2020 NHL OFFSEASON

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: 2020 NHL OFFSEASON

Post by SKYO »

stlblues announce they've hired Jim Montgomery as an assistant coach.

Montgomery was fired in December by the Dallas Stars for a personal behavior issue.
--
Buffalo has traded Marcus Johansson to the Minnesota Wild.
Staal for Johansson!
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I know everyone likes to fantasize about a big blockbuster trade or UFA acquisition, but The biggest thing addition this off season will be subtraction.

The subtraction of Erickson, Baertschi and one of Sutter or Beagle.

Stop trying to trade roster players and picks for more roster players. We need to move out some of these big contracts and simply resign most of the boys we got.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I agree, I'm thinking this will be a step sideways, with no big additions, but we'll see growth from the core. If we add anything via trade or UFA, I'm guessing a #3-5 Dman. It's an uncertain year for revenue, and who knows where the cap is going - I'm expecting Benning to play the off season very cautiously. And I'm ok with that.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I think Stretcher will be gone - replaced by Joulevi. Also agree that we will see move guys moved out to relieve the cap pressure, Loui, Baer and Sutter/Beagle. The only, youngish, roster player I think that will be gone will be JV, probably part of a package to move one of the before mentioned
horrible contracts.

My feeling is that both TT and CT will be back, Leivo I think will be back too as will Motte.

Markstrom, is the interesting one, not sure he will be back and, just my opinion, not sure we should pay him over 5 mil a season anyway.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Elias Pettersson will be staying in Vancouver for the offseason. Not going back to Sweden. If true, I'm surprised. I'm hoping there might be more to it. Something like the Canucks are planning on having safe, practicing facilities available to their players all the way to training camp.

https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1306818443597893632
"evolution"
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Micky wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:48 am Elias Pettersson will be staying in Vancouver for the offseason. Not going back to Sweden. If true, I'm surprised. I'm hoping there might be more to it. Something like the Canucks are planning on having safe, practicing facilities available to their players all the way to training camp.

Or he has a honey, maybe for the first time in his life, who he hasn't seen much of in two months.
Hono_rary Canadian
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:03 am I know everyone likes to fantasize about a big blockbuster trade or UFA acquisition, but The biggest thing addition this off season will be subtraction.

Stop trying to trade roster players and picks for more roster players. We need to move out some of these big contracts and simply resign most of the boys we got.
JB going after the hardest immovable target first with Loui Eriksson, highest paid and isn't even playing much in the regular season (49 games) and playoffs (played just one game vs Vegas 7 game series) by Green.

It all started in 2019:
Gaffar:
Benning said they looked at the possibility of finding a fit for Loui Eriksson on a different team this summer. Didn’t end up working out.
Remember in Sweden Eriksson kinda trash talking about his ice time or lack thereof, saying he's not getting any powerplay time.
Benning on Eriksson comments criticizing Travis Green : "I am going to talk with Loui maybe this week and ask him about what he said and where he was going with those comments and I think Travis will want to as well."
According to Barry, the two discussed where to go after a disappointing season from the highest-earner on the Canucks. Just 11 goals and 29 points in 81 games during the 2018-19 regular season, it is clear that both Eriksson and Benning would either like improvement or a new opportunity somewhere else.

“Him and Jim have spoken about that and we have to go from here,” the agent told TSN 1040. “I mean, we have spoken about a lot of things whether it is staying and playing or finding a new home, so we will need to continue discussing that.”

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/07/11/benn ... um=twitter
Sept10,2020
Benning on Eriksson,” With Bo & Pearson, he was good with those guys because he’s good defensively & lets those guys go on the offensive end. I know he’s making too much money to just be a good defensive player. So we’ll continue to talk internally.”
Sept 17, 2020:
Once again, Benning and Eriksson agent JP Barry had yet another chat about Eriksson moving on from Vancouver.

At least this upcoming season he lost his valuable NTC to a modified 15 team no trade list clause, his NMC is gone from his first two years, so he can be waived and sent to Utica no problem. After his bonus is paid as you all know, his salary is only $1M this upcoming year and $4m next year, with a $6M cap hit for both. So a $5M salary over 2 years with $12M cap hit over those 2 years, and unlike those LTIR contracts that are traded about, LE can actually play a checking role still, might be enticing for a cap floor team.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Pietrangelo UFA!

Post by SKYO »

ALEX PIETRANGELO TO HIT UFA!

Dreger: Sources say contract talks between the St Louis Blues and Blues captain, Alex Pietrangelo have broken off.

The team has advised Pietrangelo to pursue unrestricted free agency.
Jeremy Rutherford:

The Blues’ current offer is $7.7 million AAV, but Pietrangelo has been asked to accept the AAV without knowing the structure of the deal.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: 2020 NHL Offseason

SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:51 pm ALEX PIETRANGELO TO HIT UFA!

