Karlsson, Myers, None or ... ? Poll

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

UFAs and the Canucks D

Sign Karlsson - no matter what it takes!
37%
Sign Myers or another top UFA Dman
33%
Don't sign any UFA Dman
7%
Make a trade or two for more bodies on the blueline
15%
Just play the rookies - they'll get the job done
7%

Total votes: 27

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Karlsson, Myers, None or ... ? Poll

Post by Cornuck » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 am

Just wondering what the consensus is around here regarding UFAs and our D.

Do we shoot our wad on Karlsson (assuming he wants to play here)? Do we go after one of the 'next tier' UFA Dman like Myers or Gardiner?

Do we sit back this year and leave the D more or less 'as is'? Hope that Hughes is the next saviour, and we re-sign Edler?

Do we trade for some 3rd or 4th tier players to act as placeholders while Woo Juolevi make their way up the ranks?
2018-19 - The Road to 82

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Karlsson, Myers, None or ... ? Poll

Post by SKYO » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:16 am

The game today is about speed and elite skill, Karlsson checks all the boxes.

Hands up if you're tired of all the shitty drop passes from Edler, the horrible giveaways from the likes of Pouliot, the slow decision making of Hutton where the powerplay slows down, Stecher not having enough skill.

Pettersson and Boeser deserve some help on point and also keep EK away from our enemies.

A player like EK rarely becomes available, let alone not having to having to give up 1st rounders and prospects for, its all cash from our rich owners, and the cap keeps going up!

Thanks For Coming To My Ted Talk.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:41 am

I’d rather they grab stralman or mcquaid or even polak all on the cheap. Polak can be a one year deal probably and he’s shown value at deadlines.

rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 am

I voted Myers or another top dman

All eggs in one basket + injury would cripple us and we’d be right back to where we are now
You are who you hang with.....

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:32 am

rats19 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 am
I voted Myers or another top dman

All eggs in one basket + injury would cripple us and we’d be right back to where we are now
Champions don't think that way, it is why having Quinn Hughes the student learn from the master Karlsson, better to have two QB's than one. that's what she said.

Caps - Carlson, Orlov
Pens - Letang, Schultz
?Canucks - EK, Hughes - that attack be deadlier than a blob/rd hangover
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:37 am

I'm with Rats on this one (sorry, Skyo). As much as I would love to see Karlsson wear the orca, I'd hate to see where we are in 5-6 years and he's closing out his contract. I guess the real question behind this would be: "Will the Canucks be a contender with Karlsson within the next 4-5 years?". He would surely help, but I see his GP numbers going down each year, and it worries me.

I'd rather go with a 2nd tier UFA, which would still help the team, but not hamstring us down the road when our kids need new contracts. We have the potential for a generational talent in EP, and really need a solid D to back him up.

Lots of reasons to go with Karlsson, but being a Canucks fan, I assume the worst case scenario will play out. (sorry, Skyo).
2018-19 - The Road to 82

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Cornuck wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:37 am
As much as I would love to see Karlsson wear the orca, I'd hate to see where we are in 5-6 years and he's closing out his contract.

I guess the real question behind this would be: "Will the Canucks be a contender with Karlsson within the next 4-5 years?". He would surely help, but I see his GP numbers going down each year, and it worries me.
If you get a guy like Petey on his ELC, the best time to buy an expensive top tier QB who has 70-80pt ability is now, especially if you don't have to give up top picks and prospects for said QB.

Cornuck wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:37 am
I'd rather go with a 2nd tier UFA, which would still help the team, but not hamstring us down the road when our kids need new contracts. We have the potential for a generational talent in EP, and really need a solid D to back him up.

Lots of reasons to go with Karlsson, but being a Canucks fan, I assume the worst case scenario will play out. (sorry, Skyo).
It's the beauty of signing Karlsson, worrying about contracts? look at this way, with EK he'll make all the prospects better.....where am I going with this? when it's time to re-sign the "middle of the pack" prospects RFA's we can flip them for 1st rounders or top prospects to keep the cupboard full for a long time. Elite players make your depth players better and increase their value in the trade market. A player like Myers isn't going to do that, Jets fans keep complaining about his dumb penalties and lack of awareness sometimes, and don't think he's worth more than $5M per.

I'm just getting tired of spending millions on mediocre talent.

