Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 10331
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Micky » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:54 pm

TSN Live https://www.iheartradio.ca/tsn/tsn-vancouver-1040

Jim Benning to start now.
"evolution"

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2555
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 am

micky107 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:13 pm
update
@BlakePriceTSN
BREAKING: Full interview with Jim Benning coming up at 3:00... But on Ferland's health, the Canucks GM confirms with us "It's not a concussion"..
12:27 PM · Dec 11, 2019
Good to hear, hopefully it's minor and he just tweaked something. That being said, there's no need to rush him. It's not like he has contributed much to help us this season anyways. We don't really need him, as we have other guys who can play a similar role. Let him take his time and maybe he can come back later in the season when we're trying to make the playoff push.

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 10331
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Micky » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:01 am

.
The Actual TSN Jim Benning interview;
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1411754
Last edited by Micky on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"evolution"

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9488
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by The Brown Wizard » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:11 am

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 am
. Let him take his time and maybe he can come back later in the season when we're trying to make the playoff push.
Seeing as were already out of it I'd say the push is well under way. The time to win is now.

If the canucks are going to make it they're going to need Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat to start filling the net. So far we've enjoyed excellent depth scoring that has masked these 3 not having very good seasons production wise.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by UWSaint » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:52 am

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:11 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 am
. Let him take his time and maybe he can come back later in the season when we're trying to make the playoff push.
Seeing as were already out of it I'd say the push is well under way. The time to win is now.

If the canucks are going to make it they're going to need Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat to start filling the net. So far we've enjoyed excellent depth scoring that has masked these 3 not having very good seasons production wise.
Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat are all having their best ever seasons from a points per game standpoint. Goal scoring is a little down, but nothing terribly significant.

The Canucks have scored plenty; the problems are (1) their scoring is more erratic and (2) the early season ability to keep goals out of the net isn't there anymore. The latter is because Markstrom and Demko are looking less sharp and the PK missed Beagle and Sutter.
Hono_rary Canadian

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 10331
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Micky » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:03 pm

Brendan Batchelor
Morning skate lines for the #Canucks:

Pearson-Horvat-Leivo
Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-MacEwen

Fantenberg/Myers-Tanev
Benn-Stecher
Hughes-Chatfield

Gaudette not on the ice.
Tyler Motte! is taking part in #Canucks morning skate.
No Demko, Graovac, Edler or Ferland. Goalie coach Ian Clark is suited up this morning.
https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1205 ... 0%3Fs%3D21
"evolution"

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9488
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by The Brown Wizard » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:23 pm

UWSaint wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:52 am
The Brown Wizard wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:11 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 am
. Let him take his time and maybe he can come back later in the season when we're trying to make the playoff push.
Seeing as were already out of it I'd say the push is well under way. The time to win is now.

If the canucks are going to make it they're going to need Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat to start filling the net. So far we've enjoyed excellent depth scoring that has masked these 3 not having very good seasons production wise.
Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat are all having their best ever seasons from a points per game standpoint. Goal scoring is a little down, but nothing terribly significant.

The Canucks have scored plenty; the problems are (1) their scoring is more erratic and (2) the early season ability to keep goals out of the net isn't there anymore. The latter is because Markstrom and Demko are looking less sharp and the PK missed Beagle and Sutter.
Thats the thing Ewe-dub...I'm seeing these 3 all struggling to generate the same level of dominance they've previously demonstrated. Boeser and Pettersson especially are struggling under the defensive scrutiny. Bo I think is more just poor luck and his positive impact in games is still there
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 8389
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Cornuck » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:32 pm

I think a lot of it comes from our heightened expectations, then seeing Brock miss some glorious opportunities against the leaves.

It's frustrating as we expect 2-3 goals every game from the top line. Of course that's not realistic, but we watch the games to see the stars shine and do their thing. We're happy when Leivo scores, but we're REALLY happy when Brock slams home a one-timer, Elias makes a nifty move and snipes a shot - or Quinn controls the puck and dishes off for a great goal. Human nature, right?

Pettersson is 15th in league scoring and Wiz thinks he's having a shitty year. :D
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 9488
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by The Brown Wizard » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:32 pm
I think a lot of it comes from our heightened expectations, then seeing Brock miss some glorious opportunities against the leaves.

It's frustrating as we expect 2-3 goals every game from the top line. Of course that's not realistic, but we watch the games to see the stars shine and do their thing. We're happy when Leivo scores, but we're REALLY happy when Brock slams home a one-timer, Elias makes a nifty move and snipes a shot - or Quinn controls the puck and dishes off for a great goal. Human nature, right?

Pettersson is 15th in league scoring and Wiz thinks he's having a shitty year. :D
He could be in the top 5 if he was getting away from the coverage a bit better and staying on his feet more.

