Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News N Notes 2020-2021

Post by Meds »

2Fingers wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:00 am
Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:09 am You have to take complementary comments from a GM about his players with a grain of salt. It serves him no purpose to criticize a player publicly. Sutter may yet be traded, so why devalue an asset. Benning did the same thing at free agent frenzy when asked if he would resign his players. You never heard him say “no”. He was publicly trying to resign Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher, and Leivo. Publicly he didn’t criticize any of them. Publicly he just couldn’t reach a deal that made sense. Privately he probably had no intention of signing some or all of them. We don’t know what his private decisions were. All we know is he maintained their value by saying publicly that the Canucks still might be able to sign them all. Maintaining the player’s value was good for his ex-players that were great soldiers for the team so they could get as much as the market would pay. Maintaining his player’s value also may influence his opponents (the other NHL teams) to feel the necessity to overpay as much as possible which hurts them competitively in a salary cap environment. Would Calgary have given as much term to Tanev if that team didn’t think Benning was trying to resign him? Generally, it does no good for a GM to devalue his players by publicly criticizing them. The only time it is beneficial for a GM to criticize a player on his team is when he controls that player’s rights and wants to devalue him prior to signing him to a new contract. The only player we saw Benning criticize this off-season was Jake. Sometimes when I see the media freaking out about lost free agents or resigning players that have been criticized publicly, I realize they are playing checkers, while Benning is playing chess.
If the fans believed everything the coach, GM say or write or a "reporter" trying to get mouse clicks the Canucks would have a team full of EP and QH. No one is a lock unless you are at a higher level.
Even so, Wayne Gretzky was traded.....twice.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:01 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:38 pm That’s the most PC description of armpit farts I ever heard.
It's a family forum MCP. I have forgotten that myself a time or two, but thankfully not this time.

Speaking of hockey's culture carriers, here's a couple of photos of the grain elevators of Kole Lind's hometown of Shaunavon.

Kole hales from a two elevator town.

Jimmy was pretty impressed by the sight of the 'C' elevator when he drove out to meet Kole and his folks. Drafting Kole was a foregone conclusion.

Wow! :wow:

Having spent a year in Iowa, I realize just how impressive that is.... :thumbs:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lind is the real deal
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:50 am Lind is the real deal
I reckon he's tracking to steal a seat come camp if the 2 winger holes in our top 6 arent addressed from outside the org.

Meg, what do we have in Kole Lind? Is he ready to steal?
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:23 am
I reckon he's tracking to steal a seat come camp if the 2 winger holes in our top 6 arent addressed from outside the org.

All I know B-dub is that Doyle’s Boil was super angry we drafted Lind instead of Hague. And what I don’t know B-Dub is why is Doylez Coil constantly pooping out malarkey, crowning Kids as the next great big thing - like Dobson and Hague, two players who can’t even make the starting rotation? W.T.F.?
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

I think he has some of the same pest qualities that Jimmy sees in Jayce Hawryluk. I don't know about this year, but if things go according to plan those two will be nipping at opposition legs on the fourth line for years to come.

Couple of good prairie boys too, just like Benning. You just know those three and their dad's have had some hearty Western conversations around the hot stove. ;)
el rey del mambo
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:17 pm

I think he has some of the same pest qualities that Jimmy sees in Jayce Hawryluk. I don't know about this year, but if things go according to plan those two will be nipping at opposition legs on the fourth line for years to come.

Couple of good prairie boys too, just like Benning. You just know those three and their dad's have had some hearty Western conversations around the hot stove. ;)
I would just add that we're not really helping his cause any by sitting him around on the farm while other teams' better young players are playing games in European pro leagues.

AHL has a revised tentative start date of February 5, that's a lot of sitting around to come yet, best case.
Last edited by Megaterio Llamas on Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el rey del mambo
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

So is Lind an offensive prospect or a grunt? I thought he had some legit scoring talent
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:59 pm So is Lind an offensive prospect or a grunt? I thought he had some legit scoring talent
More of a grunt at the AHL level probably. He can score in lower leagues though, but he is working on a viable grunt game at the same time.