Anyways just go the Penguins or Tampa model, keep your top 2 centers, a couple top wingers, top two dmen & your goalie locked up.

The 2nd/3rd/4th liners and depth dmen can all be sold high over the years.
Last edited by SKYO on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:13 pm

I voted Myers. You could sign this guy to somewhat reasonable cap and term.

Term for Karlsson could screw things up in a few years. Also, not sure how he holds up either, seems to be getting a lot of injuries.

Tanev and Edler has to have their minutes and responsibilities lowered, essentially made the second pair. I see QH with about equal minutes as Edler next season around 18-20 minutes, so Myers & Hughes as the top pairing. Pushing Stecher & Hutton to the third pairing means this team has defensive depth back to the heydays.

Keeping guys like Biega, Schenn, Brisebois, Sautner to emergencies only. Perfect scenario.

If Juolevi comes up and wows, then you can think about getting some value back for Edler or Hutton.

If JB can also get something on par with Tanev over the summer, I'd move on from him too.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:39 pm

I picked the 2nd.

I would of picked the first with a caveat that the Genius still needs to get another top 4 D man. Of course if we didn't have $10M tied up on 2 boat anchors then this would be easier to do.

My second option is to really wait 1 more season and see how Huges/Julio trends next year. As a pure fan I want playoffs next season and Karlsson would probably bring that but will it be enough to go far? Or do we wait 1 more year see what we have and then fill the voids?

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 pm

If they cough up 7 + to Myers , that will be an albatross. This guy is an average 2nd pairing guy. At 5 million , sure sign me up, but that ain’t happening. No fucking way you pay him as top 20 d man. Horrible boat anchor will end up being another Loui debacle.

If there is any way Elmer is leaning towards that, the Italians had better take the cheque book away. We’d be better to sit out UFA season completely
“SUTTER IS AS GOOD AS COUTURIER”

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 pm
If they cough up 7 + to Myers , that will be an albatross. This guy is an average 2nd pairing guy. At 5 million , sure sign me up, but that ain’t happening. No fucking way you pay him as top 20 d man. Horrible boat anchor will end up being another Loui debacle.

If there is any way Elmer is leaning towards that, the Italians had better take the cheque book away. We’d be better to sit out UFA season completely
So vote for it! I'm the only one on option 3 so far.
"evolution"

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:41 pm

micky107 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:33 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 pm

So vote for it! I'm the only one on option 3 so far.
I voted to blow the wad on Karlsson. There’s only a handful of players I’d like to see them take a run at. If they strike out, go dumpster diving July 4th. No jumping out of their shoes to sign scrubs like they have for three years running
“SUTTER IS AS GOOD AS COUTURIER”

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Make Karlsson an offer. I don’t think he has much interest in coming here (Dallas or NYR imo), but I’d rather give him $10-12 than Myers 7-8. Karlsson is a legit number 1/franchise D. Myers isn’t a significant upgrade on Edler.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:41 pm
If they strike out, go dumpster diving July 4th. No jumping out of their shoes to sign scrubs like they have for three years running
Yep. Go big or go home.

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:24 pm

I'm in the Karlsson or nothing group. Try to get the franchise D man. If that doesn't work don't go for more overpaid middle-to-low-enders.

One caveat to the signing is that I would want to be sure that the Ericksson and Sutter contracts could be moved to cover off the cap hit (or most of it) for Karlsson prior to taking that on.

Just imagine the potential magic of Pettersson and Karlsson together. :drink:
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:45 pm

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:24 pm
I'm in the Karlsson or nothing group. Try to get the franchise D man. If that doesn't work don't go for more overpaid middle-to-low-enders.

One caveat to the signing is that I would want to be sure that the Ericksson and Sutter contracts could be moved to cover off the cap hit (or most of it) for Karlsson prior to taking that on.

Just imagine the potential magic of Pettersson and Karlsson together. :drink:
Like this guy did?

All throughout All-Star weekend, Elias Pettersson and Erik Karlsson seemed to be together whenever a camera was nearby, sparking many fans to speculate if Karlsson may be headed back over the border in a Vancouver Canucks’ jersey come free agency time.
Picture this, Vancouver Canucks fans. A power play featuring Quinn Hughes, Elias Pettersson, Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser, and Erik Karlsson.
"evolution"