Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News n Notes 2019-2020

Post by Madcombinepilot » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:00 am

Fantenberg left the game yesterday? (I think?) any update on him?? Is the defensive roster issue solved?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:52 am

So, in all likely hood, if Erickson stays up with the team, and Gaudette sent down to start, we need to move a roster guy on Forward. Joulevi is first defensive call up, and we know we need 8-10 defencemen, so we best not move one. Just working with forwards.
(If Gaudette stays, then Sutter MUST be moved, not an option unless Beagle is hurt -- imo I want to keep Sutter and call Gaudette up for the 30 games that Beagle and Sutter will be hurt. Another year of massive minutes in Utica with 20 NHL games - before the deadline- for Gaudette is perfect. If everyone is healthy, ship Sutter at TDL **thats the "Gaudette Plan")

So, With the "Gaudette Plan" in place for center spots, one of the following must go:

-Baertschi (Middle 6 guy)
-Motte (highest energy 4th line guy on the team - awesome work ethic)
-Goldobin (potential top 6 - 2nd highest pure skill guy on team)
-Leivo (best utility guy on the team)
-Virtanen (best chance of having a breakout year and getting 20 goals) - I didn't want to add Virtanen to this list as I think we need another year to see what he has.. he has improved every year an that's what you want from young guys. But, he has the potential to bring back the highest return and would be the easiest to move...

So the trade JB is looking at comes from the answers to the following questions:
- where are we strongest?
- where are we deepest?
- who gets us the best return?
- which position has the best call up from Utica.(excempting Gaudette)

Thoughts? Opinions?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by UWSaint » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:12 am

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:52 am
So, in all likely hood, if Erickson stays up with the team, and Gaudette sent down to start, we need to move a roster guy on Forward. Joulevi is first defensive call up, and we know we need 8-10 defencemen, so we best not move one. Just working with forwards.
(If Gaudette stays, then Sutter MUST be moved, not an option unless Beagle is hurt -- imo I want to keep Sutter and call Gaudette up for the 30 games that Beagle and Sutter will be hurt. Another year of massive minutes in Utica with 20 NHL games - before the deadline- for Gaudette is perfect. If everyone is healthy, ship Sutter at TDL **thats the "Gaudette Plan")

So, With the "Gaudette Plan" in place for center spots, one of the following must go:

-Virtanen (best chance of having a breakout year and getting 20 goals) - I didn't want to add Virtanen to this list as I think we need another year to see what he has.. he has improved every year an that's what you want from young guys. But, he has the potential to bring back the highest return and would be the easiest to move...

So the trade JB is looking at comes from the answers to the following questions:
- where are we deepest?

Thoughts? Opinions?
I don't think that the answers come from the questions of organizational depth, but of playing out the best solutions to bad scenarios -- where we have injuries to top 6 forwards. That's why my preference is hold onto the best player (Baertschi) and the player with the most immediate potential (Goldobin).

Motte is a gamer, but is useless as a replacement for a quality player going down. Leivo is a 26 yo who showed us what he could do in a top 6 role last year and it is unlikely he has much more to give. It wasn't that good. And he isn't a true utility guy because he doesn't kill penalties and can't play center -- a utility player should be able to go up and down the lineup, be passable in 2 of the three (playing center, PP, PK).

Return matters, of course -- you are absolutely right. Which is why an offer for any of these players should be considered and balanced against the rest. But no one is shedding tears if no trade is made and Leivo or Motte are waived and picked up by another organization.
Hono_rary Canadian

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Post by The Brown Wizard » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:16 am

My opinions are...

- to try and either recoup a 1st round pick for jake or use his potential to entice someone to bite on eriksson with no retained.

- i try to move bearchi as he doesnt fit in our top 6 and isnt suitable on a bottom 6 rotation. He might command a decent return so theres that

- gaudette apparently has earned a spot but we might neeed to do a paper shuffle move where his rights go to utica for the season start then recalled once the french fry can be loaded onto the ltir. I think Hughes could enjoy the same

- trade or waive goldy. He hasnt shown anything that seperates him this camp. I had hoped to see his game had turned a corner but its looking like we will see more of the same.

