Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by The Brown Wizard » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:32 am

micky107 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:18 am
Miller is well worth it! Good honest guy too. ;) turn it up.

Miller has been everything you could ever want from a new guy for a young team. I knew he was a decent player before but i didnt know he was also this solid character type of guy.

Excellent addition
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:45 am

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:32 am
micky107 wrote:

Miller has been everything you could ever want from a new guy for a young team. I knew he was a decent player before but i didnt know he was also this solid character type of guy.

Excellent addition
Wonder if Tampa's dressing room misses him? Cap crunches are a thing when you're a contender, but I wonder if Tampa's front office isn't regretting trading Miller instead of RFA Brayden Point?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:53 am

Lancer wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:45 am
The Brown Wizard wrote:
micky107 wrote:

Excellent addition
Wonder if Tampa's dressing room misses him? Cap crunches are a thing when you're a contender, but I wonder if Tampa's front office isn't regretting trading Miller instead of RFA Brayden Point?
I've watched a few TB games this year and they absolutely are missing a guy like that...especially when things aren't going so well.

I'm sure that 1st will be discussed for decades but i applaud the GM for having the stones to recognize where his team was at and making this kind of move.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:23 am

Lancer wrote:
The Brown Wizard wrote:
micky107 wrote:

Excellent addition
I think you meant to say Palat, Killorn ,Johnson or Gourde. Point is probably their second best forward. Maybe their best all around and he took a nice contract to stay there.

Miller has been better than expected. I knew he was a good player but he really seems to be fitting in well on this team and seems to have embraced a leadership role.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Micky
MVP
MVP

Post by Micky » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Jeff Paterson
Canucks say Roussel is close. Considering options for him now including a possible stint in Utica
11:13 AM · Nov 22, 2019 f
That would surprise me somewhat. Considering the type of game he plays, why waste it down there?
IMO, he would be at least as much of a target for the AHL crashers and bashers and would-be wanna fighters as
the minors has no shortage of pissed-off guys not thinking they should be there and doing whatever necessary to get their arses
into the bigs.

As an aside; We have more apropos candidates. I think. :!:
"evolution"

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:41 pm

Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:23 am
Lancer wrote:
The Brown Wizard wrote:
micky107 wrote:

Excellent addition
I think you meant to say Palat, Killorn ,Johnson or Gourde. Point is probably their second best forward. Maybe their best all around and he took a nice contract to stay there.

Miller has been better than expected. I knew he was a good player but he really seems to be fitting in well on this team and seems to have embraced a leadership role.
If Miller was on the bolts he'd be leading that team in points and 1 back on the team goal scoring lead...so ya, they miss him

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:09 pm

Ok..... under that coach in Tampa he was playing on the 3rd/4th line. Not sure that was going to change this season if he stayed there. He’s gotten way more ice time and opportunity here. And deservedly so. He seems to really like being here. I always thought he was a good player. He looks better than I ever expected. Never knew he was that good of a 2 way player.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by UWSaint » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:54 pm

Doyle Hargraves wrote:
I think that's right. Thing is, this really is the first opportunity he's had to play that kind of role. That he can is a bonus.
Hono_rary Canadian

UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by UWSaint » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:55 pm

micky107 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:35 pm
Jeff Paterson
Canucks say Roussel is close. Considering options for him now including a possible stint in Utica
11:13 AM · Nov 22, 2019 f
That would surprise me somewhat. Considering the type of game he plays, why waste it down there?
IMO, he would be at least as much of a target for the AHL crashers and bashers and would-be wanna fighters as
the minors has no shortage of pissed-off guys not thinking they should be there and doing whatever necessary to get their arses
into the bigs.

