Karlsson, Myers, None or ... ? Poll

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

UFAs and the Canucks D

Sign Karlsson - no matter what it takes!
37%
Sign Myers or another top UFA Dman
33%
Don't sign any UFA Dman
7%
Make a trade or two for more bodies on the blueline
15%
Just play the rookies - they'll get the job done
7%

Total votes: 27

5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Karlsson, Myers, None or ... ? Poll

Post by 5thhorseman » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:26 am

It's EK or nothing for me as well, though a part of me feels a big FA signing at this point in the team's development is still a bit premature. Ideally, the addition of a piece like FA should move us into top contender territory, rather than just get us into the playoffs with some room to spare. But we've all got hard-ons for EK and EP40 playing together so it's hard to resist.

Most likely the best way forward is to let the team continue to develop and make the big signings/trades a few years down the road when we are in a position of strength both FA-wise (able to get a hometown discount) and trade-wise (have surplus pieces to deal). I know it's boring but probably reality.

That said, there is some merit to SKYO's argument that we can contend while EP40 is still on his ELC (our first 'window', if you will), depending on how EP's 2nd and 3rd years go, but once he signs his big contract will the team be hamstrung with too many big contracts plus Luongo cap recapture? It's a risk that Benning may want to take to stay employed.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:51 am

5thhorseman wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:26 am
It's EK or nothing for me as well, though a part of me feels a big FA signing at this point in the team's development is still a bit premature.
And if EK were available two or three years from now, it would make more sense. He would be the player that could take us from just squeaking into the playoffs (where we'll be next year) to winning two or three rounds as the team matures.

With that said, I understand Skyo's push, as these guys don't come around when it's convenient - so the team should grab him.

We still have too many question marks.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:31 am

SKYO wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:20 am
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:15 am
Skyo,

So you sign EK for 10 or 11...

then what?
Start winning? and make every player better on the team, increasing trade value down the road, making it easier to move cap when needed.
glossing over the fact that adding him would still have left Last games Defence with 2 of 3 of Sautner, Brisbois and Biega on the ice,
Wait what?
what happens in 3 years when Pettersson and Boesser have new shiney contracts (probably 15+ million more of cap) and Luongo retires? -- whats his cap recapture again? 5 or 8 million or some shit??
Pretty clear the Panthers/Canucks and the league would want to avoid a serious legal matter, so the league has turned a blind eye to the LTIR/retirement thing.
your going to let Hughes walk out the door to go sign with his brothers team because you want Karlsson now? because that's whats going to happen.
Riiiight because you said so, we don't even know how good or okay Hughes will be yet.
no team can have 3-4 guys making more than 8 million a year and 2 guys making more than 10 and still ice a competitive team.
The best money to spend on players in the league is your #1 center and your #1 dman. That's Petey and 2x Norris trophy winner Karlsson.

See the Leaves overspending on forwards is costing em now, we shouldn't make that mistake.

Need equality payments to your forwards & on D.

Our highest paid players should be elite and you draft develop youngsters to surround em with, when they become too expensive you swap em for high picks and prospects for the long term health of the franchise, and when the team is close to contending can sell some of that built up wealth of prospects/picks to buy some quality depth for a Cup run's, and likely multiple Cup runs with a core of Petey, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes and EK. Exactly what the Aqualini's want.
I was pointing out that all the eggs are in 1 basket. When the inevitable injuries hit, and 3 guys are down, your will still have 2 or 3 AHL guys on your defence corps. Teams are having trouble moving cap now. Why would that change? Could you imaging the public media driven roasting if JB had to give up a precious draft pick to move Eriksson?? the backlash would be incredible.

NO DEPTH = NO WINNING.

You hoping the league is going to 'turn a blind eye' is juvenile. Plan for the worst. The rule was called "the Luongo Rule" (not the "Pronger" or "Horton") for a reason. They (the league) always look to fuck us. Why expect anything different?

Regarding Hughes, NOBODY knows how good he is. He is being projected as a franchise player. Those cost 10+ million now. In 3 years, probably more like 12-13m. If you have EK on the payroll, you cant afford that, especially if we nailed with a Luongo retirement. The math is simple. And you cant have equality of spending between forwards and defencemen. You have twice as many forwards on a team.

I agree with what your saying about surrounding your elite players, and moving them when its time. We are simply not there yet, and blowing your load on a 7 year contract worth 10+ will hamstring this team in 3 years, and it will get worse as EK declines (especially if he keeps declining at the rate he is.. and lets ignore the injury (s) he will get while playing here. EVERYONE gets injured playing here)

I get that you want to win now, but I respectfully disagree with how your doing it. Its the wrong time for this team to sign a contract like that. There can be a time for that (depending how a team is built) but for this team, its not now. And while he helps us, he doesn't help us ENOUGH now, and hamstrings the future. If he isn't Winning it all for you now, you have to pass as it kills the future.

… and shush blob. The adults are talking. Stop trolling crap into a conversation.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 am

Hmm are the adults the ones that think pissing huge dollars into the fourth line improves the team a great deal? I mean where would this team be without Beagle and Schaller?

Those adults? :lol:
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:48 am

5thhorseman wrote:
It's EK or nothing for me as well,
Can't wait, it's going to be EK and EP lighting it up with some highlight reel goals. AE and LE playing super D and JM standing on his head holding down the fort for us. :lol:

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:57 am

Cornuck wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:51 am
5thhorseman wrote:
It's EK or nothing for me as well, though a part of me feels a big FA signing at this point in the team's development is still a bit premature.
And if EK were available two or three years from now, it would make more sense. He would be the player that could take us from just squeaking into the playoffs (where we'll be next year) to winning two or three rounds as the team matures.

With that said, I understand Skyo's push, as these guys don't come around when it's convenient - so the team should grab him.

Bingo!

Grabbing EK while Petey is on his ELC for a couple years would be superb, just like Stamkos and Crosby/Malkin had real early success, then the turnover of the vets before they went on contending some years later but had a commanding strong team 10+ years now.

And as you said, Norris trophy winning dmen are not available whenever you need em, so grab em whenever you can - no matter where you are in your rebuild, plus Petey, Horvat and Boeser are already starting to blossom, hell they are even make a late playoff push right now! ha keep that momentum going next season by adding an elite talent on D.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 am
Some folks would rather spend 10.4 million on Sutter and Eriksson than get an elite player for that money.

Makes total sense :stupid:
Really?

I thought everyone had agreed that it's time to move on from those two placeholders in favour of younger players.

And just 2 and 3 years left on those contracts whereas Karlsson will get 7 years.

(rolling into the post-rebuild years where cap-hits become a big concern)

Karlsson would pull in more money-per-yr than any Nuck dman in history (in fact more than double!)

... and he'll be 35 or 36 by the time the contract expires.

He's been injured a lot over the last two years and there is a chunk of bone missing from his ankle permanently.

Also, if Hughes develops into a #1, Karlsson's salary will increase Hughes' ask down the road.

(see Leaves' signing of Tavares)

Signing Karlsson requires a full NMC

... which is most likely fine re: expansion draft

... but there's a slight chance his game starts to slip due to the aforementioned injury problems.

So there ARE some legit reasons to be concerned (no need to call those who disagree with you "stupid" and "idiots").

BTW I can remember when you were on board with acquiring the Guds and Loui. :-P

EDIT: keep in mind I've said I'm personally on the fence about signing Karlsson... but I can see why others say 'no'.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 am
Hmm are the adults the ones that think pissing huge dollars into the fourth line improves the team a great deal? I mean where would this team be without Beagle and Schaller?

The adults know that these two players are making far less than the average NHL salary.

In fact Schaller is making around half the average.

The adults know these salaries will be gone by the time their cap-space is needed.

The adults know a few solid vet mentors are still necessary at this stage.

The adults know you are indeed trolling.

