Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:08 pm
2Fingers wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:04 am
Tciso wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:57 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:33 pm
Strangelove wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 pm
Trade them Demko to unload a coupla bad contracts in the package? :mex:
If you want to lose the Cup yeah do that. haha, but really demko >> ceiling much higher than Marky's at this point.
I gotta agree with SKYO. We have a few bad contracts, and a few good UFA's. Benning will be undoing a lot of great drafting if he starts unloading prospects or picks to get rid of any of our bad contracts. Pickup a back-up. Ride out a tough season (aren't they all tough?), and keep going.
If it was only 1 season I would agree but it is 2 seasons so what SL is the best of all options. He also said we could get back a 2nd and I agree, Demko has really raised his value so why not move him now?
It's because you look at the contenders and the losers and the teams that shine have clutch goaltending and Demko (24yrs) has proven that he has that ability in his very young NHL career, dude has ice in his veins... while Marky has looked shaky a bit in his playoff premiere at 30yrs of age with 3 AHL years and over 8 years of NHL experience while expecting around $6M AAV as a UFA allegedly.
Well obviously you have fallen head over heels in love with Mr Demko. :oops:

Marko is a proven #1 workhorse who can win under pressure (when not struggling with a groin injury).

Demko is a guy who has not proven he can handle a #1's workload.

Three fantastic games in four days in September doesn't change that fact.

(you silly smitten fool you) :wink:

Loui + Sven + Thatcher for the 32nd overall pick in the 2020 NHL entry draft. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Wonder if the tender pole would be the same now as it was last week.
"evolution"
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:57 pm
Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:14 am The window to sign Petey and Hughes is already open. A new contract will start the year after next season. I agree with Dolye. Get that done first. In fact you can probably use the UFA contracts as leverage, something like, "if we can get these contracts signed now and can determine our budget, we have a better chance to offer Tanev a contract."
Not sure I understand that kind of leverage.

I'd like to see Pete and Hughie signed this off-season too, but there's no rush.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but if you sign those 2 and they want to re-sign the 3 big UFAs + all the RFAs

... we could run into tagging issues at some point.

Maybe not, whatever, but either way the priority for me is to clear some cap-space.
Exactomundo, for Petey and Hughes, I'd like to take the Penguins (CROSBY/MALKIN) and Blackhawks (KANE/TOEWS) multiple champions route to re-signing those guys, not the disastrous Oilers, Leaves (marner/matthews) and Sabres (eichel) route of super overpaying immediately after a ELC.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:14 am The window to sign Petey and Hughes is already open. A new contract will start the year after next season. I agree with Dolye. Get that done first. In fact you can probably use the UFA contracts as leverage, something like, "if we can get these contracts signed now and can determine our budget, we have a better chance to offer Tanev a contract."

I'd like to see Pete and Hughie signed this off-season too, but there's no rush.

I haven't looked at the numbers, but if you sign those 2 and they want to re-sign the 3 big UFAs + all the RFAs

Maybe not, whatever, but either way the priority for me is to clear some cap-space.
Ask the Leaves if they shoulda signed Marner a year earlier than they did. IMHO I’m having those conversations and opening negotiations before I give a shit about any of the UFA or RFA. Getting those guys on eight year deals for the bulk of their primes should be of paramount importance.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:15 pm

Ask the Leaves if they shoulda signed Marner a year earlier than they did. IMHO I’m having those conversations and opening negotiations before I give a shit about any of the UFA or RFA. Getting those guys on eight year deals for the bulk of their primes should be of paramount importance.
Relax, I said I too want them re-signed this off-season. :wow:

I'm guessing you don't know what tagging room is.

Free up some cap space first (read Eriksson) then sign those two.

Have a drink Hargraves! MMMMMMM a l c o h o l MMMMMMmmmmm......
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

I can see a team pick up Baertschi & then spruce up his scoring with good ice time & then ship him off at the trade deadline for a 3rd or 4th rounder.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:54 pm I can see a team pick up Baertschi & then spruce up his scoring with good ice time & then ship him off at the trade deadline for a 3rd or 4th rounder.
It will still cost Vancouver something to get rid of him. Either they retain a substantial chunk of $$ or they pay to get rid of him or they take another shitty contract back.
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:20 am
SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:54 pm I can see a team pick up Baertschi & then spruce up his scoring with good ice time & then ship him off at the trade deadline for a 3rd or 4th rounder.
It will still cost Vancouver something to get rid of him. Either they retain a substantial chunk of $$ or they pay to get rid of him or they take another shitty contract back.
In this current cap climate they would be smarter to try and move him with a 3rd or 4th rounder in exchange for a 5th-7th rounder.

There's also the chance that Baertschi bolts for Europe. He was one of the ones who opted not to comeback in July, most speculate that it's because he knew he didn't have a snowball's chance of making the cut. If he cuts and runs we're free and clear and don't have to worry about it.

If there's no AHL season next year (which isn't improbable) then you can bet guys like him will take off to European leagues if there's a spot for them.
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Meds wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:32 pm
In this current cap climate they would be smarter to try and move him with a 3rd or 4th rounder in exchange for a 5th-7th rounder.

There's also the chance that Baertschi bolts for Europe. He was one of the ones who opted not to comeback in July, most speculate that it's because he knew he didn't have a snowball's chance of making the cut. If he cuts and runs we're free and clear and don't have to worry about it.

If there's no AHL season next year (which isn't improbable) then you can bet guys like him will take off to European leagues if there's a spot for them.
You think he’s bolting and leaving his 3.15 million owed to him?
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:00 pm
Meds wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:32 pm

You think he’s bolting and leaving his 3.15 million owed to him?
For a chance to play? Yes.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

If he believes in himself (which seems to be the case), then he should want to keep playing, prove himself and find an NHL team that wants him so he can continue his career. So, lose one year's salary to make 10 more? Or not play for a year and hope you can get back at it? He should have enough money left over from previous years to eat and keep a roof over his head.

As for Loui - it's a lot more money, so for him to leave 12 million on the table is less likely to happen.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

I think he’d be nuts to leave 3.15 million on the table. I don’t see him getting much more than a tryout with another team. I don’t think he’d make anywhere close to that in Europe. He’s better off coming to camp and trying to make the Canucks and no matter if he makes the team, or goes to the AHL if they have season, or gets loaned out to a team in Europe, he gets his cake. Him terminating is some wishful thinking, same for Louis. The players hold all the cards due to the fact there’s a good chance there’s no AHL season and the Canucks would lose any leverage they had.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 pm I think he’d be nuts to leave 3.15 million on the table. I don’t see him getting much more than a tryout with another team. I don’t think he’d make anywhere close to that in Europe. He’s better off coming to camp and trying to make the Canucks and no matter if he makes the team, or goes to the AHL if they have season, or gets loaned out to a team in Europe, he gets his cake. Him terminating is some wishful thinking, same for Louis. The players hold all the cards due to the fact there’s a good chance there’s no AHL season and the Canucks would lose any leverage they had.
Well in reality Baer would be walking away from less than $2M ($2.4M real bucks - 20% escrow = $1.92M)

... but I agree with you.

Trade the Baer with a sweetener to somewhere like Ottawa or Detroit.

He is an NHLer (a very mediocre #6 forward on a rebuilding team) if he stays healthy.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:13 pm As for Loui - it's a lot more money, so for him to leave 12 million on the table is less likely to happen.
Well in reality Loui would be walking away from $4M ($5M real bucks - 20% escrow = $4M)

... but I agree with you.

Trade Loui with a sweetener to somewhere like Ottawa or Detroit.

He is an NHLer (a soft bottom 6 forward/penalty-killer on a rebuilding team) .
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:47 pm I think he’d be nuts to leave 3.15 million on the table. I don’t see him getting much more than a tryout with another team. I don’t think he’d make anywhere close to that in Europe. He’s better off coming to camp and trying to make the Canucks and no matter if he makes the team, or goes to the AHL if they have season, or gets loaned out to a team in Europe, he gets his cake. Him terminating is some wishful thinking, same for Louis. The players hold all the cards due to the fact there’s a good chance there’s no AHL season and the Canucks would lose any leverage they had.
Fair points, but a few details that I just learned:

His cash owed for next year is $2.4 million, his contract was slightly front-loaded. Minus 20% for escrow, that's $1.92 mil.

If he terminates, and signs in, say, the hometown Swiss league, he could make up to $500k - with his pedigree, plus the fact that he woudn't take up an Int'l roster slot, he might get top dollar. Then, he could earn most of that salary before NHL reg season begins (assuming its Jan 1, that's after 3 full months of Swiss league play).

So, he could either terminate and go earn $500 k with an out-clause to come back to the NHL (the roster cut-off for UFAs from Europe is usually early-December, so this year would be...early-March?). Or, he could finish the year in Switzerland (playoffs end in April), and be ready to go for a job in 21/22.