2018-2019 Stanley Cup Finals

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: 2018-2019 Stanley Cup Finals

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat May 25, 2019 12:09 pm

ukcanuck wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:29 am
I think the reason Benning is a genius is he’s playing the long game as well as the short one.

I’m mean the drafting has been strategic. All his picks have been with purpose including and especially the Juolevi pick which I still think was a smart move. I’m not gonna say tkatchuk wouldn’t have been a no brainer, but the long game says the Canucks team that wins the cup are going to need stud D man that juolevi projected to be.

As for the short term trades, the ones you mention, well while we are waiting for the draft picks to pan out we still gotta Ice a team and they had the Sedins to not embarrass. So I’m alright with those trades even if they did give up a second here and there. And I don’t care what anyone says Sutter is a hockey player. You need guys like that.

As far as I’m concerned Benning has shown great thought in his moves. It’s like the guy has a plan and a strategy and I’m enjoying watching albeit from a fuck of a long way away. I’m relying a lot on what’s said here amongst you guys and shitty hi light packages.
The amount of nothing here is amazing.

If he's playing the short and the long game then isn't he basically in the middle/ On the fence / half in - half out / just the tip ??

"Strategic drafting"... as opposed to? drafting alphabetically? Calling in your picks from the shitter with The Hockey News Draft edition?

"Sutter is a hockey player"... news to me. I thought he was a lawyer.

"It's like the guy has a plan and a strategy"... well I would hope so. Even his biggest detractors wouldn't claim he wakes up in the morning and spins the wheel of fortune.

Then again, if you've based your assessment on what Doc and Dude are spinning, of course you'd see the kernels of corn in Benning's shit as sparkling gold.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sat May 25, 2019 2:36 pm

Lol, Nucklehead is triggered because he suffers from Benning Derangement Syndrome.

If you say anything good about Jimbro he loses his cornless shit. :D

It's only going to get worse as the golden new core rises to the top...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sat May 25, 2019 3:38 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 2:36 pm

If you say anything good about Jimbro he loses his cornless shit. :D

It's only going to get worse as the golden new corn rises to the top...
:lol:

Cornuck getting all excited somewhere south and to the east
nobody focks...with the jesus

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Sat May 25, 2019 8:54 pm

Even more so with a Midwest team in the final. :D

I actually walked to Missouri today.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:09 pm
ukcanuck wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:29 am
I think the reason Benning is a genius is he’s playing the long game as well as the short one.

I’m mean the drafting has been strategic. All his picks have been with purpose including and especially the Juolevi pick which I still think was a smart move. I’m not gonna say tkatchuk wouldn’t have been a no brainer, but the long game says the Canucks team that wins the cup are going to need stud D man that juolevi projected to be.

As for the short term trades, the ones you mention, well while we are waiting for the draft picks to pan out we still gotta Ice a team and they had the Sedins to not embarrass. So I’m alright with those trades even if they did give up a second here and there. And I don’t care what anyone says Sutter is a hockey player. You need guys like that.

As far as I’m concerned Benning has shown great thought in his moves. It’s like the guy has a plan and a strategy and I’m enjoying watching albeit from a fuck of a long way away. I’m relying a lot on what’s said here amongst you guys and shitty hi light packages.
The amount of nothing here is amazing.

If he's playing the short and the long game then isn't he basically in the middle/ On the fence / half in - half out / just the tip ??

"Strategic drafting"... as opposed to? drafting alphabetically? Calling in your picks from the shitter with The Hockey News Draft edition?

"Sutter is a hockey player"... news to me. I thought he was a lawyer.

"It's like the guy has a plan and a strategy"... well I would hope so. Even his biggest detractors wouldn't claim he wakes up in the morning and spins the wheel of fortune.

Then again, if you've based your assessment on what Doc and Dude are spinning, of course you'd see the kernels of corn in Benning's shit as sparkling gold.
That’s interesting because if my statements are nothing then you’re reading comprehension is pretty sad.

Long game, short game...perhaps it would be easier if I used short term and long term goals. Gillis for example sacrificed the long term goal
Of producing consistent winners over time for the short term goal of winning the cup now.

Benning seems to be doing reverse, he is using the short term goals to facilitate the long term goal of producing winning teams over time. I think most would agree the latter is the sage advice.

As

Even if the Canucks would have got just one bounce in 2011 we would still be here where we are now. The difference being of course is that we could actually watch the hilights and reminisce.

Drafting strategy: some managers have one, such as picking the best player available. Some managers do not. Which seems likely to explain why there are so many first round duds compared to the later rounds.

Benning’s pick of juolevi over tkatchuck is a prime example of sticking to a strategy.

As for Sutter yeah he’s a player. He’s the guy that sits in the spot that manny malhotra’s spot in the lineup and although he hasn’t had the change to fulfill that expectation yet. He’s the guy and In that role I’m confident he’s capable.

As
For listening to you lot, I’m literally half way around the world and I seem to have a better grasp of what’s going on back home than you... scary thought eh?

