Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
CC Legend

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Meds »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:01 pm
SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:25 pm Sens need young bodies:

Stecher, Virtanen, Baertschi to Ottawa for a 2nd + 3rd.

Use those picks to dump Eriksson to Detroit or somewhere like that.

done deal.
I like the way you slipped Bartie in there and made it still look somewhat palatable. :D
For Ottawa it might be. A late 20's middle-6 winger.....he might actually crack their roster, and at $3M he's on a decent salary for his remaining year.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Meds wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:56 am

done deal.
I like the way you slipped Bartie in there and made it still look somewhat palatable. :D
For Ottawa it might be. A late 20's middle-6 winger.....he might actually crack their roster, and at $3M he's on a decent salary for his remaining year.
Also a former member of the short lived but cool named RoBoBaer line! 8-)
(Rödin - Bo Horvat - Baertschi)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Megaterio Llamas
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

done deal.
I think he's an AHL player at this point. None of the 43 Ahl and the 6 NHL games he played last year suggest otherwise. How many times did he clear waivers last year, wasn't it like 3 times?

He'll report to Utica whenever an AHL season finally begins and collect a pretty nice paycheck this year.
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bob McKenzie saying the Rangers asked Buffalo about Eichels availability?

Hmmmm, what’s it going to take? They are desperate for another centre. The Rangers have lots of pieces

Lafrenierre and D’Angelo?
Lafrenierre and Shesterkin?
Lafrenierre alone?
Lafrenierre and K’Andre Miller?

Kreider, Kravtsov, Shesterkin?
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:54 am Bob McKenzie saying the Rangers asked Buffalo about Eichels availability?

Hmmmm, what’s it going to take? They are desperate for another centre. The Rangers have lots of pieces

Lafrenierre and D’Angelo?
Lafrenierre and Shesterkin?
Lafrenierre alone?
Lafrenierre and K’Andre Miller?

Kreider, Kravtsov, Shesterkin?

Who is Lafrenierre being compared to? He's still a prospect, yes I know he is probably being labelled a 'can't miss', but I would not trade Eichel straight up for him.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

They won't get equivalent value back for Eichel, they'll have to take a package if they want to move him. He is at the same level as Petey or Hughes, but I wouldn't move Petey or Hughes for him, just because they are already established Canucks and I wouldn't see how the trade would help the team overall. A package of something like Brock and Bo would have to be given, but that is a ton to give up, and would be a tough choice to make. Lafrenierre is probably more valued in the league than Bo or Brock, so Laffy and something decent should get the job done, but only if they have to move Eichel, otherwise you would never trade him.
We are all Jim Benning.
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:50 am

done deal.
I think he's an AHL player at this point. None of the 43 Ahl and the 6 NHL games he played last year suggest otherwise. How many times did he clear waivers last year, wasn't it like 3 times?

He'll report to Utica whenever an AHL season finally begins and collect a pretty nice paycheck this year.
Yeah el barto will be a much cheaper cap dump as last season he had a year and half on his contract, now it's just a year, plus when the canucks were healthy we had the beef/size on LW JT Miller, Ferland, Pearson and the pesky Roussel, so Baertschi was cut, but he's proven he can be a 15 goal scorer in the league and is a decent depth option for a team needing to rebuild like the Sens who got a lot of holes to fill.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

theman wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:03 pm
So, hypothetically speaking, .............................would you spend next year's 1st to get 6mil in extra cap space over the next two years?

Honestly, not sure I would.
I'm with you. Unless there was a realistic shot at a great high-end UFA on a good contract - like, Pietro for $7.5 mil, Barrie for $4.5 x 2 or something like that. Otherwise, the opportunity cost of keeping Loui is too low to justify spending that much to ditch him.

I wonder if the buyout calculations will get all fucky, since he's received the July 1 bonus for next season.

If they trade him now, and the receiving team buys him out...CapFriendly says the 20/21 "Post buyout earnings" would be $3.66 mil, but he's already received $3 mil from the Canucks. So a receiving team could buy him out, spend $666k for the next 4 years and have $10.66 mil in cap hit spread out over those years.