"Now move along son, ya bother me." :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:31 pm

Lol at Doc for being so holier than thou. Calls people every name in the book, alcoholics, bald, fat etc. Broompushers etc etc...

Too funny :lol:
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:33 pm

When Petey and EK are ripping it up next year, the anti-EK folks can eat crow, there's ton of em near BCIT I hear.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:34 pm

SKYO wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:57 am
Cornuck wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:51 am
5thhorseman wrote:

Bingo!

Grabbing EK while Petey is on his ELC for a couple years would be superb, just like Stamkos and Crosby/Malkin had real early success, then the turnover of the vets before they went on contending some years later but had a commanding strong team 10+ years now.

And as you said, Norris trophy winning dmen are not available whenever you need em, so grab em whenever you can - no matter where you are in your rebuild, plus Petey, Horvat and Boeser are already starting to blossom, hell they are even make a late playoff push right now! ha keep that momentum going next season by adding an elite talent on D.
If JB can get EK and another top 4 defender then I will buy everyone a JB is a Genius button.

He would have to work it out on how to make it happen but a few ideas jump out, get rid of Sutter/LE and Tanev/Edler to make it work. Unless we can make it work now? Bear needs to retire - would be great to have him play all 82 games but he seems to be 1 hit away from a significant life impacting injury.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:50 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:23 am
Some folks would rather spend 10.4 million on Sutter and Eriksson than get an elite player for that money.

Makes total sense :stupid:
Really?

I thought everyone had agreed that it's time to move on from those two placeholders in favour of younger players.

And just 2 and 3 years left on those contracts whereas Karlsson will get 7 years.

(rolling into the post-rebuild years where cap-hits become a big concern)

Karlsson would pull in more money-per-yr than any Nuck dman in history (in fact more than double!)

... and he'll be 35 or 36 by the time the contract expires.

He's been injured a lot over the last two years and there is a chunk of bone missing from his ankle permanently.

Also, if Hughes develops into a #1, Karlsson's salary will increase Hughes' ask down the road.

(see Leaves' signing of Tavares)

Signing Karlsson requires a full NMC

... which is most likely fine re: expansion draft

... but there's a slight chance his game starts to slip due to the aforementioned injury problems.

So there ARE some legit reasons to be concerned (no need to call those who disagree with you "stupid" and "idiots").

BTW I can remember when you were on board with acquiring the Guds and Loui. :-P

EDIT: keep in mind I've said I'm personally on the fence about signing Karlsson... but I can see why others say 'no'.
Exactly, 3 years of EK would be fine if they are playing 3 years form now, but with his $11mil per would come trade protection and he'll structure it so that he's paid through the coming lockout/strike.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:53 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:34 pm
If JB can get EK and another top 4 defender then I will buy everyone a JB is a Genius button.

He would have to work it out on how to make it happen but a few ideas jump out, get rid of Sutter/LE and Tanev/Edler to make it work. Unless we can make it work now? Bear needs to retire - would be great to have him play all 82 games but he seems to be 1 hit away from a significant life impacting injury.
So your solution is to move out a #1 and a #2 dman and bring in two top-4 dmen! :lol:

You also say we need to move out $20M (Sutter/LE/Tanev/Edler) in salary "to make it work". :hmmm:

Ummmmmm. We'll likely have $20M in cap space without moving out a single one of those guys.

But nope, somehow you've gotten it into your head that there's a huge cap crunch coming next season.

I keep telling you you're wrong about that (I have even provided numbers a few times).

I've asked you to show your math and each time *poof* you're gone.

I hope it's your wife who manages the money in your household.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

There are none so blind...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 am

No Blob.

Wrong adults.

I am talking about the adults having one conversation when the pre-teen who is not involved (but really, really wants to be!! -- thinking it makes them popular!!) keeps saying the same witty comeback thing from a conversation from yesterday
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Is Ernest Borgnine going on about UFA placement holders who are not an issue with the cap now and in the future when this young core group Benning is meticulously and deftly assembling takes flight, again
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate