2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Thu May 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Lennie Small hindered the rebuild

The Sedins did not
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Thu May 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:40 pm
As for superstars, I'd figure Edmonton would have shown you that 2-3 superstars and nobody else doesn't work.

But here I am getting all 'evidency' and 'examply' again, why do that when we can just trust our feelings? :mrgreen:
The Oilers have been rebuilding for what ... 10 years? and that's generous......... and Jim Benning's team after 2015 playoffs - is getting more points than Edmonton in 4ish years - And we are only getting better thanks to having the top 3 forwards, top dman and top goalie developing.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:09 pm

SKYO wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:47 pm
Diehard1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:40 pm
As for superstars, I'd figure Edmonton would have shown you that 2-3 superstars and nobody else doesn't work.

But here I am getting all 'evidency' and 'examply' again, why do that when we can just trust our feelings? :mrgreen:
The Oilers have been rebuilding for what ... 10 years? and that's generous......... and Jim Benning's team after 2015 playoffs - is getting more points than Edmonton in 4ish years - And we are only getting better thanks to having the top 3 forwards, top dman and top goalie developing.
Odd thinking - the Oilers has 103 points and were in the playoffs in 2017 and actually won a round. We haven’t been there since 2015, with a team largely inherited by Benning, and got swept. If anything would think their rebuild started after ours, and yep I’d agree it’s been a tire fire since then but we haven’t been much better.

We also beat Edmonton by 2 points and they had 3 more row than we did - not sure that’s something to crow about, winning more shootouts than they did.

As for the core, I’d take McDavid, Draisaitl, Nugent Hopkins over Petey, Brock and Bo any day of the week. There’s not much age difference overall and McDavid has 3 straight 100 point seasons before the age of 23 - he’s ridiculous, and Draisaitl just had a 105 point season. I’d take Quinn over Nurse but it’s not that far off, Nurse is a 24 year old dman coming off a 41 point season and Hughes has lots to prove even if he’s very talented.

Goalie we are way ahead I agree.

The rest of their roster is terrible, while ours is only mildly better. Our cap situation is much better but I’m not sure any team has a worse one than Edmonton given the results, and we’ve got lots of big contracts coming up.

Sadly the two teams aren’t that far off each other right now though I expect Holland to make a number of changes and likely take a step back this year before he takes a step forward. Chiarelli really screwed up their cap which is massive, it hamstrings them badly for the next few years. It’s a big reason why I want some help for Jimbo - hockey men aren’t typically these cap managers, definitely makes sense to have somebody to help out on that end and let Jimbo focus on the talent side.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Thu May 16, 2019 9:12 pm

SKYO wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 pm
The best championship teams move parts around their core, where Benning can now just start! After he did the hard work of living through the NMC/NTC vets / Sedins.

Let Benning have his years to command around his new core he drafted (Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser and Quinn Hughes, Horvat the last one of the Gillis era likely).
The unspeakable truth.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 pm

Canes now out - I wonder if Jimbo goes after a Ferland as Friedman said he would. He’s a good player but not the type of guy you want to overpay, so hopefully Jimbo doesn’t go crazy here.

If it does happen that would be fine, but let’s keep it under $5 million and under 5 years.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri May 17, 2019 1:14 am

I’d rather we develop our own Ferland type. The guy has a lot of wear on him and will command too much I fear. Maybe we can find somebody with one of those 6 round picks we have.
The only HW the Canucks need

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri May 17, 2019 6:16 am

Topper wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:12 pm
SKYO wrote:
The best championship teams move parts around their core, where Benning can now just start! After he did the hard work of living through the NMC/NTC vets / Sedins.

Let Benning have his years to command around his new core he drafted (Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser and Quinn Hughes, Horvat the last one of the Gillis era likely).
The unspeakable truth.
Another nail in the coffin for the “retool on the fly” narrative.

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Fri May 17, 2019 7:09 am

Diehard1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 pm
Canes now out - I wonder if Jimbo goes after a Ferland as Friedman said he would. He’s a good player but not the type of guy you want to overpay, so hopefully Jimbo doesn’t go crazy here.

If it does happen that would be fine, but let’s keep it under $5 million and under 5 years.
Cake and eat it to

Want Ferland but don’t pay him what he’s going get at auction with 30 other GMs bidding
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Fri May 17, 2019 7:14 am

Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote:

The unspeakable truth.
I agree Topper. SKYO is slaying it lately!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Fri May 17, 2019 7:18 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:14 am
Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote:

The unspeakable truth.
Yeah he’s really crushing it. :lol:

He’s like Tina Turner going up against Ike

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:18 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:14 am
Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote:

The unspeakable truth.
Yeah he’s really crushing it. :lol:

He’s like Tina Turner going up against Ike
Didn’t Tina end up a gold platinum selling artist making millions of dollars after booting Ike roadside?

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 am

I was talking about the fact that Ike used to punch the piss out of her.

Ok SKYO is Dana Murzyn..,, his adversaries are Shane Corson and Dave Manson

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Fri May 17, 2019 7:30 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 am

I thought you meant he was singing duets with Bryan Adams.

Getting punched out by Ike is trivial in comparison.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Fri May 17, 2019 7:32 am

Topper wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:30 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:23 am

I thought you meant he was singing duets with Bryan Adams
Yikes. B Adams is horrendous now. These are no longer the salad days of the 80s for him. Cuts like a Butter Knife now

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 am

After Tina was ruling the billboards of the 80’s without Ike, Ike was Rollin on the river no more