Page 223 of 231

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 am
by SKYO
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am Yuck.... Vatanen and Hamonic are Stecher level players at this point and they will both get paid a hell of a lot more. No thanks. Explore the trade route Elmer.
Vatanen would be good @ a cheap price & he'd help Juolevi I bet, finlanders

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 am
by Micky
SKYO wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am Yuck.... Vatanen and Hamonic are Stecher level players at this point and they will both get paid a hell of a lot more. No thanks. Explore the trade route Elmer.
Vatanen would be good @ a cheap price & he'd help Juolevi I bet, finlanders
He's coming off a 4,875,000 contract. He won't be cheap. Another 29 yr. old looking to set himself up.
If he was younger he could take dirt now till things get better.

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:58 am
by Micky
MacKenzie Weegar; Rumored to be possibly picked up by the Bruins.
Boston Bruins rumors: Mackenzie Weegar could help replace Torey Krug

https://chowderandchampions.com/2020/10 ... orey-krug/

If only we could get in on this. Now there's a replacement for Benn. Guess not.

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:37 pm
by Strangelove
Micky wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 am
SKYO wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am Yuck.... Vatanen and Hamonic are Stecher level players at this point and they will both get paid a hell of a lot more. No thanks. Explore the trade route Elmer.
Vatanen would be good @ a cheap price & he'd help Juolevi I bet, finlanders
He's coming off a 4,875,000 contract. He won't be cheap. Another 29 yr. old looking to set himself up.
If he was younger he could take dirt now till things get better.
Yeahno, the last contract doesn't matter, he'll be cheap...

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm
by ESQ
Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:37 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 am
SKYO wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am Yuck.... Vatanen and Hamonic are Stecher level players at this point and they will both get paid a hell of a lot more. No thanks. Explore the trade route Elmer.
Vatanen would be good @ a cheap price & he'd help Juolevi I bet, finlanders
He's coming off a 4,875,000 contract. He won't be cheap. Another 29 yr. old looking to set himself up.
If he was younger he could take dirt now till things get better.
Yeahno, the last contract doesn't matter, he'll be cheap...
I'm just speculating, but I wonder if letting Tanev go was deliberately moving on from such injury-prone players.

In which case, I can't see them getting Vatanen. Even if he signs for, say, $3 mil, that's $3 mil for 60-70 games a year.

I suppose maybe if they can move out Benn, replace him with Vatanen, then there's a bottom-pairing spot open for Olli/Rathbone/Rafferty. That would be great, except for the 20-30 games that Vatanen will miss means the bottom pairing will be all-rookies.

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:16 pm
by Madcombinepilot
ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:37 pm
Micky wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 am
SKYO wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am Yuck.... Vatanen and Hamonic are Stecher level players at this point and they will both get paid a hell of a lot more. No thanks. Explore the trade route Elmer.
Vatanen would be good @ a cheap price & he'd help Juolevi I bet, finlanders
He's coming off a 4,875,000 contract. He won't be cheap. Another 29 yr. old looking to set himself up.
If he was younger he could take dirt now till things get better.
Yeahno, the last contract doesn't matter, he'll be cheap...
I'm just speculating, but I wonder if letting Tanev go was deliberately moving on from such injury-prone players.

In which case, I can't see them getting Vatanen. Even if he signs for, say, $3 mil, that's $3 mil for 60-70 games a year.

I suppose maybe if they can move out Benn, replace him with Vatanen, then there's a bottom-pairing spot open for Olli/Rathbone/Rafferty. That would be great, except for the 20-30 games that Vatanen will miss means the bottom pairing will be all-rookies.
meh. We have had 1-3 rookies in the line up for the last few years in a row. Why we worried about it now?

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:06 pm
by Strangelove
ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm I'm just speculating, but I wonder if letting Tanev go was deliberately moving on from such injury-prone players.

In which case, I can't see them getting Vatanen. Even if he signs for, say, $3 mil, that's $3 mil for 60-70 games a year.
I know for a fact Jimmy (like most GMs?) takes injury-proneness into account when it comes to handing out dollars and term.

With Schmidt here, I doubt Jim has interest in Vatanen any longer.

ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm I suppose maybe if they can move out Benn, replace him with Vatanen, then there's a bottom-pairing spot open for Olli/Rathbone/Rafferty. That would be great, except for the 20-30 games that Vatanen will miss means the bottom pairing will be all-rookies.
So tough to move out contracts now, might as well ride out Benn's last year?

I could be wrong, but it felt like Benn redeemed himself a little in Green's eyes in the post-season.

Or am I out to lunch on that one?

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:42 pm
by Hockey Widow
Benn was a decent 7-8 guy for the team. The guy can't skate but he played tough along the walls. if we can trade him for an 8th round pick sure but otherwise let hm ride the press box for the year. We need someone to fill that role and better him than one of the kids. Now that Sautner is back .......

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:48 pm
by Topper
BCExpat wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:27 am
Micky wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:35 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am Yuck.... Vatanen and Hamonic are Stecher level players at this point and they will both get paid a hell of a lot more. No thanks. Explore the trade route Elmer.
Vatanen coming off a $4,875,000 multi yr. deal. 29yrs. old.

Hamonic coming off a $3,857,143 multi yr. deal. 30yrs. old.

