calgary although Demko says he is ready to, just waiting for the coach to green light it. I think getting him back for Calgary is the right move. Leave him in Vancouver and let DeSmith and She-loves take the Winnipeg game. That would be my strategy anyway.

Word has it that our playoffs probably won't start until Tuesday. I would rest Pettersson too after the Calgary game. Maybe Hughes. No need to fly them all out to Winnipeg for a meaningless game. Gives them a week to prepare for the start of the playoffs. But what do I know.
Sounds good to me. :D
____
Try to focus on someday.
Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:53 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:40 pm Tocchet declared Demko ready to return, all is well. Still has not confirmed he will start against Calgary although Demko says he is ready to, just waiting for the coach to green light it. I think getting him back for Calgary is the right move. Leave him in Vancouver and let DeSmith and She-loves take the Winnipeg game. That would be my strategy anyway.

Sounds good to me. :D
Sign me up.
el rey del mambo
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Well I know who has my vote to replace Tocchet when he’s run his course here.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Again, 11.6 has been resting for much of the season.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Sev'n Tree Fiddy gunna explode in the playoffs.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:45 pm Sev'n Tree Fiddy gunna explode in the playoffs.
I agree. Conn Smythe?
If you need air...call it in