Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:38 pm .
It's New, and Nifty and I don't understand much of it.. :)

It's about him trying out different skate blade profiles.

You can also read about it here:
https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-b ... 1.23911267

Apparently the profile he's been using up to now is very popular among goalies and defensive d-men... :o
If he can get better grip in tight turns without losing any straight-ahead speed, Pettersson could become even more of a nightmare for defencemen to deal with one-on-one.

Considering he’s switching from a profile designed for defence and goaltending, it could make more of a difference than you might expect.
So.... seems Petey will be focusing less on playing defence and instead join the offence on the attack more.... :look:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Daniel Wagner / Vancouver Courier
Is this going to completely change the way Pettersson skates? Of course not, but it could provide small improvements in key areas, and those small improvements can make a big difference for a player like Pettersson that can take advantage of even the smallest gaps on the ice. If he can get better grip in tight turns without losing any straight-ahead speed, Pettersson could become even more of a nightmare for defencemen to deal with one-on-one.
Less time spinning on the knees would be good. Looks nifty but, na.
"evolution"
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mick brother, do you ever sleep?

In Japan so time difference but you always seem to be up and posting.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Found an interview with Oscar Fantenberg that I have translated for you:

"That’s where I wanted to go as soon as I heard they had been in touch”
The third NHL season – the third team. Having played in Los Angeles and Calgary, Oscar Fantenberg now wants to earn a regular spot on the Vancouver Canucks. “They have something good brewing,” he says of his new team.
by Måns Karlsson

In the midst of last season Oscar Fantenberg was traded from Los Angeles to Calgary. After the end of the season he became a so called free agent and could freely look for a contract anywhere in the NHL. His choice fell on Vancouver where he will become a team mate of among others Alexander Edler, Loui Eriksson, Jacob Markström and not least Elias Pettersson.
“I have always thought Vancouver is a very nice city. And as a team, I think they have something good brewing,” the 27 year old from Ljungby tells us as hockeysverige.se meets him at a café in Jönköping, where he is currently training.
“It was great to hear that they were as interested as they turned out to be and that’s where I wanted to go as soon as I heard they had been in touch.”

He received the message that it was to be Vancouver at the end of June.
“There were a couple of teams expressing interest. I weighed the pros and cons a bit. Then it was also about what I wanted in the contract. The last 24 hours there was a lot of talk with the agent, a little back and forth and negotiations.”

What was it that attracted you to Vancouver?
“As I said, I think they have a good thing brewing. Vancouver has a young team and a lot of pieces that could turn out really well.”
“For my own part, it felt like they really wanted me there, that they have a good picture of what I bring as a player and a person. That was also something that I took into consideration, that they didn’t just throw me a contract to fill out the roster. They feel I can contribute, which was also something that appealed to me.”

What do you see your role on the team is?
“We haven’t really talked about that yet. I talked to the coach a few days later. Then he asked me what kind of player I think I am but also talked about what they think and what expectations they have on me for camp, what will happen there, in order to help me prepare.”
“From what I’ve heard it’s a pretty tough camp, so they probably just want me to prepare as well as I can so that I’m ready when I get there.”
“Then it’s all about battling for a roster spot. We have a pretty big D corps, so I will have to fight to make the team. Have to be on my feet from the get go.”

Especially the defence looks very strong in Vancouver. The team has blue liners like Jordie Benn, Tyler Myers, Troy Stecher, Alexander Edler and the talented American Quinn Hughes.

“They are really good D-men, but I think competition is good so you don’t feel like you have earned a spot before you even get there. It also serves as lighter fluid during the summer to help push me to train harder and be well prepared when I get there.”
“I’ve had it like that for the past two years. My first season in LA I also had to fight for a spot. Nobody thought I would make the roster right away. And it was the same last season as we still had the same crew on defence. It’s about surviving and defending your place on the team.”
“In a way I feel this gives me an added driving force to want to practice, get better and push myself over the limit, which has to be done every now and then with practice and all that.”

“I think it would be a disadvantage to come to a team that says you are guaranteed a spot on their roster. It could make you complacent as it’s human nature to like to be comfortable. And it helps get a fire going in me that I can prove that I deserve a spot and make all the doubters eat crow.”