- I'm keeping Motte. Hes consistent in his hustle and physical commitment.

- I'm keeping sutter

- Leivo is embedded in this organization apparently otherwise I might explore trades.

- Schaller trade or eaived
So to summarize...

I try and move 2 of Eriksson, Virtanen, Leivo, Goldobin, Baertchi, Schaller.

I keep Motte, Gaudette and Sutter.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:45 am

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:52 am

- where are we deepest?

Thoughts? Opinions?
Great post!

A slot may well open up for Gaudette, and if it did, I could actually see a situation where he plays with Sutter. Both can play the wing
and Sutter can be the mentor he was brought here to be in regards to passing on his experience on face-offs in particular situations.
If big ice-time is what they want for Gaudette then he will be sent down. Double edged sword though in that if he played better and better
on the Canucks, it would rise.

Jake may have sealed his fate last night with that double minor for high-sticking for no particular reason. I keep rooting fro him but "shit".

Nor sure Juolevi will be the first call up as he's still needs plenty of work to just catch up to where he was, (which was lookin good) last
year in Utica.
Rafferty is solid in the defensive zone as well and looks NHL-ready. The issue is the Canucks just don’t have any room for him. The top-six group is already set, with no openings. To make the team, he’d have to unseat Alex Biega, which would mean sitting in the press box instead of playing big minutes in the AHL to prepare for the NHL. Rafferty had nothing but positive things to say about Biega, who treated him exceptionally well despite the fact they were competing for the same job.
That shot from the point caught my eye, big-time! Other than Edler once in a while or a forward on the point on the PP, when's the last time we've had that?
Guess it's not as used as it was anyways but a nice weapon to have.
"evolution"

Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Cherry Picker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:23 pm

They are trying to make the playoffs, so you wouldn't trade anyone but the worst players, and you won't get anything for them, so just waive them and keep the depth in Utica. Goldobin and Schaller should go down and try to work hard so they deserve a call up over a prospect.
We are all Jim Benning.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:23 pm

Pettersson explains his off-season bulk, shows off his incredible memory

TSN: https://www.tsn.ca/video/pettersson-exp ... ry~1787656
"evolution"

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Post by The Brown Wizard » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm

I'd say as of right now the Broganator has stepped over OJ on the depth chart...other than the righty/lefty thing.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Brock Boeser is in concussion protocal and is out for an unknown time/ Travis Green
"evolution"

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:36 pm

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm
I'd say as of right now the Broganator has stepped over OJ on the depth chart...other than the righty/lefty thing.
That’s to be expected at this point since Ollie is still recovering from knee surgery. Just thought I’d point out that ‘minor’ detail
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Post by The Brown Wizard » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:38 pm

Chef Boi RD wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:36 pm
The Brown Wizard wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:26 pm
That’s to be expected at this point since Ollie is still recovering from knee surgery. Just thought I’d point out that ‘minor’ detail
BR has shown the ability to contribute in the NHL...OJ has not. I'm not judging whatsoever just stating a factual observation.

In fairness I did say "as of right now..."

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:42 pm

Boeser out with a concussion now, add it to the many lists of injuries he's sustained in two years sadly.

Could be minor or not (awesome diagnosis skyo) thanks.
Boeser & Fantenberg are both in concussion protocol, said Coach Green.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:46 pm

SKYO wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:42 pm
Boeser out with a concussion now, add it to the many lists of injuries he's sustained in two years sadly.

Green should sit Pettersson tomorrow and send all the big guys out for headhunting, FFS.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:52 pm

Jovocop wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:46 pm
SKYO wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:42 pm

Green should sit Pettersson tomorrow and send all the big guys out for headhunting, FFS.
Just heard Green (I'll put it up whenever), He played it down. Called it a hockey play.
Way to go, Trav; you're a pussy.
"evolution"

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:53 pm

Virtanen gets a new lease on nhl life with Brock on concussion protocol
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate