Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2327
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Lancer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:27 pm

Trade Stetcher when one of Juolevi, Rathbone or Woo are ready to be NHL regulars. I don't mind him on the roster - especially as a place-holder until the blueline system starts producing regulars. We're not there yet. Maybe in the off-season. Trade him now and watch the hockey gods wipe out half the blueline with long-term injuries.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Raile
AHL Prospect
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:24 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Raile » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:51 pm

ESQ wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:35 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:13 am
Jovocop wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:19 am
Cherry Picker wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 am
I have no idea why the Canucks would get rid of depth for picks considering where they are in the standings. Stecher had a mediocre game, but so did many others. He is still and NHL level Dman. One injury to Tanev or Myers and people will be complaining endlessly if he were traded away.
Stecher does not provide much offense and he is defensively ok, not great like Tanev. If the Canucks trade Stecher, it would be a package (+ one of the forwards or picks) to get a better right handed defenseman.
This Id have no problem with. But to just get rid of him because he’s short or you irrationally hate the guy makes no sense. They had depth in Biega but coughed it up. Anyone in the top 4 gets hurt and they’re fucked if they had just given up Stecher for table scraps.
Doyle, you don't think Rafferty is ready for Stecher's 13:44 of ice time?

Its not like anyone's saying Rafferty is ready to step into the top-4, we're talking about replacing the team's worst dman with the lowest TOI. That's exactly the position that should be filled from the farm.
Is Rafferty ready for top 4 time? That's what he'd be doing at some point in the near future. Not long back most here pencilled in both Tanev and Edler for a minimum dozen games of injuries expected, each.

We're playing very well right now, way above expectations, no one is injured, and there's a lot of talk here as if neither of these will change over the next 67 (though at least it's the right thread for crazy). I will be shocked if Rafferty doesn't get his chance naturally through injuries at some point. Then if he looks like a fit, trade Stetcher, but not before.

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 6762
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Meds » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:23 pm

Raile wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:51 pm
ESQ wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:35 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:13 am
Jovocop wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:19 am
Cherry Picker wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 am
I have no idea why the Canucks would get rid of depth for picks considering where they are in the standings. Stecher had a mediocre game, but so did many others. He is still and NHL level Dman. One injury to Tanev or Myers and people will be complaining endlessly if he were traded away.
Stecher does not provide much offense and he is defensively ok, not great like Tanev. If the Canucks trade Stecher, it would be a package (+ one of the forwards or picks) to get a better right handed defenseman.
This Id have no problem with. But to just get rid of him because he’s short or you irrationally hate the guy makes no sense. They had depth in Biega but coughed it up. Anyone in the top 4 gets hurt and they’re fucked if they had just given up Stecher for table scraps.
Doyle, you don't think Rafferty is ready for Stecher's 13:44 of ice time?

Its not like anyone's saying Rafferty is ready to step into the top-4, we're talking about replacing the team's worst dman with the lowest TOI. That's exactly the position that should be filled from the farm.
Is Rafferty ready for top 4 time? That's what he'd be doing at some point in the near future. Not long back most here pencilled in both Tanev and Edler for a minimum dozen games of injuries expected, each.

We're playing very well right now, way above expectations, no one is injured, and there's a lot of talk here as if neither of these will change over the next 67 (though at least it's the right thread for crazy). I will be shocked if Rafferty doesn't get his chance naturally through injuries at some point. Then if he looks like a fit, trade Stetcher, but not before.
I don't think it's so much a case of us playing way above our heads as it is other teams being a bit surprised and not playing up to par.

We looked lost in our first two games. We lost to the Cup champs. We lost to first overall Washington in a 3rd period collapse. We shit the bed against New Jersey even though we controlled the puck. We lost to Anaheim against the run of play.

