Goalies moving forward.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

What goalie situation is more palatable to you?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:33 pm

Signing Markstrom if it means losing Demko to a trade or expansion draft within a year.
22%
Not signing Markstrom if it means keeping Demko as the starter moving forward with a cheaper UFA backup.
78%

Total votes: 23

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Re: Goalies moving forward.

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:50 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:47 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:32 am Marky isn’t signing a deal without protection
Agree marky will get expansion protection and strong initial ntc that will open up later on in the contract (similar to sutter beagle etc.). I also agree with the dude, I think benning will go with both demko and marky next year, and hopefully Travis will split the starts 50/50 so marky can stay healthy. Lalji said the Canucks figure they can move Louie or sutter, so apparently we will have cap space.
Really not sure how they expect to move Sutter and Eriksson. Lalji is competing with Daliwahl for Twitter traffic. HW is a fan of Daliwahl, she quotes his Tweets lots. Media scribes like them are like Doyle, just throwing loads of shit on walls hoping one of them sticks
Have faith dude.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:29 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:32 am Marky isn’t signing a deal without protection
Agree marky will get expansion protection and strong initial ntc that will open up later on in the contract (similar to sutter beagle etc.). I also agree with the dude, I think benning will go with both demko and marky next year, and hopefully Travis will split the starts 50/50 so marky can stay healthy. Lalji said the Canucks figure they can move Louie or sutter, so apparently we will have cap space.
Really not sure how they expect to move Sutter and Eriksson. Lalji is competing with Daliwahl for Twitter traffic. HW is a fan of Daliwahl, she quotes his Tweets lots. Media scribes like them are like Doyle, just throwing loads of shit on walls hoping one of them sticks
Have faith dude.
I believe they will be adding a sweetener to move one of this two out. I don’t see it any other way. Or maybe a little sweetener to get rid of Baertschi. Maybe clearing out Baertschi’s last year is enough to sign everyone and not lose a major asset to sweeten the pot?
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think he quotes my posts. I don't read twitter or twits.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

dangler wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:46 am Does anyone know the timelines of the draft & UFA window?
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 66#p396266
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 pm
I believe they will be adding a sweetener to move one of this two out. I don’t see it any other way. Or maybe a little sweetener to get rid of Baertschi. Maybe clearing out Baertschi’s last year is enough to sign everyone and not lose a major asset to sweeten the pot?
I guess we'll see if Sven is going to put his money where his mouth is - he thinks he's an NHLer, but he won't be with this club, so will he also terminate to take a shot somewhere else?

FWIW, I also think he's an NHLer, but there's no room for him in the Canucks lineup so its time for him to go buhbye.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I would still like to try to keep Marky Marky, but if he wants too much $$$ and/or term, then let him walk. If he stays, we can't afford to give him trade and expansion protection neither. If Marky would do us a solid (like Edler) and sign for 1 year, so we don't have to protect him in the xpansion draft, that'd be great, but I'll be surprised if that happens. Can't blame him if he wants to cash in now, this might be his best and only chance. I think our priorities for our UFAs should be Marky > Tan-Man > Toffoli. Tan-Man & Toffoli can go too if the numbers don't work. We gotta save for Petey & Hughes.

I do like Demko, but durability is an issue for me. I'm not sure he can handle a heavy workload. If Marky walks, I wouldn't mind a guy like Hutchinson or Talbot on a 1-2 year deal. A 1-B kind of guy who can split the work load with Demko. Maybe even Lehner if it's short-term. A 3rd stringer with NHL experience who can play in Utica, be a mentor to Mikey D and come up here when one of our guy's is down would be ideal as well. Louis Dominque would be great if he's interested.

All our goalies aside, I think keeping the goalie guru Ian Clark is the top priority. Whoever is between the pipes is not as important.
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Calgary radio spent a full hour today analyzing the canucks and touched on this keep Marky vs annointing Demko the king debate. Their expert outside opinion is we would be nuts to let Marky walk. As good as demko is hes still basically a prospect....albeit a very, very good prospect.

They were saying marky could command up to 7 or even more and it should still be the canucks priority.

It was one of the better shows I've ever heard on the canucks and was put on by 960 the fan in calgary
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Lol bunch of inbreds. Markstrom can get 7 + somewhere else.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck »

Did anyone choose sign Markstrom to a reasonable deal considering the market for goalies soft (reportedly up to twelve established goalies available this year)

Even out the workload Between Markstrom and Demko until the trade deadline then make a decision on who to keep and who to trade or leave exposed for Seattle?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

ukcanuck wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:34 pm Did anyone choose sign Markstrom to a reasonable deal considering the market for goalies soft (reportedly up to twelve established goalies available this year)

Even out the workload Between Markstrom and Demko until the trade deadline then make a decision on who to keep and who to trade or leave exposed for Seattle?
Yeah, that's what I think is the best option. Actually, ideal imho would be if we can sign a one year deal with Markström and protect Demko, then sign a longer contract with Marx after the Seamen have had their pick.

But if a one year option isn't on the table, we should still sign Marx so we can start the season with this tandem, and then decide who to protect, who to trade or lose as we get a better sample size of Demko. I think it's too early to start the season with him as our starter.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:53 pm Calgary radio spent a full hour today analyzing the canucks and touched on this keep Marky vs annointing Demko the king debate. Their expert outside opinion is we would be nuts to let Marky walk. As good as demko is hes still basically a prospect....albeit a very, very good prospect.

They were saying marky could command up to 7 or even more and it should still be the canucks priority.

It was one of the better shows I've ever heard on the canucks and was put on by 960 the fan in calgary
Is Rick Ball still there? Was pretty good on the radio back in the day here.
"evolution"
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Irfaan Gaffar@irfgaffar
Benning said he spoke to Markstrom’s agent yesterday. Will continue to talk this week. Want to get a deal done that makes sense for both sides. I believe they still aren’t very close, but it’s negotiation szn. #Canucks
12:24 PM · Sep 8, 2020
https://twitter.com/irfgaffar/status/13 ... 7427928064
read down and see the argument with Lack.
"evolution"
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:55 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:53 pm Calgary radio spent a full hour today analyzing the canucks and touched on this keep Marky vs annointing Demko the king debate. Their expert outside opinion is we would be nuts to let Marky walk. As good as demko is hes still basically a prospect....albeit a very, very good prospect.

Is Rick Ball still there? Was pretty good on the radio back in the day here.
I think so but this was Pat Steinberg amd his sidekick.

960 Calgary for me has the best radio program going. They do an around the NHL segment every afternoon where they spend 10 minutes discussing each team in detail but this must have been more because they went through all our UFAs, RFAs, prospects and potential trade targets looking ahead. It was well done
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Micky wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:26 am
Irfaan Gaffar@irfgaffar
Benning said he spoke to Markstrom’s agent yesterday. Will continue to talk this week. Want to get a deal done that makes sense for both sides. I believe they still aren’t very close, but it’s negotiation szn. #Canucks
Eddie looks like hes taking Markstroms career more seriously than he did his own
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:42 am
Micky wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:26 am
Irfaan Gaffar@irfgaffar
Eddie looks like hes taking Markstroms career more seriously than he did his own
Lol! Yeah... :look:

But he did get to play 7 seasons in the NHL (144 games) and got a gold medal at the 2017 world championships, so more than most people accomplish.

I also seem to remember people saying he was a great guy to have in the locker room, and he and Marky overlap for two seasons in the Vancouver organisation, so I'm sure they are good mates. He's sticking out his neck to show he's got Jacob's back! :lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.