Way too much will be paid to these players. They are still there cause things aren't as rosy right now. Will still get too much.
Hamonic was a heart and soul guy for the Flames. He would be a good addition for the Canucks, depending upon the price.
baubles disparaging the lil trojan? Little late in the year for flip flops and waffle cones

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 pm
by Richardstroker69
Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:06 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm I'm just speculating, but I wonder if letting Tanev go was deliberately moving on from such injury-prone players.

In which case, I can't see them getting Vatanen. Even if he signs for, say, $3 mil, that's $3 mil for 60-70 games a year.
I know for a fact Jimmy (like most GMs?) takes injury-proneness into account when it comes to handing out dollars and term.

With Schmidt here, I doubt Jim has interest in Vatanen any longer.

ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm I suppose maybe if they can move out Benn, replace him with Vatanen, then there's a bottom-pairing spot open for Olli/Rathbone/Rafferty. That would be great, except for the 20-30 games that Vatanen will miss means the bottom pairing will be all-rookies.
So tough to move out contracts now, might as well ride out Benn's last year?

I could be wrong, but it felt like Benn redeemed himself a little in Green's eyes in the post-season.

Or am I out to lunch on that one?
Ben got to finally play a little more on the right side, and I think Travis realizes he’s a lot more confident there.

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:55 pm
by Megaterio Llamas
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:01 pm
Strangelove wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:06 pm
ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm I'm just speculating, but I wonder if letting Tanev go was deliberately moving on from such injury-prone players.

In which case, I can't see them getting Vatanen. Even if he signs for, say, $3 mil, that's $3 mil for 60-70 games a year.
I know for a fact Jimmy (like most GMs?) takes injury-proneness into account when it comes to handing out dollars and term.

With Schmidt here, I doubt Jim has interest in Vatanen any longer.

ESQ wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:11 pm I suppose maybe if they can move out Benn, replace him with Vatanen, then there's a bottom-pairing spot open for Olli/Rathbone/Rafferty. That would be great, except for the 20-30 games that Vatanen will miss means the bottom pairing will be all-rookies.
So tough to move out contracts now, might as well ride out Benn's last year?

I could be wrong, but it felt like Benn redeemed himself a little in Green's eyes in the post-season.

Or am I out to lunch on that one?
Ben got to finally play a little more on the right side, and I think Travis realizes he’s a lot more confident there.
Sure hope so. Travis was late to the party on that seemingly obvious detail.

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:43 pm
by UWSaint
Switching gears to a post about the lack of rumors or buzz, what's up with the Rangers?

They are around the cap floor with two somewhat significant RFA's -- Strome (the lesser) and D'Angelo. They can sign them easily and be within the cap. They could even sign them to longer term deals, though I would think that the Rangers D is going to be built around Fox and Trouba (D'Angelo is a pretty decent player, though) and Strome the lesser strikes me as that offensively skilled guy losing teams have around play meaningful minutes and who leaves whenever a rebuild is complete.

The Rangers moved out salary -- Staal and Lundvist. The former traded with a second rounder for "future considerations" and the latter bought out (to modest cap savings this year and significant savings next year). Next year they have between 8-9 million coming off their books from buyouts and a some RFAs that they will want to keep around. One might think they are waiting for next year to make their bigger moves -- and there's a good argument that they should do that given where they are in their process -- but paying another team a second rounder to take Staal off this year's books (his contract is up at the end of this year) isn't a logical move unless something is going to happen this year. And given how the Rangers played during the second part of last year and with the addition of Lafreniere, they might be about ready to take off and a high quality player or two now is what they would need. So maybe they tried and failed to make something happen with Krug or Pietrangelo, but I'm thinking the Rangers are lying in wait for something else and taking a book out of the Sakic playbook. So if you are the GM of the Rangers, who are you targeting?

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:14 pm
by The Brown Wizard
UWSaint wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:43 pm So if you are the GM of the Rangers, who are you targeting?
Until Hall signed on I would've guessed they had eyes for Jack Eichel. Its possible they had a trade drawn up but Hall ruined it all

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:45 pm
by ESQ
UWSaint wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:43 pm So maybe they tried and failed to make something happen with Krug or Pietrangelo, but I'm thinking the Rangers are lying in wait for something else and taking a book out of the Sakic playbook. So if you are the GM of the Rangers, who are you targeting?
Does Sakic have a playbook, or does the Avalanche have a strict internal cap? I think its more the latter - they've been nearer the floor than the ceiling for many years. Which is very unfortunate, as they are undoubtedly wasting the best years of Mackinnon's career without ever gearing up for a run, and with the contract he's on they could have probably used the cap space to at least make the finals.

I think that Giguere said following their first "bad" season in 08/09 that they were done with spending big because ticket sales were down, and even though their attendance has been very good (according to ESPN), they're still not using that cap space for anything.

As for the Rags, as far as I can tell the owner, James Dolan, only has business interests in Pro sports - Knicks, Rags, WNBA, AHL franchises. Its hard to imagine a billionaire who's fortune is so un-diversified and so exposed to COVID's economic impact.

When I saw the Rags' moves, I thought for sure they were jumpstarting the rebuild with UFA shopping, but perhaps they're just sticking to a budget until they can sell tickets again?

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:05 pm
by Hockey Widow
Or none the UFAs wanted any part of them?