Dreger: Sources say contract talks between the St Louis Blues and Blues captain, Alex Pietrangelo have broken off.

Jeremy Rutherford:

The Blues’ current offer is $7.7 million AAV, but Pietrangelo has been asked to accept the AAV without knowing the structure of the deal.
Big deal. He ain’t signing here.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:19 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:03 am I know everyone likes to fantasize about a big blockbuster trade or UFA acquisition, but The biggest thing addition this off season will be subtraction.

JB going after the hardest immovable target first with Loui Eriksson, highest paid and isn't even playing much in the regular season (49 games) and playoffs (played just one game vs Vegas 7 game series) by Green.

It all started in 2019:
Gaffar:
Benning said they looked at the possibility of finding a fit for Loui Eriksson on a different team this summer. Didn’t end up working out.
Remember in Sweden Eriksson kinda trash talking about his ice time or lack thereof, saying he's not getting any powerplay time.
Benning on Eriksson comments criticizing Travis Green : "I am going to talk with Loui maybe this week and ask him about what he said and where he was going with those comments and I think Travis will want to as well."
According to Barry, the two discussed where to go after a disappointing season from the highest-earner on the Canucks. Just 11 goals and 29 points in 81 games during the 2018-19 regular season, it is clear that both Eriksson and Benning would either like improvement or a new opportunity somewhere else.

“Him and Jim have spoken about that and we have to go from here,” the agent told TSN 1040. “I mean, we have spoken about a lot of things whether it is staying and playing or finding a new home, so we will need to continue discussing that.”

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/07/11/benn ... um=twitter
Sept10,2020
Benning on Eriksson,” With Bo & Pearson, he was good with those guys because he’s good defensively & lets those guys go on the offensive end. I know he’s making too much money to just be a good defensive player. So we’ll continue to talk internally.”
Sept 17, 2020:
Once again, Benning and Eriksson agent JP Barry had yet another chat about Eriksson moving on from Vancouver.

At least this upcoming season he lost his valuable NTC to a modified 15 team no trade list clause, his NMC is gone from his first two years, so he can be waived and sent to Utica no problem. After his bonus is paid as you all know, his salary is only $1M this upcoming year and $4m next year, with a $6M cap hit for both. So a $5M salary over 2 years with $12M cap hit over those 2 years, and unlike those LTIR contracts that are traded about, LE can actually play a checking role still, might be enticing for a cap floor team.

I would imagine JB has been talking about moving Loui to anyone who will listen for the last 18 months.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:56 am

I would imagine JB has been talking about moving Loui to anyone who will listen for the last 18 months.
Right from that first own goal
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

UWSaint wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:56 am
Micky wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:48 am Elias Pettersson will be staying in Vancouver for the offseason. Not going back to Sweden. If true, I'm surprised. I'm hoping there might be more to it. Something like the Canucks are planning on having safe, practicing facilities available to their players all the way to training camp.

Or he has a honey, maybe for the first time in his life, who he hasn't seen much of in two months.
That's the exact opposite of practice. As Don Cherry said once "Wayne, get off that girl!"
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: 2020 NHL Offseason

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:54 am
SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:51 pm ALEX PIETRANGELO TO HIT UFA!

Jeremy Rutherford:

Big deal. He ain’t signing here.
No, but it helps flood the market. And maybe keep Tanev cheap enough to keep
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

If team budgets are being cut as much as some say, it sounds like there will be some surprising RFAs not qualified and many UFAs not signed. The market may get quite flooded. The big issue with small NHL team budgets for the Canucks is that not many teams are going to be taking bad contracts off Benning’s hands without him paying way too large a price. Time is short for Benning to move out contracts. A little over two weeks before free agency. Maybe the best strategy is for Benning to not sign anyone, sit on whatever cash he has and see who doesn’t get a contract, and then start making some low ball offers. Players who don’t get good offers from other teams might find the idea of playing with Petey, Hughes, and the rest quite enticing.
We are all Jim Benning.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Cherry Picker wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am If team budgets are being cut as much as some say, it sounds like there will be some surprising RFAs not qualified and many UFAs not signed. The market may get quite flooded. The big issue with small NHL team budgets for the Canucks is that not many teams are going to be taking bad contracts off Benning’s hands without him paying way too large a price. Time is short for Benning to move out contracts. A little over two weeks before free agency. Maybe the best strategy is for Benning to not sign anyone, sit on whatever cash he has and see who doesn’t get a contract, and then start making some low ball offers. Players who don’t get good offers from other teams might find the idea of playing with Petey, Hughes, and the rest quite enticing.
I agree. It will be like musical chairs as Burke says and the Canucks are back to being a preferred destination.