If you watched last year and the first month of this year you will see the difference is primarily in two key areas. One, we are skating way more and way harder. Two we are passing the puck around quickly in the offensive zone and not getting hemmed into the corners like we used to. That is complemented by a much better forecheck that turns the puck back over with much more success when teams do get possession and try to transition on us.

The team simply looks way different. Even in the losses it's not a case of us getting dominated in our own end for 45 minutes, and we aren't starting games in 3rd gear, we're popping the clutch in 1st at redline when the puck drops.

New captain, who plays with his heart on his sleeve and is miles better in terms of on ice emotional leadership than our last 3 guys.

50% of our blueline is new.

Our one-two punch down the middle up front is as good as all but a small few teams in the league.

Our goaltender has not forgotten his game over the summer, and his backup has looked every part a top tier starting goaltender in his 5 games.

This is a much different team with only 3 standout weaknesses. Loui Eriksson, 2nd PP, Stecher.....the latter not a terrible thing all things considered.

Do I expect us to stay clipping along at a .700 pace? No. But I don't get the sense that the wheels are going to come flying off at the slightest adversity.

We lost our best offensive defenseman for a couple games, we did pretty damned good.

If Markstrom falters Demko is showing that he can replace him reliably.

The only way I see this team crashing back to the basement is if we lose multiple key pieces, and that's something that probably 25 of the teams in the league would have in common with us.

We aren't a 2-horse team like Edmonton anymore.

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9792
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by micky107 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Raile wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:51 pm
ESQ wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:35 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:13 am
Jovocop wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:19 am
Cherry Picker wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 am
I have no idea why the Canucks would get rid of depth for picks considering where they are in the standings. Stecher had a mediocre game, but so did many others. He is still and NHL level Dman. One injury to Tanev or Myers and people will be complaining endlessly if he were traded away.
Stecher does not provide much offense and he is defensively ok, not great like Tanev. If the Canucks trade Stecher, it would be a package (+ one of the forwards or picks) to get a better right handed defenseman.
This Id have no problem with. But to just get rid of him because he’s short or you irrationally hate the guy makes no sense. They had depth in Biega but coughed it up. Anyone in the top 4 gets hurt and they’re fucked if they had just given up Stecher for table scraps.
Doyle, you don't think Rafferty is ready for Stecher's 13:44 of ice time?

Its not like anyone's saying Rafferty is ready to step into the top-4, we're talking about replacing the team's worst dman with the lowest TOI. That's exactly the position that should be filled from the farm.
Is Rafferty ready for top 4 time? That's what he'd be doing at some point in the near future. Not long back most here pencilled in both Tanev and Edler for a minimum dozen games of injuries expected, each.

We're playing very well right now, way above expectations, no one is injured, and there's a lot of talk here as if neither of these will change over the next 67 (though at least it's the right thread for crazy). I will be shocked if Rafferty doesn't get his chance naturally through injuries at some point. Then if he looks like a fit, trade Stetcher, but not before.
No, a trade now may not be prudent however maybe at some point soon he could sit once in a while for the team to get a look at someone
else in order to see "if that someone else", could be an addition when possible injuries happen.
I know the other side to that is don't upset the apple cart.
"evolution"

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11114
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Topper » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Ferland for Little
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 960
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Cherry Picker » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:24 pm

To think Stecher, Myers and Tanev will stay healthy all season is wishful. If Benning thinks Rafferty is the best option he will get a chance to show it when one of them is injured. Or maybe not if he thinks Benn is better to slide over to the right side, and one of the other depth Dmen has earned a look ahead of Rafferty. Whatever the case you don’t trade away proven NHLers until the replacement has proven they are ready after dominating the AHL and being a successful injury replacement.
We are all Jim Benning.

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
CC Legend
Posts: 8846
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by The Brown Wizard » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:57 pm

Topper wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:41 pm
Ferland for Little
:lol:

The ceremonial swapping of the mush melons
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Hank
CC Legend
Posts: 3925
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Hank » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Topper wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:24 pm
Didn't Bon Jovi credit the strippers at #5 on their first album? That's Dude territory.

