Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:22 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:10 pm
1st overall - Eichel - 2015
1st overall - Dahlin - 2018
2nd overall - Reinhart - 2014
7th overall - Cozens - 2019
8th overall - Ristolainen - 2013
8th overall - Mittlestadt - 2017
8th overall - Nylander - 2016
8th overall - TBA - 2020
12th overall - Grigorenko - 2012
12th overall - Myers - 2008
13th overall - Kassian - 2009
14th overall - Girginzens - 2012
16th overall - Armia - 2011

:lol: oh yeah. Building through the draft?? Guarantees Sweet Fuck All!!!
Picking in the Top 10 eight years running? No thanks.
Isn’t that horrendous, Curmudgeon? And to think, our friend Doyle Boozemouth wanted Benning to do the same thing - Tank!
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:31 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:22 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:10 pm
1st overall - Eichel - 2015
1st overall - Dahlin - 2018
2nd overall - Reinhart - 2014
7th overall - Cozens - 2019
8th overall - Ristolainen - 2013
8th overall - Mittlestadt - 2017
8th overall - Nylander - 2016
8th overall - TBA - 2020
12th overall - Grigorenko - 2012
12th overall - Myers - 2008
13th overall - Kassian - 2009
14th overall - Girginzens - 2012
16th overall - Armia - 2011

:lol: oh yeah. Building through the draft?? Guarantees Sweet Fuck All!!!
Picking in the Top 10 eight years running? No thanks.
Isn’t that horrendous, Curmudgeon? And to think, our friend Doyle Hargraves had his Johnson in my mouth and all I could say was thanks.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Isn’t that horrendous, Curmudgeon? And to think, our friend Doyle Boozemouth wanted Benning to do the same thing - Tank!
I can't speak to that, I haven't been here very long, but he's a very experienced hockey guy and gets it as far as I've seen. I think you're pulling my leg. lol

I was hoping for a complete purge and teardown after 2011/12 when it was clear to me the window was slamming shut thinking they could get a glut of prospects and picks while their assets still had high value. In the end they got far less than they should have or nothing at all for some of those guys. The way they've gotten to this point was clumsy and tougher on the fans than it needed to be. But here we are and the Canucks have Hughes and Pettersson and we haven't seen anything like this from two young players immediately at the start of their careers, and especially with Hughes playing defense, in the history of the franchise. I'm all good now and who gives a shit about what I thought in 2012. lol
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:15 pm
I can't speak to that, I haven't been here very long, but he's a very experienced hockey guy and gets it as far as I've seen. I think you're pulling my leg. lol

I was hoping for a complete purge and teardown after 2011/12 when it was clear to me the window was slamming shut thinking they could get a glut of prospects and picks while their assets still had high value. In the end they got far less than they should have or nothing at all for some of those guys. The way they've gotten to this point was clumsy and tougher on the fans than it needed to be. But here we are and the Canucks have Hughes and Pettersson and we haven't seen anything like this from two young players immediately at the start of their careers, and especially with Hughes playing defense, in the history of the franchise. I'm all good now and who gives a shit about what I thought in 2012. lol
In the beginning the so-called Re-tool on the fly had more to do with ownership than management. I remember Linden being pressed hard by the media on why they are not doing a full rip it down rebuild and Linden kept repeating “we can’t, we can’t, we can’t”. Which help hit home the fact that the Aquas in the beginning wanted no part of it. They the owners slowly came around to it, but with the big contracts and the Twins here at the beginning of Bennings tenure it was never going to be a full tear down. And for that a lot of decisions were made with the here and now in mind, trying to win. You cannot disregard the fact that when the Canucks lose the fans don’t show up in Vancouver, which is not the case in places like Edmonton and Toronto where they show up win or lose. That all being said I actually have more respect with what and how Benning has managed under these tough circumstances. He’s managed to pull off a very respectable rebuild when the full tear down rebuild was never accepted by ownership for the first few years of his tenure.
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
Curmudgeon
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Curmudgeon »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:26 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:15 pm

In the beginning the so-called Re-tool on the fly had more to do with ownership than management. I remember Linden being pressed hard by the media on why they are not doing a full rip it down rebuild and Linden kept repeating “we can’t, we can’t, we can’t”. Which help hit home the fact that the Aquas in the beginning wanted no part of it. They the owners slowly came around to it, but with the big contracts and the Twins here at the beginning of Bennings tenure it was never going to be a full tear down. And for that a lot of decisions were made with the here and now in mind, trying to win. You cannot disregard the fact that when the Canucks lose the fans don’t show up in Vancouver, which is not the case in places like Edmonton and Toronto where they show up win or lose. That all being said I actually have more respect with what and how Benning has managed under these tough circumstances. He’s managed to pull off a very respectable rebuild when the full tear down rebuild was never accepted by ownership for the first few years of his tenure.
Despite all that, here we are and the Canucks have Hughes and Pettersson and they're on the verge of being a very good team. This is an awesome time to be a Canucks fan. lol
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:45 pm Despite all that, here we are and the Canucks have Hughes and Pettersson and they're on the verge of being a very good team. This is an awesome time to be a Canucks fan. lol
Exactly. Jim doesn’t need the Tank to successfully rebuild the shit show Gillis left him. He followed the boss orders and still managed a great rebuild. Unbelievable accomplishment
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:09 pm
Curmudgeon wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:45 pm Despite all that, here we are and the Canucks have Hughes and Pettersson and they're on the verge of being a very good team. This is an awesome time to be a Canucks fan. lol
Exactly. Jim doesn’t need the Tank to successfully rebuild the shit show Gillis left him. He followed the boss orders and still managed a great rebuild. Unbelievable accomplishment
Great point Chef. Managing Mr Aquilini is a rare skill. I'm not sure there is another executive in all of hockey who could have accomplished it with such finesse.
el rey del mambo
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:21 pm
Great point Chef. Managing Mr Aquilini is a rare skill. I'm not sure there is another executive in all of hockey who could have accomplished it with such finesse.
Bennings brilliance is not letting people know he is brilliant. He’s a shark in a pool hall, the quiet assassin. He’s fooled a few people like Doyle and the local media but not you Meg, Me, Doc and Topper. We knew what we were dealing with in Jim Benning.
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:26 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:21 pm
Bennings brilliance is not letting people know he is brilliant. He’s a shark in a pool hall, the quiet assassin. He’s fooled a few people like Doyle and the local media but not you Meg, Me, Doc and Topper. We knew what we were dealing with in Jim Benning.
The 'very cerebral' Mike Gillis decides he'll go to the media and try to use media pressure to force Mr Aquilini into a rebuild he didn't want. Bam, Gillis is fired days later. And just look at Benning, survives five years of struggle and delivers in the sixth with a blindingly bright future centered around twin superstars on entry level contracts.
el rey del mambo
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Technically, Jimbro delivered in his first year with the Aqua/Torts failed experiment.

Too bad the owner saw the results but still couldn't handle the truth.
Try to focus on THIS year... again
Megaterio Llamas
CC Legend

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:41 pm Technically, Jimbro delivered in his first year with the Aqua/Torts failed experiment.

Yeah, you're right. I considered that later, but we all knew that wasn't going to last.

I still think Willie D deserves kudos for that.
el rey del mambo
Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:41 pm Technically, Jimbro delivered in his first year with the Aqua/Torts failed experiment.

Huh? Jim didn't hire Torts. That was Gillis and Aquaman.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I meant with the failed Torts experiment that was left for him.

Probably less confusing to say "JB delivered in his first year AFTER the failed Aqua/Torts experiment"
Try to focus on THIS year... again
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Exactly. i don’t need a plastic surgeon to successfully rebuild my chicken thighs that Gillis and Holland laughed at. I follow Rosie’s orders and still manage to walk a few feet. Unbelievable accomplishment
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Carl Yagro wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:05 pm I meant with the failed Torts experiment that was left for him.

Probably less confusing to say "JB delivered in his first year AFTER the failed Aqua/Torts experiment"
At the time, I thought Torts had some idea of what was needed; other that the twins blocking shots...he knew a rebuild was drastically necessary
and maybe had some plans of his own. Couldn't work with Mike though.
Whatever; Later found out Torts never really bothered to talk to the minor league affiliate at all / about anything! yikes. Boot.

FWIW, I think Vancouver now has more credibility with the league, (a little more), Doesn't hurt.
"evolution"