This will be the third NHL team in as many seasons for Oscar Fantenberg. He started with one and a half seasons in Los Angeles. After that he spent half a season in Calgary and now he will play for Vancouver.
“I guess it’s fun to explore the world (laughs). It was a bit special to be traded mid season last year and it’s a shock when it happens.”

You also had to switch from sun glasses to snow shoes.
“Yeah, that too. I wanted to stay in LA. That’s how it felt. They had given me the chance to play in this league and I wanted a chance to give back to them.”
“But then I get this whole thing with me becoming a free agent and where we were in the standings and all. We needed to offload some players and rebuild. That’s also what they told me, that LA wouldn’t want to let go of me without getting something in return.”
“It was, as I said, a shock, but at the same time, if I think about it, it wasn’t all that shocking considering that I played some really good hockey before the deadline. I mean, it was fun that Calgary wanted me on their team and that they gave me ice time.”

Were things going well in Calgary?
“Yes, I think so. I felt like part of the team right away and I enjoyed playing with Rasmus [Andersson], which I did most of the time.”
“But then we were ten NHL d-men in Calgary and I knew before I got there that it would be tough. It was also mentally tough to go from playing 20 minutes with Alec [Martinez] on the second pairing, which I did for the last ten games, facing the best opponents and feel the trust you’re given, to playing twelve minutes and know that when the opponents top line take the ice you need to get off it.”
“Then again, that was the role I was given. Overall, I feel it’s not that easy switching teams mid season. The others have played together since camp and have gelled as a group. Then I get thrown into the mix, disrupting positions and pairings. But it was still a great group of people and easy to become part of.”

In Calgary there were four other Swedes: Mikael Backlund, Oliver Kylington, Elias Lindholm and the aforementioned Rasmus Andersson.

“I knew Mickis from the world championship and Elias from playing back home in Sweden. Oliver and Rasmus I had played against in the AHL. Oliver and Adrian Kempe are close friends, so I had also met Oliver when he was visiting in LA.”
“You have to make an effort yourself as well. You can’t show up there and whenever someone asks if you want to go along for lunch you turn them down. Eventually they stop asking. You have to open up and let them get to know you.”
“That’s something I’ve learnt even more over there, that you can’t lock yourself in. That won’t work. That way you’ll never function as a group.”

You were in Sochi before Los Angeles, how was the social part there?
“There we were four imports who always hung out and had dinner together. In that way it was completely different.”

It must have been boring?
“A bit, but the Russians are very special and prefer to just speak Russian. But there was one, Ruslan Pedan, who had come home after playing college hockey and was fluent in English. He was almost more American than Russian. We still keep in touch.”

Next season it’s Vancouver for Oscar Fantenberg, something he is very much looking forward to.
“It will be fun. I know Markström from the world championship and Loui used to join us for summer practice when I played in Frölunda. Elias and Edler… Garpen (ie Swedish national team assistant coach Johan Garpenlöv) was over last winter when we played against Vancouver. Then I met them briefly and talked a bit. Seemed like good guys.”
“Edler sent me a text message right away when it was done to welcome me and wrote that I could contact him if I needed anything.”

The past season Oscar Fantenberg has played against Vancouver’s very successful player Elias Pettersson and he is impressed by what he has seen.
“It was fun playing against him, and he is really good…”

What’s the difficulty in playing defence against him?
“For being so small and not really having the body of most NHL players, it is fascinating to see how he manages to play there. There are little things that make him able to create extra time and space all the time.”

“It looks like he has half a second or a second more time than anyone else on the ice. When he receives a puck it’s like it’s immediately where he wants it instead of him having to stop it or adjust it. When you lose that half second the NHL d-men will be all over you at once.”
“When he gets the puck he already knows exactly what to do with it. He creates that half second that allows him to score those goals and make those passes. It’s something innate that just is there. And he is also very odd in the way he uses his body and the stick.”
“It can look so simple, but it’s the small details. As a d-man you tend to know what your opponent will do in a certain situation. But he does something else completely. That way he is very hard to read.”

Has he tunnelled you?
“No, but last season when I faced him, in overtime, he tried to make a move with his stick between his legs, but he didn’t get past me. Which felt good,” Oscar Fantenberg says with a smile and adds:
“I didn’t face him a lot, neither in LA nor Calgary, as it was usually our top pairing that took him on.”

