Past Canuck Players

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
MVP
MVP

Re: Past Canuck Players

Post by donlever »

...sitting in the stands that first Bure game against the Jets (and I'm sure I've regaled y'all everyone with this tape previously yo by the way) was far and away the greatest in game, Canuck thrill ride I had been involved with and that includes the 82 run.
DeLevering since 1999.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:59 pm
donlever wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:36 pm Anyone have an opinion on yanking Kirk Muller from the Flames?
For me he's one of those guys that you really, really dislike but you really don't know why.
I had to look it up to jog my memory lol but yeah this is why I dislike Muller:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013 ... irk-muller

Gets traded from the Habs to the Fishsticks, literally cries about it, initially refuses to report

... then sulks, going through the motions for a full calendar year forcing then to sell low on him (to the Leaves).

And then he plays the best he can for the Leaves. :evil:

Essentially he's a Habs-loving Leaves-loving whiny bitch.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

donlever wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:21 pm ...sitting in the stands that first Bure game against the Jets (and I'm sure I've regaled y'all everyone with this tape previously yo by the way) was far and away the greatest in game, Canuck thrill ride I had been involved with and that includes the 82 run.
I was in Toronto and stayed up late to watch the highlights from that game on TSN. Like you, my favourite player ever, Sedins are close, and I hated Macrae for the "Sedin sisters" shtick. I was disappointed, but never soured on Bure for leaving. It was incredible having a player like that in Canucks colours.
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

....the Sedins grew on me over time beyond the initial reactions to their being drafted and donning the jersey.

I always respected them for their sticktoitevness and for not complaining as they struggled through their first years in town.

Obviously we bore the fruits of their labour's and the respect continued to grow not only for their on ice skills but for their off ice demeanor and class as well.

I recall being stoked when Burke stickhandled the deals to get them and then completely bummed when Kuzma sent reports back from Sweden that they couldn't skate.

Ebbs, flows and adjustments as well...right Dude?

If 2011's end results are different the shine of the Sedins in Canucks lore would be infinite and transcendent.

They remain great Canucks regardless.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:43 am Over the last four games Jacob Markström has allowed a total of one goals and posted three shutouts. :shock:

I know the conventional wisdom was that we could not afford the kind of money he was offered elsewhere and that it was smarter to stick with Demko, but damn! :evil:
In each of their past 4 games the Flames have scored 4 or more goals.....they've controlled the run of play, kept high danger chances down, and minimized defensive zone time with quick transitions up the ice.

Markstrom is the same goalie he was here. He's good, he covers up some of the warts on his defense's game.....I'll still take Demko over Markstrom as I think that Demko likely would also have shutouts in 2 of those 3 games playing behind a Sutter coached team.

I don't see Calgary as having a roster that is better than ours (at least on paper). The difference is behind the bench.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Vin Tanner wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:58 am
Cousin Strawberry wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:52 am Jesus that's scraping the bin bottom. Might as well just wait a little longer.
Who else is out there? If they’re replacing Travis they need a name coach, not another guy from the AHL or junior hockey. I wouldn’t give Green much more than another seven or eight games to figure this out.
Based on what we've seen I wouldn't even give him that.

I mean, even in our wins we didn't look like a good team, the scoreboard just blinded some eyes.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

What did conventional wisdom say about Markstrom last season?

We don't need the Swedish National Team in Van, we need Darryl Sutter behind our bench.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Not looking forward to Flames games, between Markstrom stoning them and the Canucks getting physically abused, it couldn't be a worse matchup. How do you think Sutter would mesh with Eichel?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:37 pm
Per wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:43 am Over the last four games Jacob Markström has allowed a total of one goals and posted three shutouts. :shock:

I know the conventional wisdom was that we could not afford the kind of money he was offered elsewhere and that it was smarter to stick with Demko, but damn! :evil:
In each of their past 4 games the Flames have scored 4 or more goals.....they've controlled the run of play, kept high danger chances down, and minimized defensive zone time with quick transitions up the ice.

Markstrom is the same goalie he was here. He's good, he covers up some of the warts on his defense's game.....I'll still take Demko over Markstrom as I think that Demko likely would also have shutouts in 2 of those 3 games playing behind a Sutter coached team.

I don't see Calgary as having a roster that is better than ours (at least on paper). The difference is behind the bench.
Imagine getting another top 4 dman.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:08 pm
Mëds wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:37 pm

Imagine getting another top 4 dman.
Strangely enough our blueline looks like it matches up pretty well against Calgary's.....at least on paper. There's nobody on Calgary's blueline that actually is a lock to be even a #2 guy on every team, we've got OEL and Hughes, both of those guys are probably top-pairing defensemen on 10-15 other teams.

Imagine getting another coach.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:42 pm What did conventional wisdom say about Markstrom last season?
6th in the league in wins. Went 22-19-2 GAA 2.68 and SVS% .904 Two shutouts.

Not amazing numbers, but getting the wins.

Demko went 16-18-1 with a GAA of 2.85 and SVS% of .915. One shutout.

So last season the difference wasn't glaring. Marx slightly better than the Demigod, but no biggie.

Thus far this season however...

Marky -- 4-1-1 GAA 1.33 SVS% .957 SO 3
Demko - 3-3-1 GAA 2.55 SVS% .924 SO 0

Sure, extremely small sample size, so we don't know how it will pan out in the end, but still...

And yes, I know that the goalie is very dependent on who plays in front of him.
But I thought we were the best....! :oops:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Btw... three shutouts in six games! :shock:

Assuming he plays 60 games, that's a projected 30 shutout season. :crazy:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Anyone recall Francis Perron?

We got him for Pyatt in a trade with the Sharks. Spent 2019/20 in Utica. Don't think he ever sported the Orca. Well, possibly at camp.

Still got the skill, still got the moves. Probably not physical enough for the NHL, but doing OK, playing for Björklöven in Umeå.

On Saturday Björklöven more or less annihilated Modo (don't tell the Sedins...), beating them 8-1.
Perron scored one of the goals on a breakaway; fake shot then sneaky five hole. Beautiful.
At 3.20 into the highlights video.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I know you love your Swedes, but conventional wisdom says you go with a younger cheaper version with greater potential.

Different team, different stats. Can't imagine what those stats would look like if Marky was still here and Demko elsewhere. Almost guaranteed it wouldn't look remotely like that.

Even with the hindsight, it's proven that we made the right choice.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 19 People!
donlever
MVP
MVP

Post by donlever »

Markstrom 31.

Demko 25.

Tag in the contracts and long term outlook.

...no brainer.
DeLevering since 1999.