As an aside; We have more apropos candidates. I think. :!:
Its not about whether he faces a risk. Its about getting him into game shape.
Hono_rary Canadian

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Recall when Genius Jim was hired, how we all recognized the cupboard was bare, the lineup was stocked with vets and and there was a strange age distribution to the lineup. Benning said one of the things he needed to do was address that age distribution. Looking through the lineup now:

2007 Draft Year - Sutter - Canucks drafted Patrick White in the 1st Round
2008 Draft Year - Meyers and Markstrom - Canucks drafted CoHo in the 1st Round
2010 Draft Year - Ferland - Canucks traded their 1st Round
2011 Draft Year - Miller, Leivo and Bearchia - Canucks drafted Nic Jensen in the 1st Round
2012 Draft Year - Pearson - Canucks drafted Gaunce in the 1st Round
2013 Draft Year - Horvat - Canucks draft
Benning Hired
2014 Draft Year - Virtanen and Demko - Canucks draft
2015 Draft Year - Boeser and Gaudette - Canucks draft
2017 Draft Year - Petersson - Canucks draft
2018 Draft Year - Hughes - Canucks draft

It has taken a few placeholders along the way and there are still movable parts in the lineup.

GENIUS JIM, GENIUS
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:36 pm

UWSaint wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:54 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote:
I think that's right. Thing is, this really is the first opportunity he's had to play that kind of role. That he can is a bonus.
That's not accurate.
He had worked his way to the top line in New York, and was a top line, PPG offensive producer in his first partial season in Tampa.

Last season's role was the outlier, not the rule.

Which is why I'm so glad I got Jimothy in my fantasy league :mrgreen:

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:04 pm

That is true ESQ.

Miller has proven 1st round pedigree and has consistently produced in the top 6 over his career. Last year was an exception because Tampa was ridiculously deep offensively and others had to take new roles. Both them and the Leaves were offensively top-heavy and didn't fare well in the playoffs.

Given his resume and his contract (no NMC), I found it quite comical that so many people (especially in the twitterverse and the so-called "media" members) went absolutely apeshit immediately over this trade. They're in the hockey biz but they don't know shit. Enjoy that huge serving of crow.
Try to focus on THIS year...

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Topper wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:05 pm
Recall when Genius Jim was hired, how we all recognized the cupboard was bare, the lineup was stocked with vets and and there was a strange age distribution to the lineup. Benning said one of the things he needed to do was address that age distribution. Looking through the lineup now:

2007 Draft Year - Sutter - Canucks drafted Patrick White in the 1st Round
2008 Draft Year - Meyers and Markstrom - Canucks drafted CoHo in the 1st Round
2010 Draft Year - Ferland - Canucks traded their 1st Round
2011 Draft Year - Miller, Leivo and Bearchia - Canucks drafted Nic Jensen in the 1st Round
2012 Draft Year - Pearson - Canucks drafted Gaunce in the 1st Round
2013 Draft Year - Horvat - Canucks draft
Benning Hired
2014 Draft Year - Virtanen and Demko - Canucks draft
2015 Draft Year - Boeser and Gaudette - Canucks draft
2017 Draft Year - Petersson - Canucks draft
2018 Draft Year - Hughes - Canucks draft

It has taken a few placeholders along the way and there are still movable parts in the lineup.

GENIUS JIM, GENIUS
:thumbs:

Mr Einstein wishes he was this smart!
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:47 pm

Hank wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:04 pm
That is true ESQ.

Miller has proven 1st round pedigree and has consistently produced in the top 6 over his career. Last year was an exception because Tampa was ridiculously deep offensively and others had to take new roles. Both them and the Leaves were offensively top-heavy and didn't fare well in the playoffs.

Given his resume and his contract (no NMC), I found it quite comical that so many people (especially in the twitterverse and the so-called "media" members) went absolutely apeshit immediately over this trade. They're in the hockey biz but they don't know shit. Enjoy that huge serving of crow.
Actually, JT does have an NMC - but it doesn't kick in until he reaches UFA years, so we got the benefit of the lowered Florida cap hit, and don't have an NMC - though I'm not sure if its permanently waived now that he's been traded, or if it will bind the Canucks? Doc?

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:50 pm

ESQ wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:47 pm
Actually, JT does have an NMC - but it doesn't kick in until he reaches UFA years, so we got the benefit of the lowered Florida cap hit, and don't have an NMC - though I'm not sure if its permanently waived now that he's been traded, or if it will bind the Canucks? Doc?
It was a NTC and it was voided cuz Jimothy got traded before it came into effect.

GENIUS
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!