If there is a "true" cap floor team, next year they'd spend $666k and get $5.666 mil in cap hit.

Doc, your thoughts?
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Hockey writers talking about potential Blue Jackets and Canucks trades, as the BJ's need some depth scoring and could look at Pearson or Virtanen, and CBJ's got a lot of dmen.

https://thehockeywriters.com/blue-jacke ... ners-2020/

Out of the blue! trade for Savard, he'd be a great fit long term with Hughes.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

done deal.
Why not just a straight up Stech and Ericksson to Ottawa for a 3rd. Ericksson is the cap munching king this year for teams that want to save real dollars. If he is bought out next year, he provides $11 in cap hit for just $4 million of real dollars, before the escrow adjustment. And, with their fan base, no-one will be watching his games anyways :D
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

While Baertschi cleared waivers twice last year (maybe three times), the fact that his contract is done after this season makes considerable difference in terms of whether its movable. I would think that his performance in the AHL last year would have translated into something pretty similar to what he had been doing in the NHL. For a season, it isn't unreasonable to think Baertschi will give a team in the neighborhood of .25 goals per game and .5 points per game -- that's what his rate was in the four seasons he played with the Canucks (and it is exactly in line with his production in the AHL, where the point conversion rate to NHL is about .5, though obviously is quite variable depending on the particularities of the player's game).

This productivity has value to (1) teams that are in the rebuilding process and need wings to put up a serviceable starting lineup and (2) teams that are in the playoff hunt and have a question mark on wing, have an injury on wing, or want to try putting together a third "scoring line". This isn't terribly different as to why would a guy like Vanek is signed -- because there's a little bit of keep-you-in-games player and the potential to get a 2d-5th round draft pick come the trade deadline. Point is, it isn't totally unreasonable to think Baertschi could be claimed off waivers this year and conceivably he becomes a tradeable asset if Canucks retain a little salary. The cap relief is going to be minimal the more salary that is retained, but its not nothing and its possible every little bit might count.
Hono_rary Canadian
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:18 am While Baertschi cleared waivers twice last year (maybe three times), the fact that his contract is done after this season makes considerable difference in terms of whether its movable. I would think that his performance in the AHL last year would have translated into something pretty similar to what he had been doing in the NHL. For a season, it isn't unreasonable to think Baertschi will give a team in the neighborhood of .25 goals per game and .5 points per game -- that's what his rate was in the four seasons he played with the Canucks (and it is exactly in line with his production in the AHL, where the point conversion rate to NHL is about .5, though obviously is quite variable depending on the particularities of the player's game).

This productivity has value to (1) teams that are in the rebuilding process and need wings to put up a serviceable starting lineup and (2) teams that are in the playoff hunt and have a question mark on wing, have an injury on wing, or want to try putting together a third "scoring line". This isn't terribly different as to why would a guy like Vanek is signed -- because there's a little bit of keep-you-in-games player and the potential to get a 2d-5th round draft pick come the trade deadline. Point is, it isn't totally unreasonable to think Baertschi could be claimed off waivers this year and conceivably he becomes a tradeable asset if Canucks retain a little salary. The cap relief is going to be minimal the more salary that is retained, but its not nothing and its possible every little bit might count.
Excellent points. I do think he is tradeable this offseason and someone else also pointed out that Loui becomes more tradeable next off season too, pretty much for the same reasons you pointed out above.

Also, I believe, Baertschi stayed healthy all of last season as well, which would count in his and Canucks favour in any potential trade.
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

theman wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:34 am
UWSaint wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:18 am While Baertschi cleared waivers twice last year (maybe three times), the fact that his contract is done after this season makes considerable difference in terms of whether its movable. I would think that his performance in the AHL last year would have translated into something pretty similar to what he had been doing in the NHL. For a season, it isn't unreasonable to think Baertschi will give a team in the neighborhood of .25 goals per game and .5 points per game -- that's what his rate was in the four seasons he played with the Canucks (and it is exactly in line with his production in the AHL, where the point conversion rate to NHL is about .5, though obviously is quite variable depending on the particularities of the player's game).

