Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:50 pm
Secondly, if the cap WERE to drop, what makes you so "sure a majority of owners would be in favor of CBOs"?

CBOs help the very rich teams and those in a massive cap crunch... that's not "the majority of teams".

But as I said, there is no need to let the cap drop, so this is mute as far as I'm concerned.
They do help the rich teams in a cap crunch, however, some of the teams who don't have the ready cash on hand also benefit from the CBO's because strapped teams buying out players they can't trade to clear cap often buyout players who would be considered as guys who could turn it around with a change of scenery (Loui Eriksson is NOT, imho, among those players btw).

So teams with a little bit of cash and cap space can usually acquire this player for nothing more than the cost of a short-term contract and not end up in a bidding war with the big dogs who need their space for their in-house talent that needs a raise. They also have a chance to get these players cheaper than normal because technically they are still being paid by their former team and are now essentially double-dipping. P

I do agree that the rich teams benefit the most, but it's not as one-sided as you're suggesting.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Whatever, as I said the point is mute because there won't be CBOs... because they won't let the cap drop.

(and the players will say fuck CBOs)

I know fans love the idea of CBOs (myself included!) but it Just. Ain't. Happening.

Next...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed left wing prospect Nils Hoglander to a three-year entry level contract.

A foregone conclusion - but some actual news...

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancou ... G-L-gH87SE
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

YAY :drink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Finally some positive news! Be great to see him at camp in???? A year in Utica is in his future.
The only HW the Canucks need

givemeda411
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by givemeda411 »

Cornuck wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:39 am
Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed left wing prospect Nils Hoglander to a three-year entry level contract.

I think Hoglander makes the team next season, perfect for the top 6. This makes Pearson and his $3.75M expandable, I would look to move him re-coup what we can and make an effort to resign Toffoli. Your top 6 is set for the next few years.

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

givemeda411 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:17 am
Cornuck wrote:

I think Hoglander makes the team next season, perfect for the top 6. This makes Pearson and his $3.75M expandable, I would look to move him re-coup what we can and make an effort to resign Toffoli. Your top 6 is set for the next few years.
Me thinks if Toffoli signs here it will in part be because his buddy Pearson is here. Hoglander had a bad second half of the season last year. I’d be shocked if he’s ready. Lots of ways to dump salary that don’t involve ditching Pearson.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:41 am
givemeda411 wrote:
Cornuck wrote:

Me thinks if Toffoli signs here it will in part be because his buddy Pearson is here. Hoglander had a bad second half of the season last year. I’d be shocked if he’s ready. Lots of ways to dump salary that don’t involve ditching Pearson.
Yeah, he's Utica-bound next season, and I would be surprised if he doesn't know it already.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:00 pm

Yeah, he's Utica-bound next season, and I would be surprised if he doesn't know it already.
Hoglander's probably already looking forward to headhunting other teams' top prospects in the A :devil:

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

I think he may have an out to go back to Sweden if he fails to make the Canucks.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:11 pm
I think he may have an out to go back to Sweden if he fails to make the Canucks.
I think he’s be committed to a year in the ahl to get used to the ice size, unless he figures he’s 2 years away yet and would do another year in shl followed by the following season playing time in the ahl.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya he was quoted somewhere saying that he thinks he is ready to come over and play here and he will do everything he can to show he belongs in the NHL, but he said he also knew he could benefit from playing in the AHL. So I don't see him as a problem child. Canucks want him to play the North American game and so does he.

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:41 am
givemeda411 wrote:
Cornuck wrote:

Agreed.

The number of games are a big adjustment for these kids sometimes and seeing that he didnt adjust so well to the jump from allsvenskan to the shl last year I'd say hes almost certainly a year or two out
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hoglander being a year or 2 out is a good thing. Keeps the injection of high end talent coming into the team each year..

We have a couple of rookies potentially competing for a spot next year, and Hoglander competing the year after that.

This is a good thing.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Although Benning did say he thinks Nils is ready for a top 9 role in the NHL. Letting FA vets know that he has a plan B?