Besides, Baubles strikes me as a guy who likes to wear make up and high heels.
Slippery When Wet was dedicated to the #5. I think Aerosmith also made their big comeback while recording at the Orange.

KISS Army... so Blob fully admits that he likes to wear make up and high heels.
Try to focus on THIS year...

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16226
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Hank wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:40 pm
Topper wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:24 pm
Didn't Bon Jovi credit the strippers at #5 on their first album? That's Dude territory.

Besides, Baubles strikes me as a guy who likes to wear make up and high heels.
Slippery When Wet was dedicated to the #5. I think Aerosmith also made their big comeback while recording at the Orange.

KISS Army... so Blob fully admits that he likes to wear make up and high heels.
Lol!!! Just liked the tunes bro. As fucked as the band looked with all the gimmicks they cut some wicked shit for a kid in the mid to late 70s.

Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter were more my era. Along with Sabbath, AC/DC and Aerosmith.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16226
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:19 pm

My kids don’t know good music now. I’d been to a handful of concerts by 1980 as a 10 yr old kid. :shock:
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2511
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:17 pm

If the Sharks are going to throw in the towel and go with a rebuild, I wouldn't mind making a substantial offer for Brent Burns. He's pretty much the missing link for us, a monster RS D who can skate and do it all. We'll have Burns a Norris calibre D-man and Huggy Bear (future Norris candidate).

B.Burns
for
Eriksson, Baertschi, Juolevi, Podkolzin, M.Dipietro, 1st round pick + (another conditional 1st round pick if we win a Cup while Burns is under contract with us)

Is that enough? With Petey and Huggy Bear still in their entry lvl contracts, we might as well go for it all. Burns is 34 and his contract does worry me a bit with 6 more years, but willing to roll the dice with him. Get her done. Get the sasquatch on Team Orca and into the Great North! :D

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1587
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by 5thhorseman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:21 pm

Is that enough he asks! I'd balk at trading Pod; he's a key future piece on a cheap ELC just at the time we need it. Go with the long term plan; don't shoot your load just yet.

User avatar
Hank
CC Legend
Posts: 3925
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Hank » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:19 pm

Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:18 pm
Hank wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:40 pm
Topper wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:24 pm
Didn't Bon Jovi credit the strippers at #5 on their first album? That's Dude territory.

Besides, Baubles strikes me as a guy who likes to wear make up and high heels.
Slippery When Wet was dedicated to the #5. I think Aerosmith also made their big comeback while recording at the Orange.

KISS Army... so Blob fully admits that he likes to wear make up and high heels.
Lol!!! Just liked the tunes bro. As fucked as the band looked with all the gimmicks they cut some wicked shit for a kid in the mid to late 70s.

Gene, Paul, Ace and Peter were more my era. Along with Sabbath, AC/DC and Aerosmith.
KISS was never my thing. Loved ACDC though.

I'll have to admit, in the 80s I went to a Duran Duran concert. Hey, when you're a horny teenager, you go where the girls are.
Try to focus on THIS year...

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 11114
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by Topper » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 am

Never followed those stadium metal nonsense, those years I was listening to Bowie, Stones, Stooges, Lou Reed.... Hell, my son and I were listening Black and Blue on our weekend road trip. Still one of my favorite Stones records. I remember at parties the chicks dug Suzy Quattro.

Gene just bought into a local music feel in my neck of the woods, Branson for the geriatric mobility scooters of top 40 metal.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
micky107
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9792
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Trade rumours & armchair pipe dreams 19-20 Sponsored by SKYO

Post by micky107 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:09 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:17 pm
B.Burns
for
Eriksson, Baertschi, Juolevi, Podkolzin, M.Dipietro, 1st round pick + (another conditional 1st round pick if we win a Cup while Burns is under contract with us)
Wow Image
"evolution"

Post Reply