Excellent points. I do think he is tradeable this offseason and someone else also pointed out that Loui becomes more tradeable next off season too, pretty much for the same reasons you pointed out above.

Also, I believe, Baertschi stayed healthy all of last season as well, which would count in his and Canucks favour in any potential trade.
He didn't do himself any favors opting out of the return to play. (Kole Lind took his spot). It wouldn't have been beyond the realm of possibility
that he may have seen action. Injuries, a shake-up needed or just plain killing it at practice and getting the attention of his coach.
Jim Benning wasn't the only GM attending in the bubbles. Makes me wonder just how serious he is about continuing to play NHL hockey, and all
the rigors that go with it. He had a decent year in Utica putting up points. He does have very good skills, however, for the most part, he was
able to fly around without much fierce, heavy checking. That's the part of the NHL game he doesn't want to be involved in. It's his compete
at the NHL level that is in question, unfortunately. Remember seeing him skating away from or taking as minimum role possible in scrums.
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ESQ wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:47 am I wonder if the buyout calculations will get all fucky, since he's received the July 1 bonus for next season.

If they trade him now, and the receiving team buys him out...CapFriendly says the 20/21 "Post buyout earnings" would be $3.66 mil, but he's already received $3 mil from the Canucks. So a receiving team could buy him out, spend $666k for the next 4 years and have $10.66 mil in cap hit spread out over those years.

If there is a "true" cap floor team, next year they'd spend $666k and get $5.666 mil in cap hit.

Doc, your thoughts?
When you use the buyout calculator at CapFriendly...

To get the total real money number a team will pay the player post-buyout, you must add together these 2 things:

BUYOUT COST + S.BONUS REMAINING

(full signing bonuses continue to be paid on schedule post-buyout)

But you are correct in assuming the numbers are somewhat fucky due to the extended Covid season.

Capfriendly has Loui's S.BONUS REMAINING at $4M, but it should actually be $1M because his $3M bonus was paid on July 15th.

So a team buying out Loui this year would pay $666,667-per-yr for 4 years + $1M SB (on July 15 2021).

Total real bucks = $3,666,667 spread over 4 years.

Cap hit = $5,666,667 in 2020, $3,666,667 in 2021, $666,667 in 2022, $666,667 in 2023.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:49 pm He didn't do himself any favors opting out of the return to play. (Kole Lind took his spot). It wouldn't have been beyond the realm of possibility
that he may have seen action. Injuries, a shake-up needed or just plain killing it at practice and getting the attention of his coach.
Jim Benning wasn't the only GM attending in the bubbles. Makes me wonder just how serious he is about continuing to play NHL hockey, and all
the rigors that go with it. He had a decent year in Utica putting up points. He does have very good skills, however, for the most part, he was
able to fly around without much fierce, heavy checking. That's the part of the NHL game he doesn't want to be involved in. It's his compete
at the NHL level that is in question, unfortunately. Remember seeing him skating away from or taking as minimum role possible in scrums.
I wonder if Canucks convinced him to opt out?

"Sven, you want us to trade you, well we need to ensure you are 100% healthy in the off-season to do so."

There is no way an NHLer-for-years like Baertschi wants to play in the AHL.

There's the pride factor and there's also the receive-the-next-multimillion-dollar-contract factor (he's only 27).

I disagree with you that he avoids scrums any more than he ever did.

He's never been a scrum-type player... and that's okay sometimes.

No matter what happens this year, if he stays healthy for another full season + puts up some points

... he'll get another contract somewhere IMO. (might have to take a big pay cut, depending)

As for trading him right now, I think it can be done with a not-too-large sweetener.

Or include him in a larger deal?

Real dollars remaining on his contract = $2.4M.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!