Canucks Pre Season; 2019/2020; Shake It Out.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Pre Season; 2019/2020; Shake It Out.

Post by UWSaint »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:18 am Two spots, 12th and13th forwards, for four players that have to clear waivers.
Motte, Schaller, Goldobin, Eriksson

Eriksson over Goldobin in the first games. He scored, Goldobin nothing that stood out. Probably see Motte and Schaller tonight vrs Edmonton.
Leivo should be on that list.

Motte and Goldobin won't have to clear waivers. They could be traded for a pick or B/C prospect.

If Gaudette makes the team, add one more to cut/trade. (I think they start him in Utica and I think he tears it up there). Canucks could also keep 14 forwards, but I think the preference will be 8 D.
Hono_rary Canadian
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:04 am Leivo should be on that list.
:lol:

Saint hates Leivo like the dude and Gillis
If you need air...call it in
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:11 am

I don't hate Leivo. It is just that he is the most dangerous kind of not-all-that-good player. The one whose mistakes are less perceptible (but just as meaningful to the objective of scoring goals and keeping pucks out of your net) and seduces with the occasional good play.

I will add that he is very much a Canucks circa 2015 move. This team has moved beyond that.
Hono_rary Canadian
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:24 am

I don't hate Leivo. It is just that he is the most dangerous kind of not-all-that-good player. The one whose mistakes are less perceptible (but just as meaningful to the objective of scoring goals and keeping pucks out of your net) and seduces with the occasional good play.

I will add that he is very much a Canucks circa 2015 move. This team has moved beyond that.
I know buds...I'm just takin the piss outta ya. I'm not much of a fan of the Leivonator either
If you need air...call it in
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:37 am I thought Lind looked decent.
    He was noticeable on Sunday, too. I stopped in for the scrimmage and the practice session that followed. Sautner, Lind and Perron were the bright spots for the young guys.

At $5/person, we got a steal of a deal. Probably better value than the exhibition game and likely more entertaining. It's impressive watching these guys battle for spots at ice level.
    Mickey107
    MVP
    MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Oilers lineup in the morning skate:

Jurco-Marody-Peluso
    Granlund-Cave-Russell
    Benson-McLeod-Hebig
    Gambardella-Malone-Currie (Haas)

Nurse-Larsson
    Samorukov-Bouchard
    Manning-Bear (Jones)

Starrett
    Wells
    "evolution"
    Chef Boi RD
    MVP
    MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Leivo is a bit of J Chill Garrison throwback, Blobbee’s Boi. I don’t think Saint is out of order here.
    “Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
    Carl Yagro
    MVP
    MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:24 am

Man, that is exactly what I saw from Leivo last night.

Nothing great but nothing overly egregious either. He made plenty of mistakes from not passing, to (many) bad passes both in the offensive and neutral zones, to losing puck battles and giving the other team chances to turn it over but being too slow to get right back into the play.

He does these things a lot, even going back to most of last season.

For a big dude, he is regularly being outmuscled due to being wrongly positioned. He'll wow you with a few good offensive plays here and there, but the 5 or 6 not so good plays may not be perceptible to everyone.

"The most dangerous kind of not-all-that-good player". Bang on, UW.
    The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
    Mickey107
    MVP
    MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

who ever does the game thread, I made this one smaller.
    "evolution"
    SKYO
    MVP
    MVP

Post by SKYO »

It's just early preseason folks, Leivo shaking off the rust.

In the spring...
    Nine goals and 15 points in 35 games doesn’t jump out at you, but Leivo’s underlying numbers for the Canucks push him to the forefront as the team’s best option at left wing. His 1.16 goals per hour at five-on-five is best among forwards on the Canucks, and he’s shown some nifty playmaking skills as well.
    Leivo — acquired from the Toronto Maple leaves for Michael Carcone back in December – has scored 10 goals in 44 games with the Canucks. That puts him right near a 20-goal pace.
    Leivo would be a helluva 4th liner to add some scoring prowess on that line and can play on the 3rd line even 2nd line if need be, quality depth imo, LW/RW. Also had good CF% 54.4
    Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
    Mickey107
    MVP
    MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

SKYO wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:28 am It's just early preseason folks, Leivo shaking off the rust.

In the spring...
    Nine goals and 15 points in 35 games doesn’t jump out at you, but Leivo’s underlying numbers for the Canucks push him to the forefront as the team’s best option at left wing. His 1.16 goals per hour at five-on-five is best among forwards on the Canucks, and he’s shown some nifty playmaking skills as well.
    Leivo — acquired from the Toronto Maple Leaves for Michael Carcone back in December – has scored 10 goals in 44 games with the Canucks. That puts him right near a 20-goal pace.
    Leivo would be a helluva 4th liner to add some scoring prowess on that line and can play on the 3rd line even 2nd line if need be, quality depth imo, LW/RW. Also had good CF% 54.4
    Agree, and on a 1.5 mil, expiring contract, so now playing for his career, could work out favorably.
    "evolution"
    UWSaint
    MVP
    MVP

Post by UWSaint »

SKYO wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:28 am It's just early preseason folks, Leivo shaking off the rust.
    No, that's his game.
    SKYO wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:28 am In the spring...
    Leivo — acquired from the Toronto Maple Leaves for Michael Carcone back in December – has scored 10 goals in 49 games with the Canucks, playing most frequently along side Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser and getting plenty of first unit power play time. That puts him right near a 2017-goal pace,about 4.5 more goals than was his pace for the Maple leaves who ditched him for an AHL player.
    Quote edited for context and to provide final season stats with the Canucks.

Yes, what great spring numbers!

Leivo also had a whopping 8 assists in his 49 games with the Canucks, too -- a 13 assist pace! Art Ross in the making.

I'll give it to Leivo, though. His NHL career top stat lines are better than Reid Boucher's. (133/24/22 v. 133/20/22). Then again, being 4 months older than Boucher, one might expect another 4 points.
    Hono_rary Canadian
    Mickey107
    MVP
    MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
    Mickey107
    MVP
    MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Vancouver Canucks

Coach Green is hoping Boeser will skate the next three days and be ready to play Saturday in Utah.

Demko starts tonight. Good chance McIntyre plays as well.
    11:51 AM · Sep 17, 2019
    "evolution"
    Cherry Picker
    CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I'm convinced and agree with UW and will fix this post:

Three spots, 11th, 12th and13th forwards, for five players that have to clear waivers.
    Motte, Schaller, Goldobin, Eriksson, Lievo

Eriksson over Goldobin in the first games. He scored. Goldobin nothing that stood out.
    We are all Snidely Whiplash.