Brock is clearly dealing with a confidence thing. His shots aren't coming off the stick with anywhere near the same snap and he isn't able to make those little lateral stutter steps he usually does to get clear in the slot.

Look...I get it. The young guys are still pretty good but we are 3 points back of a wildcard and could easily go 0-3 over the next games. We need our top guns to be cashing in to make the show and I want to see the damn playoffs this year!
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 10331
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Micky » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:00 pm

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:23 pm

Thats the thing Ewe-dub...I'm seeing these 3 all struggling to generate the same level of dominance they've previously demonstrated. Boeser and Pettersson especially are struggling under the defensive scrutiny. Bo I think is more just poor luck and his positive impact in games is still there
Wiz; You are panicking. I think because you see our playoff aspirations dwindling away. Not yet they aren't by golly, gee-wiz (no pun intended).
I'm also picking up on you feeling a need to replace what Ferland brings when healthy. That might be a thought but not yet.
The team is not the same without Edler and it shows.
In regards to slumping high end talent, ya, a bit but nothing that doesn't happen to everyone from time to time.
If there is one thing that concerns me, it's that Green, IMO, maybe over doing the line drills. The problem with that is that during games, are they
playing spontaneously or trying to do what they practiced. When it comes to the way Pete, Brock and Bo, I would not want that.
These guys will start throwing up big points again real soon.
Lam a ittle concerned about the goaltending right now.

Now, something I find funny;
Brendan Batchelor
Brandon Sutter declares himself a game time decision for the Canucks
back-up couch Suts :mrgreen:
"evolution"

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 10331
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Micky » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:12 pm

yikes
Vancouver #Canucks
Demko suffered a concussion at practice yesterday and DiPietro has been recalled, said Coach Green.

Demko concussion In practice yesterday. Possibly from a collision with Loui Eriksson or from a shot he took off the mask. Either way, he started feeling symptoms yesterday evening, we've been told
Ferland, who is not in concussion protocol, is seeing a specialist, said Coach Green. Gaudette did not skate this morning, but is good to go for tonight
"evolution"

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16999
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Good job Louie :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil:
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 455
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by UWSaint » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:42 pm

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:23 pm
UWSaint wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:52 am
The Brown Wizard wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:11 am
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 am
. Let him take his time and maybe he can come back later in the season when we're trying to make the playoff push.
Seeing as were already out of it I'd say the push is well under way. The time to win is now.

If the canucks are going to make it they're going to need Pettersson, Boeser and Horvat to start filling the net. So far we've enjoyed excellent depth scoring that has masked these 3 not having very good seasons production wise.
Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat are all having their best ever seasons from a points per game standpoint. Goal scoring is a little down, but nothing terribly significant.

The Canucks have scored plenty; the problems are (1) their scoring is more erratic and (2) the early season ability to keep goals out of the net isn't there anymore. The latter is because Markstrom and Demko are looking less sharp and the PK missed Beagle and Sutter.
Thats the thing Ewe-dub...I'm seeing these 3 all struggling to generate the same level of dominance they've previously demonstrated. Boeser and Pettersson especially are struggling under the defensive scrutiny. Bo I think is more just poor luck and his positive impact in games is still there
I am not seeing that. Boeser's clean sheet against the Leaves was not because of defensive scrutiny. He's missing chances, but he's getting chances. And plenty of them. The problem is NOT what the opposition is giving him, its what he's doing with the opportunities. The shot is not dialed in. And even then, he's not that far off the goal pace he had last season (and is well ahead in points per game). Plus, he's playing the best two way game of his career. The problem is much more of a squeezing the stick variety than the opposition figuring out how to shut him down.

Same with Pettersson. His shots per game are up this season. And I haven't seen the shot attempts stat, but I would think they are considerably up (he's missed the net this year. A lot). As for withstanding checking, my eyes see a player doing far better dealing with that than post ASG last season. Yes, Pettersson falls down a bunch, but it isn't more than last year and it seems to be a bit of a thing to try to draw penalties (which he will get the reputation for and thus will stop being terribly effective). And it doesn't usually take him out of the play (or even result in a turnover) because he pops right back up. I'd rather have him develop more sturdiness and use the move he made the other night to give it to the player checking him, but all that's going to come. When they were 20, we drank heavily when the Sedins fell. By the time they were 25, they were as strong as Petr Forsberg or Jagr on the puck. And we were terribly sober.

Pettersson might not take that same path, but that kind of strength develops with maturity.
Hono_rary Canadian

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 10331
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Micky » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:22 pm

.
Pre-game; Travis Green / Jordie Benn

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/prega ... /c-4812484
"evolution"

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 15345
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:41 pm

So Ferland doesn't have a concussion, just concussion like symptoms. Suspicious!!

Demko with another concussion. So maybe we trade him and sign Markstrom and get Dipietro ready for 3 years from now.
The only HW the Canucks need

Post Reply