2020 NHL OFFSEASON

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Megaterio Llamas
MVP
MVP

Re: 2020 NHL OFFSEASON

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:32 pm
ESQ wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:59 pm
2Fingers wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:39 pm
Tyler Myers $5.5 - $6.0.

He is playing those minutes because the Canucks have no one better, that is a difference than he has earned those minutes. Again take this for what it is worth as I am anti AE. I have sent JB about $3.25 in quarters to call a taxi.
Fair enough, I was right there with you on the AE hate-train, but I actually believe he's played his best hockey in years over the past season-and-a-half.
I think he’s been fine most of his career here other than the year John T coached him. Reef and Mëds have always loathed the guy for reasons only known to themselves. At this point he’s still a quality top 4 D. Hopefully his game doesn’t fall off a cliff anytime soon.
Right on Doyle. Fast Eddy has been a great career Canuck and his game hasn't tailed off much yet, if at all. Hopefully he can finish his career here.
el rey del mambo
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

He can still lay out a big hit but its less often these days. Probably self preservation seeing how guys who hit like that often end up on the IR too often
If you need air...call it in
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:03 pm You give Edler a bottom-pairing base salary with 35+ performance bonuses that adds up to second-pairing money.

That way he ends up with exactly what he ends up earning that year.

35+ contracts can be a wonderful thing for both player and team...
If Edler will agree to a cheap salary with performance bonuses, that would be great. The bonuses wouldn’t have to be paid until the following year when the air thief’s salary is off the books, so there would be cap space to pay the bonuses. The only question is would he accept a low base salary or demand a guaranteed salary in the 4.5 to 5m range as described above.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:23 pm
Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:03 pm You give Edler a bottom-pairing base salary with 35+ performance bonuses that adds up to second-pairing money.

If Edler will agree to a cheap salary with performance bonuses, that would be great. The bonuses wouldn’t have to be paid until the following year when the air thief’s salary is off the books, so there would be cap space to pay the bonuses. The only question is would he accept a low base salary or demand a guaranteed salary in the 4.5 to 5m range as described above.
I guess I'm assuming he likes Vancouver enough to sign up for that.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:26 pm

I think he will, I also think Eddie will move immediately after retirement into a position with the front office/coaching staff.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:37 pm

I think he will, I also think Eddie will move immediately after retirement into a position with the front office/coaching staff.
What makes you figure that?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:46 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:37 pm

What makes you figure that?
Just being a hardcore Vancouver guy, just a guess though, it all depends on how much he likes hockey. I don’t think he’ll be bolting for Sweden once he retires.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I get the feeling, much like Richardstroker69, that he will remain in Van. Yes, before the flat cap, I could see him getting 4 mil on a 1 year deal but think he will sign closer to 3 mil. He will go the way similar to Chelios in Detroit, who would sign 1 year deals at a reasonable rate. Just my opinion and feeling of course.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

theman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:08 am I get the feeling, much like Richardstroker69, that he will remain in Van. Yes, before the flat cap, I could see him getting 4 mil on a 1 year deal but think he will sign closer to 3 mil. He will go the way similar to Chelios in Detroit, who would sign 1 year deals at a reasonable rate. Just my opinion and feeling of course.
I could get behind a 1 year deal $3M or less.

JB really needs to address our D as AE only has 2-3 seasons left in him.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

FWIW Chara's biggest bonus was for reaching 10 gp, that's the kind of performance bonus you can put on a 35+, so it's virtually guaranteed money.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

2Fingers wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:12 am
theman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:08 am I get the feeling, much like Richardstroker69, that he will remain in Van. Yes, before the flat cap, I could see him getting 4 mil on a 1 year deal but think he will sign closer to 3 mil. He will go the way similar to Chelios in Detroit, who would sign 1 year deals at a reasonable rate. Just my opinion and feeling of course.

He started with Schmidt. I think he’s going to see how a couple of kids pan out and make a move either during the season or next off season for another younger D man. I keep coming back to Carolina that will too many quality D men to protect in the Expansion Draft. There’s a few teams like that.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 am

He started with Schmidt. I think he’s going to see how a couple of kids pan out and make a move either during the season or next off season for another younger D man. I keep coming back to Carolina that will too many quality D men to protect in the Expansion Draft. There’s a few teams like that.
Keeping an expansion slot open for a dman from Carolina/islander/tampa, is a good idea. See what the kids can do in a shortened garbage year, rotate that bottom pairing with brisebois, joulevi, rathbone, chatfield, rafferty, see if any can stick. If we’re a lottery team oh well, sell sutter and whoever else on the bottom 6, bottom pairing that can be spared/moved.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:48 am
Keeping an expansion slot open for a dman from Carolina/islander/tampa, is a good idea. See what the kids can do in a shortened garbage year, rotate that bottom pairing with brisebois, joulevi, rathbone, chatfield, rafferty, see if any can stick. If we’re a lottery team oh well, sell sutter and whoever else on the bottom 6, bottom pairing that can be spared/moved.
Tough call who to protect - Definitely Schmidt, some might say expose Myers - but do you really want to be back to looking around for a top-4 RD? Will such a player come cheaper than $6 million in cap space and nothing else?

I'd protect Schmidt, Myers, and Olli. If another Dman is acquired who is under contract, then do you risk exposing Olli (unproven, but very high ceiling and cheap), or exposing Myers (established, hard-to-find top-4 RD)?

Who knows who Seattle has available in goalies, if there's another good goalie available, Seattle would get to take from the Canucks one of:

Holtby
Myers/Olli
McEwan/Motte/Roussel/Beagle

Very unlikely they take a forward, and pretty good chance they pilfer a d-man. Which is just our luck - the most likely loss is in the area we have the least depth.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

ESQ wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 am
Tough call who to protect - Definitely Schmidt, some might say expose Myers - but do you really want to be back to looking around for a top-4 RD? Will such a player come cheaper than $6 million in cap space and nothing else?

I'd protect Schmidt, Myers, and Olli. If another Dman is acquired who is under contract, then do you risk exposing Olli (unproven, but very high ceiling and cheap), or exposing Myers (established, hard-to-find top-4 RD)?

Who knows who Seattle has available in goalies, if there's another good goalie available, Seattle would get to take from the Canucks one of:

Holtby
Myers/Olli
McEwan/Motte/Roussel/Beagle

Very unlikely they take a forward, and pretty good chance they pilfer a d-man. Which is just our luck - the most likely loss is in the area we have the least depth.
If we can grab a better rhd from nyi, Carolina etc, I think you expose Myers.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 am

I want to see Joulevi penciled in no matter what, see if the can sink/swim. Probably not the best option but if done right we can finally see what we have in him.