I guess we'll see.
el rey del mambo
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:01 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:59 pm So is Lind an offensive prospect or a grunt? I thought he had some legit scoring talent
More of a grunt at the AHL level probably. He can score in lower leagues though, but he is working on a viable grunt game at the same time.

I guess we'll see.
If a talented prospect can add a physical element with a side of salt like that it sometimes translates nicely into an NHL roster. Assholes who can score are worth their weight in gold. I'll be watching for him a little closer now
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:01 pm

I guess we'll see.
He’s going to have to get some grunt in his game. Not quick or strong enough at the moment to be a contributor at the NHL level. He’s got good hands and can make plays offensively but that only takes a guy so far.

The guys that are making it in teams bottom six these days are quick and relentless on the puck. Do you think Gadjovich has a chance of one day making the NHL as a 4th line guy? He seemed to have a much better season last year than the previous one. With him like Lind, it comes down to foot speed. A guy like Bo Horvat, he became an above average skater, who to me looked like a slug his first camp and at the WJC. Even when he started his rookie year he looked slow. He worked his ass off during the year and by the time they played Lames In the playoffs he was a burner. But Bo always had a good stride. The gal he worked with made him lengthen it and he picked up a few mph.

It’s funny some guys can legit get better with their skating in their late teens and early 20s. Then there are guys who are sloppy skaters (ie, not the classic stride) that become just fine moving around the ice. JT Miller comes to mind. John Tavares is another, so is Alex Burrows. It will be interesting to see these two plodding players, if one or both of them can become NHLers.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:15 pm He’s going to have to get some grunt in his game. Not quick or strong enough at the moment to be a contributor at the NHL level. He’s got good hands and can make plays offensively but that only takes a guy so far.

The guys that are making it in teams bottom six these days are quick and relentless on the puck. Do you think Gadjovich has a chance of one day making the NHL as a 4th line guy? He seemed to have a much better season last year than the previous one. With him like Lind, it comes down to foot speed. A guy like Bo Horvat, he became an above average skater, who to me looked like a slug his first camp and at the WJC. Even when he started his rookie year he looked slow. He worked his ass off during the year and by the time they played Lames In the playoffs he was a burner. But Bo always had a good stride. The gal he worked with made him lengthen it and he picked up a few mph.

It’s funny some guys can legit get better with their skating in their late teens and early 20s. Then there are guys who are sloppy skaters (ie, not the classic stride) that become just fine moving around the ice. JT Miller comes to mind. John Tavares is another, so is Alex Burrows. It will be interesting to see these two plodding players, if one or both of them can become NHLers.
It's funny with Gadj, he has that Darren Archibald-like snowshoeing stride and was a legit tortoise the first year but was moving a lot better last season. So who knows, he keeps making incremental 'strides' in the skating area.

He certainly has better built-in grunt attributes than Lind has. But as I said before, Jimmy needs to get off his ass and find places for these kids to play now. The AHL has been pushed back to Feb 5 now and who knows if they have season at all.
el rey del mambo
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

I’m watching the News... was hoping to see Anne Drewa but stuck with Chris Gayman. Looking at Keith Baldrey’s massive rum nose I wonder if the Chef has a similar snout, all riddled with veins and thick and bright red. Does the Chef also rock an ugly wig like Baldrey to cover up the acid burns and skullet?

A man can only wonder.....

Chef... your thoughts?
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I see that Boozey Doyle’s just rolled in from another long hard shift of shipping and receiving, most likely stopped in at the Gilnetter on the way home slammed down a Double bacon cheeseburger and French Fries poutine. Chased that down with a pitcher of Rikards Red and a couple bumps with some old running mates in the parking lot. He’s now home multi tasking between the CC and an angry wife
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Is the Chef that guy that wears a poppy for a month or two after Remembrance Day like Willie Desjardins??