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun May 26, 2019 5:11 am

ukcanuck wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 pm

Benning’s pick of juolevi over tkatchuck is a prime example of sticking to a strategy.

No.

It’s a prime example of a blown draft pick is what it is.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Sun May 26, 2019 6:24 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:11 am
ukcanuck wrote:

No.

Yup.
nobody focks...with the jesus

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:53 am

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:24 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

No.

Yup.
it's not ove Yup.
"evolution"

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun May 26, 2019 7:53 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

No.

Blob is the guy who starts clapping before the song is over. He probably has a reputation in bed with his wife as “over in 2 minutes”
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

ukcanuck
CC Legend

Post by ukcanuck » Sun May 26, 2019 8:29 am

There’s three “can’t handle a rebuild “ comments in a row.

I know you’ll have a hard time believing this but the kid is 21 he’s had lots of seasoning and unless his injury was more serious than the Canucks are saying watch Juolevi step in and make an impact this year and win over even more fans to Benning’s genius.

Not taking anything away from tkatchuk but that type of player is a lot easier to come by than blue hip defencemen and if your serious about building a championship team from within you gotta gamble on defencemen in the draft. Nobody trades good Dmen away for forwards.

It would have been easy to take tkatchuk, it was ballsy to gamble on juolevi. If it works out Benning will have four of his top six from within the organization all at roughly the same age and if they can build some chemistry with a couple or three grizzled veterans.

In fact if you look at the ages of all their impact players on their roster it’s almost like it was by design?

Pretty impressive when one thinks about it 🤔

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun May 26, 2019 8:42 am

ukcanuck wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:29 am

I know you’ll have a hard time believing this but the kid is 21 he’s had lots of seasoning and unless his injury was more serious than the Canucks are saying watch Juolevi step in and make an impact this year and win over even more fans to Benning’s genius.

Not taking anything away from tkatchuk but that type of player is a lot easier to come by than blue hip defencemen and if your serious about building a championship team from within you gotta gamble on defencemen in the draft. Nobody trades good Dmen away for forwards.

It would have been easy to take tkatchuk, it was ballsy to gamble on juolevi. If it works out Benning will have four of his top six from within the organization all at roughly the same age and if they can build some chemistry with a couple or three grizzled veterans.

In fact if you look at the ages of all their impact players on their roster it’s almost like it was by design?

No they are true comments that that Elmer bungled the 2016 draft.

I’m not sure what a “blue hip “ defenceman is. Good forwards get traded for good D men all the time. If Elmer doesn’t make that awful pick and the awful Gudbranson trade he could very well have his top 6 forward group complete:

Tkachuk Petterson Boeser
Debrincat Horvat McCann

As it is they still have a weak blue line pipeline even with Juolevi and they are missing three top six forwards. It was a colossal fuck up. Hopefully Juolevi can salvage something coming into his fourth training camp. My hope is that one day he can become a decent second pairing guy.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun May 26, 2019 8:45 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:53 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:

No.

Blob is the guy who starts clapping before the song is over. He probably has a reputation in bed with his wife as “over in 2 minutes”
Dude is the guy who picks a woman for one thing she does effectively regardless of her personality or what she looks like. As long as she can wash the landing strips off his greasy spandex and keep his wife beaters clean, she is mint in his eyes.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sun May 26, 2019 9:56 am

ukcanuck wrote:

Great post!

Olli was young for his draft class, he’s only 6 months older than Elias Pettersson to give you an idea. He was well behind in his immaturity due to his age in which putting him under the watchful eye and mentorship of Salo over in Finland’s top pro league playing against men was smart asset management, instead of returning him to London for another year. According to Salo, it was a success. Has off season back surgery after the successful one season Salo mentorship in Finland screwing up his off season training so he needs to start the year in Utica. Is playing good hockey down there then his season is cut short due to a wonkey knee he’d been playing on requiring season ending surgery. Now cue in Blobbee’s panic attacks
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sun May 26, 2019 9:59 am

Lol Salo said the kid didn’t compete hard enough. He was equal in praising and bashing him. He’s been healthy for three camps and was never remotely close to making one of the leagues worst blue lines out of camp. He needs to put up or shut up coming into his fourth camp.

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:04 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:42 am
ukcanuck wrote:

No they are true comments that that Elmer bungled the 2016 draft.

I’m not sure what a “blue hip “ defenceman is. Good forwards get traded for good D men all the time. If Elmer doesn’t make that awful pick and the awful Gudbranson trade he could very well have his top 6 forward group complete:

Tkachuk Petterson Boeser
Debrincat Horvat McCann

As it is they still have a weak blue line pipeline even with Juolevi and they are missing three top six forwards. It was a colossal fuck up. Hopefully Juolevi can salvage something coming into his fourth training camp. My hope is that one day he can become a decent second pairing guy.
I wanna see this list of good forwards for good dmen you got. Unless you think gudbranson is a good dman? He returned a darn good forward, top 6 forward to be exact.