Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:52 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:01 pm Miller will be with Petterson next year, book it!
Their right winger is probably Boeser but could be Toffoli.
The Canucks are stronger down the middle than on the wing.
No reason to steal from Peter to pay Paul.
I disagree that we’re stronger down the middle unless we see a big change in gaudette’s game. Gaudette was exposed bad in the playoffs.
So were several other players on the team.

Some folks ant handle a rebuild
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I've been waiting for Gaudette to show us that he's got the next level in him, but I'm not seeing it. Playoffs or not, the effort seems to be there, but I see him as a placeholder now, and not part of the long term core. Jake is making a case to be in the same boat.

I've been rooting for both of these guys, but not every signing is going to make a big impact. We've got more forwards coming down the pipeline, and Jake the Hockey_Gaud will be bounced. If Jake had some snarl, he could fill a spot nicely on the 3rd line, but I haven't seen that either.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
Megaterio Llamas
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:58 pm I've been waiting for Gaudette to show us that he's got the next level in him, but I'm not seeing it. Playoffs or not, the effort seems to be there, but I see him as a placeholder now, and not part of the long term core. Jake is making a case to be in the same boat.

I've been rooting for both of these guys, but not every signing is going to make a big impact. We've got more forwards coming down the pipeline, and Jake the Hockey_Gaud will be bounced. If Jake had some snarl, he could fill a spot nicely on the 3rd line, but I haven't seen that either.
I'd like to see Gaud on the wing for a spell before I'm ready to close the book on him. I don't really see a top 12 role for him at the NHL level just now. At least, not at center.
el rey del mambo
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:04 pm
Cornuck wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:58 pm I've been waiting for Gaudette to show us that he's got the next level in him, but I'm not seeing it. Playoffs or not, the effort seems to be there, but I see him as a placeholder now, and not part of the long term core. Jake is making a case to be in the same boat.

I'd like to see Gaud on the wing for a spell before I'm ready to close the book on him. I don't really see a top 12 role for him at the NHL level just now. At least, not at center.
Agree that’s why I think miller should play center.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I like Gaudette’s pace when he’s on. He moves fast, thinks fast. I think over time he will get better. He just needs time and to get stronger. You can tell he’s hungry and wants to always improve. I wouldn’t give up on him to quickly. Plus he’s a centre, so with Sutter and Beagle on their way out the Canucks are very thin at centre.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:03 pm

I like Gaudette’s pace when he’s on. He moves fast, thinks fast. I think over time he will get better. He just needs time and to get stronger. You can tell he’s hungry and wants to always improve. I wouldn’t give up on him to quickly. Plus he’s a centre, so with Sutter and Beagle on their way out the Canucks are very thin at centre.
Miller really helped Petey’s center game, I think he could do the same for gaudette.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:05 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Miller really helped Petey’s center game, I think he could do the same for gaudette.
Yeah I’m not ready to give up on Gaudette, I keep seeing bits in his game that makes me think He could potentially put it all together and be a very good depth player.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Not many centres would look great between Sutter and Roussel?
We are all Jim Benning.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:40 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:36 am
Chef Boi RD wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:29 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:02 pm I really want to see what we have in Jew-Levi again though. He shocked me with how well he played....
Don’t be like Doyle, the book IS NOT written on Olli
Juolevi has said this last camp was the first time in over a year he has been able to play and skate without pain. His ceiling is still there as a stud top 4 minute muncher. Don’t buy into the bs surrounding this guy.
He looked like a confident and capable NHL dman coming out of this camp. That bodes well for the Bennaplan
And the good thing is, whenever Juolevi joined/re-joined the Comets he quickly become the go to Dman pretty quick, playing in 5v5, powerplay and penalty kill duties, Mr. high IQ all-round dman.

And that game vs the Jets he was playing some smart hockey, looked every bit the NHL dman part out there making confident plays.
canucksway after the Jets game;

The big thing that stuck out was how good Juolevi’s footwork looked at both ends of the ice. This was noticed by both observers and his teammates, as Troy Stecher, who was paired with Juolevi during the last scrimmage of training camp noted that Juolevi’s footwork looked “a lot better” than the last time he had seen him play.

On the offensive side, Juolevi showed an ability to get quick shots through traffic and most importantly, past the first defender closing in on him at the point.

Juolevi’s play at camp came almost as a surprise to many, including head coach Travis Green:

“He’s slowly getting better everyday I think…He’s surprised me in a good way. I think he’s been pretty solid. We’re trying to work with him a bit more on the side than other guys. Trying to get him to push himself to get better everyday.”

He was calm under pressure, confident with and without the puck, and most of all, his skating looked fine. He came into camp as someone relatively below the radar, jumped ahead of two players on the depth chart, and earned himself a spot on the playoff roster.

Juolevi represents a cost-controlled asset and if the Canucks can compile a competent left side blue line consisting of Quinn Hughes, Jack Rathbone, and Olli Juolevi once Alex Edler departs, they’ll be more than happy.
and with Benning saying likely Juolevi starts with the team next season, Olli will have a big learning curve for the 2020/21 season.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Petey
Miller
Gaudette
Horvat

Makes sense to me. Maybe Horvat could moonlight as the 7th D or the 3rd goalie. Either way he could scratch out 5 or 6 minutes with this rotation. Or perhaps bring Sutter back and he can be the 13th forward.

Yeah no..... go back to your tether ball and your intramurals. I’ll take the guy STILL LEADING the NHL PLAYOFFS as my 2nd line horse. Dungeons and Dragons called.... they are lacking a few geeks.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

SKYO wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:30 pm
and with Benning saying likely Juolevi starts with the team next season, Olli will have a big learning curve for the 2020/21 season.
Itll be interesting to see how Benning builds next years defense. Will he give this group another kick or look to bring in another asset from outside...

His track record with such matters suggests hes going to give them another go and hope for a Juolevi or Rathbone to step up, maybe even try to play a guy on his offside.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:17 pm Petey
Miller
Gaudette
Horvat

Makes sense to me. Maybe Horvat could moonlight as the 7th D or the 3rd goalie. Either way he could scratch out 5 or 6 minutes with this rotation. Or perhaps bring Sutter back and he can be the 13th forward.

Yeah no..... go back to your tether ball and your intramurals. I’ll take the guy STILL LEADING the NHL PLAYOFFS as my 2nd line horse. Dungeons and Dragons called.... they are lacking a few geeks.
:lol:

Chef....for fucks sake man. Why the hell would the team ever disrupt the Miller~Pettersson chemistry? Miller punched in over 70 points and Pettersson was tracking to a 30G/80P sophmore season. Not to mention Horvat was a fuckin beast in all 3 zones this post season.

Rediculous!
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

NEXT SEASON:

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Myers
Rath/OJ - Giant motherfucking asshole
Rath/OJ - Rafferty

Yeah, pretty sure that's what I want, even if I have been "drinking like Blob" tonight. :drink:

*hick*
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I think if OJ makes the team, they are hoping he can trend onto the second pairing with Myers. That lets them control Edlers ice time by keeping him on the bottom pairing.

The thought of Edler playing 25+ minutes at his age scares the shit out of me.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Olli is as big as Carl Shoulders Yagro now. OJ is primed for prime time whether Doyle likes it or not