Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Strangelove »

5thhorseman wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:16 pm
Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 pm
I'd have to think they would come up with a penalty longer than two or five minutes for testing positive for covid.
Yeah but you know the refs will put the swabs in their pockets once they're in the Finals. It'll be play to the death.
:D
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Will all players have to use old time goalie masks during games, and maintain a six foot distance to all other players at all times? :?

Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Per wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:42 am
Will all players have to use old time goalie masks during games, and maintain a six foot distance to all other players at all times? :?
Loui won't have to change his game at all. :D
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tciso »

Cornuck wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:05 am
Per wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:42 am
Loui won't have to change his game at all. :D
Maybe just a little. He'll have to self-isolate in the press box as one of the 13th forwards. But, hopefully, he does the "little things" right, like topping up the pretzel bowls.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Question...

How long does it typically take for a physical player like Ferland who has suffered a series of bad concussions to completely return to their pre-concussion normal? Is there some sort of comparable to MF? Will we ever see him play again like he used to?

The reason i ask is the Canucks seriously lack exactly what he should bring to a playoff run and the guy could be a huge factor for the team...especially if Macewen continues to develop...thats the makings of a legit tough 4th line
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:25 am
Question...

How long does it typically take for a physical player like Ferland who has suffered a series of bad concussions to completely return to their pre-concussion normal? Is there some sort of comparable to MF? Will we ever see him play again like he used to?

The reason i ask is the Canucks seriously lack exactly what he should bring to a playoff run and the guy could be a huge factor for the team...especially if Macewen continues to develop...thats the makings of a legit tough 4th line
I think he should be able to lay the body, by now, I don’t think he’ll be fighting anymore.

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Question...

My father, who played chess on a fairly high level suffered a concussion when we were visiting some people who had a door gym bar. He made some pull ups, and then the thing came loose and he fell to the ground and hit the back of his head.

Took him ten years to get back to the same rating he had before the concussion.

So.... no, I don't really think people come back to the same level after a concussion.
They may come close enough that it is hard to tell the difference, but concussions cause some major damage to your brain.

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

He doesnt need to fight but absolutely must hit to be the same level of player. He is the biggest x factor for the canucks to have any sort of playoff success imo.

Per that sucks about your dad.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:31 pm
He doesnt need to fight but absolutely must hit to be the same level of player. He is the biggest x factor for the canucks to have any sort of playoff success imo.

Per that sucks about your dad.
Thanks, but you know, it wasn't his occupation, just a hobby, but still. I thought the fact that it took so long for his rating to get back where it was shows what it does to your brain. A chess player needs to focus and concentrate, and those abilities get messed up after a concussion. It didn't affect his day job as a maths and physics teacher much, and he would still beat me every time we played. And mind you, I wasn't that bad a chess player. Won some junior district championships back in the day. But I sort of quit after high school. If you want to be good at it, it just takes too much time.

I did get a week off from the military though to play in the Swedish Championship. :thumbs:
I just happened to read somewhere that you could get time off from the military to compete in national championships, and I figured why the hell not.
It's open for anyone who wants to participate, and I played in the lowest tier and lost my first three games, but than had two wins and a draw, so half decent considering I hadn't played for a year or two.

Megaterio Llamas
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Question...

In Ferland's case he pulled himself from his first game back in Utica in the second period with symptoms despite not experiencing any real physical contact. Just hard, game tempo skating.

I look at Ferland as LTIR in-season cap space.
non enim veni Gauncem, enim manci Biegum

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:54 pm
Just hard, game tempo skating.
Hard to believe that can't be simulated. Also hard to believe that if it were that severe "and" quick to come over him that the experts haven't said,
"Look, buddy, your done; retire, or you may die."
I shouldn't speak out of place but I will cause I often do anyways, (like many). Some of his symptoms, not all, but some may be psychological.
Sidney Crosby had to find that part of it out, he also eventually after many months found out he was suffering from both a concussion and whiplash.
It's all about barriers and getting over each one both physical and mental. He's been no-where near that point. Who's care he's under is probably
a real big factor.
It was stupid as shit to fight in his first came back but it says -- I don't want to quit, and that's encouraging. Not bright, but encouraging.

I do have to denote it all by saying it's my belief he will not settle for becoming a different style of player. Just an opinion..
"evolution"

Megaterio Llamas
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Megaterio Llamas »

Micky wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:23 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote:
Hard to believe that can't be simulated. Also hard to believe that if it were that severe "and" quick to come over him that the experts haven't said,
I shouldn't speak out of place but I will cause I often do anyways, (like many). Some of his symptoms, not all, but some may be psychological.
Sidney Crosby had to find that part of it out, he also eventually after many months found out he was suffering from both a concussion and whiplash.
It's all about barriers and getting over each one both physical and mental. He's been no-where near that point. Who's care he's under is probably
a real big factor.
It was stupid as shit to fight in his first came back but it says -- I don't want to quit, and that's encouraging. Not bright, but encouraging.

I do have to denote it all by saying it's my belief he will not settle for becoming a different style of player. Just an opinion..
Well, Ferland himself did say prior to coming back this last time that he would continue to fight until doctors told him he shouldn't. But yeah, I was pretty surprised to see him leave that game, it was late in the second period I think. No collisions or any real contact at all.
non enim veni Gauncem, enim manci Biegum

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Micky wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:23 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote:
a real big factor.

Ok Doctor Gomer
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky »

Iain MacIntyre@imacSportsnet
Early stages, but Canucks considering moving training camp to US to avoid 14-day quarantine for players returning to Canada.
11:02 AM · May 27, 2020
Bit of a blow to local media and the interviews they would be getting for the fans around here
but the rules are the rules / at this point in time.
"evolution"

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:22 pm
Iain MacIntyre@imacSportsnet
Early stages, but Canucks considering moving training camp to US to avoid 14-day quarantine for players returning to Canada.
11:02 AM · May 27, 2020
Bit of a blow to local media and the interviews they would be getting for the fans around here
but the rules are the rules / at this point in time.
No in-person interviews will be allowed, so what difference does it make as far as that goes?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!