What are your expectations regarding moving to Vancouver?
“To get to play the full season, to establish myself firmer in the league and to help the team. The team looks very strong and I want us to play in the playoffs. On a personal level I want to have an even better season than the one I had last year.”
“First and foremost though my goal is to earn a spot on the team and to play on a regular basis. Then I can build on that. I want to remain in the NHL and that means I have to continue to improve every season and prove that I have what it takes to be an NHL player,” Oscar Fantenberg concludes before hockeysverige.se has him try on his new jersey for the first time.

https://www.hockeysverige.se/2019/07/12 ... ort-av-sig
Last edited by Per on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:51 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:06 pm Benning showed up Blob again by picking Madden when Blob wanted that bum Wise. Just like the previous draft when Blob wanted Vilardi and Benning picked Pettersson. All hail Benning!
Just for shits and giggles: How many times did I say I wanted Jake Wise?

Also you had Vilardi and Glass ahead of Petterson. Do I need to bump those posts again?
It’s never about quantity, it was how disgruntled you were with Benning after the draft for drafting Madden instead of Wise
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:00 am Mick brother, do you ever sleep?

What's sleep? I take power naps about 2 hrs long three times a day or so.
Last edited by Mickey107 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Post by Per » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:39 am

Ya , Per, I put an article up on him too. He works real hard but the truth is; it'll most likely take an injury for him to crack the A squad.
He will be playing for the most part in Utica. IMO.
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:57 am
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:00 am Mick brother, do you ever sleep?

What's sleep?
to sleep—
No more—and by a sleep to say we end
the heartache and the thousand natural shocks
that flesh is heir to—’tis a consummation
devoutly to be wished! To die, to sleep.
To sleep, perchance to dream—ay, there’s the rub,
for in that sleep of death what dreams may come
when we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
must give us pause. There’s the respect
that makes calamity of so long life.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

micky107 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 am
Post by Per » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:39 am

Ya , Per, I put an article up on him too. He works real hard but the truth is; it'll most likely take an injury for him to crack the A squad.
He will be playing for the most part in Utica. IMO.
Agreed, he is not a top candidate to make the roster, but he sounds pumped and willing to do whatever he can to make the team.

I also quite enjoyed his comments about Petey:
"...not really having the body of most NHL players..." :lol:
"As a d-man you tend to know what your opponent will do in a certain situation. But he does something else completely." :thumbs:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 pm Ive been off the weed for four days and off the booze for three. Plan is to go cold turkey on everything until Thanksgiving. Then I will tip a few that weekend and abstain until Dec.
You went a little too John Belushi this summer, I see Blob.

Me I’m just cutting back, it’s all about control. I’ll be as fit as Jack Lalane in his prime before ya know it and still enjoying a weekend bevy
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:51 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:51 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:06 pm Benning showed up Blob again by picking Madden when Blob wanted that bum Wise. Just like the previous draft when Blob wanted Vilardi and Benning picked Pettersson. All hail Benning!
Just for shits and giggles: How many times did I say I wanted Jake Wise?

Also you had Vilardi and Glass ahead of Petterson. Do I need to bump those posts again?
It’s never about quantity, it was how disgruntled you were with Benning after the draft for drafting Madden instead of Wise
My lone comment on the matter: “ Bode Wilde and Jake Wise >>> Jett Woo and Tyler Madden”. Yeah I was really disgruntled, bordering on enraged. :roll: :roll:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Who will be more disappointing

Blob on the wagon or Rummy all married up?
If you need air...call it in
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Per wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:05 am to sleep—
My understanding is that was the first recorded use of the phrase "there's the rub."

But Per, are you expecting four deaths in the final scene?
Hono_rary Canadian
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It’s a HAT TRICK for number 6, Brock Boeser!!

https://twitter.com/DaBeautyLeague/stat ... de%3Dfalse

it only shows one :(
"evolution"
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

UWSaint wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:12 am
Per wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:05 am to sleep—
My understanding is that was the first recorded use of the phrase "there's the rub."

But Per, are you expecting four deaths in the final scene?
Nah, more like the Disney version, where only Scar gets killed in the end... :look: