Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19936
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Bailey up to watch. Mac in for the injured player
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13605
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Micky »

Travis Green will say something to the press at about 10:45 PST; They did say emergency call-up;

Image
"evolution"
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13605
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Micky »

NHL Public Relations@PR_NHL
Quinn Hughes (@Canucks) has been named the NHL’s “Rookie of the Month” for February. Hughes became the second defenseman in NHL history to be the first rookie to reach 50 points in a season, joining Nicklas Lidstrom (1991-92).

Image

#NHLStats: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13890 ... um=twitter
10:04 AM · Mar 1, 2020.
Canucks named NHL Rookie of the Month since 2000
Quinn Hughes: Feb 2020
Elias Pettersson: Oct & Dec 2018
Brock Boeser: Nov & Dec 2017
Cody Hodgson: Jan 2012
Jason King: Nov 2003
"evolution"
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11901
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by SKYO »

Travis Green time to motivate this squad vs Columbus or maybe it's time for Gerard Gallant.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4111
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Madcombinepilot »

We lose to the leaves so we fire the coach??

That what your saying?!??
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 11901
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:25 pm We lose to the leaves so we fire the coach??

That what your saying?!??
yes that's exactly what I'm saying Image
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 27161
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Strangelove »

Micky wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:46 am
rats19 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:22 pm
Meds wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:14 pm Markstrom's agent must be absolutely loving this right now.

Demko needs to get it together or I suggest we plan for a future where Markstrom mentors DiPietro.
How good was Markstrom at 24?
Counting backward from the bottom up, dazzlingly good. On the farm. 1.88. Certainly has run the gamut of ups and downs.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... pid=112727
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Ratski, when we traded for Markstrom he was almost exactly the age Demko is right now (24 years + change).

At that point, in the NHL, El Marko was 11-25-5 in 43 appearances with an .898 save %.

Right now, in the NHL, Demko is 16-11 in 33 appearances with an .905 save %.

So yes, your rhetorical question was a good point indeed.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 10878
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 am
Location: over here.....

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by rats19 »

Strangelove wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:42 pm
Micky wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:46 am
rats19 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:22 pm
Meds wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:14 pm Markstrom's agent must be absolutely loving this right now.

Demko needs to get it together or I suggest we plan for a future where Markstrom mentors DiPietro.
How good was Markstrom at 24?
Counting backward from the bottom up, dazzlingly good. On the farm. 1.88. Certainly has run the gamut of ups and downs.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdi ... pid=112727
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Ratski, when we traded for Markstrom he was almost exactly the age Demko is right now (24 years + change).

At that point, in the NHL, El Marko was 11-25-5 in 43 appearances with an .898 save %.

Right now, in the NHL, Demko is 16-11 in 33 appearances with an .905 save %.

So yes, your rhetorical question was a good point indeed.
Thank you good doctor.... our problem is the injury and current need for post season . Demko will be a no 1 and probably sooner than later it just is a coin flip for right NOW which Demko will show up
Getting old is not for the young...
User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4111
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Madcombinepilot »

They are similar as they both struggle to stop the first couple shots of the period at that age.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19936
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

SKYO wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:33 am Travis Green time to motivate this squad vs Columbus or maybe it's time for Gerard Gallant.
I was lukewarm on Gallant a few years ago but clearly the man can coach. Short of winning a round or two I think Green is gone at seasons end. This latest meltdown isn’t entirely on him but he makes some baffling decisions as a coach. These kids need and deserve better.

If they completely puke the playoffs away, somebody, maybe a couple of somebody’s will pay for it. Ignitowski might be looking for a new gig himself.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 am If they completely puke the playoffs away, somebody, maybe a couple of somebody’s will pay for it. Ignitowski might be looking for a new gig himself.
Can't see them gassing Benning. Most had the playoffs as a possibility, not a sure thing this year. The team is definitely trending in the right direction, despite the struggles lately. I would also say that roster-wise, he's given the team the talent in needs to compete at a high level.

As for Green, I think you need to survey what's available and take it from there. He's only got one year left on his deal, so they shouldn't be overly concerned about starting a search. If there's a better coach available, why not?

Gallant has a reputation as a players coach. One thing's for sure: there's no way he'd let Petey take the abuse he does without blowing his gasket on the refs...
User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 9505
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Cornuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:09 am
Can't see them gassing Benning. Most had the playoffs as a possibility, not a sure thing this year. The team is definitely trending in the right direction, despite the struggles lately. I would also say that roster-wise, he's given the team the talent in needs to compete at a high level.
That's what I'm thinking- IF they falter down the stretch, Green will be gone, and we'll see what a new coach can do with this crew before even considering what happens to Benning
2019-20 - Playoff Bound
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19936
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:09 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 am If they completely puke the playoffs away, somebody, maybe a couple of somebody’s will pay for it. Ignitowski might be looking for a new gig himself.
Can't see them gassing Benning. Most had the playoffs as a possibility, not a sure thing this year. The team is definitely trending in the right direction, despite the struggles lately. I would also say that roster-wise, he's given the team the talent in needs to compete at a high level.

As for Green, I think you need to survey what's available and take it from there. He's only got one year left on his deal, so they shouldn't be overly concerned about starting a search. If there's a better coach available, why not?

Gallant has a reputation as a players coach. One thing's for sure: there's no way he'd let Petey take the abuse he does without blowing his gasket on the refs...
I’m not advocating gassing Elmer. But the fact is he put this roster together and if they do miss, that is five years in a row. Not many GMs have survived that. And the cap crunch that is coming up was caused by him and him alone.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8362
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:09 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 am If they completely puke the playoffs away, somebody, maybe a couple of somebody’s will pay for it. Ignitowski might be looking for a new gig himself.
Can't see them gassing Benning. Most had the playoffs as a possibility, not a sure thing this year. The team is definitely trending in the right direction, despite the struggles lately. I would also say that roster-wise, he's given the team the talent in needs to compete at a high level.

As for Green, I think you need to survey what's available and take it from there. He's only got one year left on his deal, so they shouldn't be overly concerned about starting a search. If there's a better coach available, why not?

Gallant has a reputation as a players coach. One thing's for sure: there's no way he'd let Petey take the abuse he does without blowing his gasket on the refs...
I’m not advocating gassing Elmer. But the fact is he put this roster together and if they do miss, that is five years in a row. Not many GMs have survived that. And the cap crunch that is coming up was caused by him and him alone.
Fair enough. I think at this point the message for Benning is "no steps backwards". Part of ensuring the the team keeps moving in the right direction is how he manages the cap. We won't be able to afford the $12-$15M in dead weight when our best players are no longer on ELCs.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7877
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Meds »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 am
Island Nucklehead wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:09 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 am If they completely puke the playoffs away, somebody, maybe a couple of somebody’s will pay for it. Ignitowski might be looking for a new gig himself.
Can't see them gassing Benning. Most had the playoffs as a possibility, not a sure thing this year. The team is definitely trending in the right direction, despite the struggles lately. I would also say that roster-wise, he's given the team the talent in needs to compete at a high level.

As for Green, I think you need to survey what's available and take it from there. He's only got one year left on his deal, so they shouldn't be overly concerned about starting a search. If there's a better coach available, why not?

Gallant has a reputation as a players coach. One thing's for sure: there's no way he'd let Petey take the abuse he does without blowing his gasket on the refs...
I’m not advocating gassing Elmer. But the fact is he put this roster together and if they do miss, that is five years in a row. Not many GMs have survived that. And the cap crunch that is coming up was caused by him and him alone.
Luongo’s $3M recapture isn’t on Benning. $3M is a decent chunk of cap space that could be used to add a 3-5 spot D man to replace Troy or Jordie. Or it could be the raise given to Markstrom.

Cap issues due to Benning.....

The Air Thief
Bird Bones
Spooner Buyout
Baertschi
Roussel
Beagle

According to Doc all of those are solvable issues via trade.

Realistically I think Sutter and Baertschi are assets that’s can be moved.

Eriksson won’t be easy, even after July 2nd. He will still have a 15 team NTC (or is it 10?), and the only teams that could possibly be interested in taking him on as a cheap cap floor booster will likely be in his “hell no” list. Hope to be wrong on this one.

Beagle’s inept offensive skills have cost us a few goals this year, and some of them at key times where we could possibly have ended up with an extra couple points in the standings. However he’s a component that teams need, albeit one that is about $1M overpaid.

Roussel is worth his coin when he plays like Roussel played last season before his injury. Currently he should be someone who is dealt if there’s even a sniff of interest at the draft or during the off-season if it means dumping one of Sven or Loui in a package.

All I’m saying is that Elmer can find a way out of this mess.
Post Reply