2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So is next year Ollies last stab at a canucks roster spot? The year after?

When does the carriage become a pumpkin?
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:45 pm So is next year Ollies last stab at a canucks roster spot? The year after?

Well I think we all have to wait to see what he does once he gets to the NHL. Now if he never makes the NHL then it’s fair to say bust. But let’s at least give the kid a chance to play in the show. How long do we wait. I dunno. I’d say give it 2-3 years and then let’s call it.
The only HW the Canucks need
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:43 pm
vic wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm
Juolevi would have been a bottom pairing defenceman in Calgary playing with a strong D core. Guys like Brodie, Girodano and Hamilton. A good set of mentors there.

Tkachuk would have been playing on a line with Megna and Chaput had Benning drafted him vs Gaudreau and Monhan or Backlund and Frolik in Calgary.

Flames had missed the playoffs 6 of their last 7 years when they drafted Tkachuk, they had already built a core for him to slide into which set him up for success right out of the gate.
Juolevi cracks a stacked flames D but can’t make the Canucks out of camp? I don’t think so. He’d be behind Anderson and Kylington.

And Tkachuck might’ve broken camp with those guys, but he would’ve been playing with Horvat by about Christmas.
People need to stop comparing the player drafted and look at the team that drafted said player and where they were in their rebuild.
This seems to argue for drafting by need, I prefer to go BPA.
By the end of the year, Horvat was on the bench late in games, he was the teams leading scorer and Willie had him on the bench when the goalie was pulled.

Jake Virtanen couldn't crack Willie's clipboard, Tkachuk wasn't getting in either.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Pouliot released.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:39 pm Pouliot released.
Oh no, we get nothing for the asset. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I love that Benning isn't afraid to walk away with nothing. A disaster would be to qualify him. I wish him well.
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Must have been tuff for Greener to let go of his boy. Guess we won't be slamming the Pooalot anymore. :P
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:35 pm

Seriously, I love that Benning isn't afraid to walk away with nothing. A disaster would be to qualify him. I wish him well.
What will we Woo without him?
"evolution"
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

vic wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:23 pm Jake Virtanen couldn't crack Willie's clipboard, Tkachuk wasn't getting in either.
Tkachuck is the better player, and has been since he entered the league.

If “ifs” and “buts”... Since we’re operating in pure fantasy, maybe Tkachuk, not having to play second fiddle to anyone, is even better in Vancouver. Maybe he comes in and is the perfect line mate for the twins, extending their careers a couple years. We just don’t know.

We do know who most had ranked higher at the draft, and we know why Benning might have picked the way he did (already having the aforementioned Virtanen). There’s no shame in being wrong, but I could do without the excuses.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:45 pm So is next year Ollies last stab at a canucks roster spot? The year after?

Unless we re-up Edler and add another player in free agency, you’d have to think next year is his last shot. The Canucks D is fairly poor depth-wise. If he’s not on the team come October, I see Benning trying to move him for another prospect that’s failed to launch.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Drafted 8th overall - WHL Defenceman of the Year

Bouchard - Drafted 10th overall OHL Defenceman of the Year

“Olli will be a player!” - Jason Botchford
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Jimbo getting praised for walking away from a horrible player he acquired for a pick and a prospect seems odd to me, but I do agree it’s way last time to move on from Pouliot. Kid has zero head for the game, good riddance.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:38 am

Jimbo getting praised for walking away from a horrible player he acquired for a pick and a prospect seems odd to me, but I do agree it’s way last time to move on from Pouliot. Kid has zero head for the game, good riddance.
Hey at least it wasn’t a 2nd round pick and a Connauton for a 1 month rental
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

IMac reporting Jimbo will be ‘aggressive’ on July 1st. Why not, after all deals for Loui, Beagle, Schaller, Del Zotto, Gagner, and Nilsson sure worked out right? I guess 65 games of Roussel was decent though so 1 for 7 is a good batting average.

In fairness the article also states Jimbo may look at trades rather than free agency, so he’s looking at all options.

Put the cheque book away Jimbo, this team can’t afford any more terrible free agent contracts with deals for Petey, Hughes, Brock, coming up with Loui, Beagle, Sutter still on the books when those deals need to be signed. Add in a new deal for Edler, one for Markstrom, one for Hutton and a few others depending on who they keep longer term and it’s going to get tight quickly.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 am with deals for Petey, Hughes, Brock, coming up
Thank the heavens we drafted Virtanen instead of overpaid lame-ohs like Mason Ehlers and Mason Nylander

Sutters contract becomes modified in July (15 no team trade list). He’s still young and only two years left on contract. Only $9 million owed to Eriksson, he’s not a tall order to trade as some would think, may have to be a package deal, would you - the rights to Tryamkin and Eriksson or Goldobin and Eriksson to Washington for Burakowsky? Beagle is good and Roussel is good. Whatevs to Schaller, Gagner, Nilsson (got us a 7th pick and an opening for Demko)

Del Zotto got us Schenn - WIN!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 am
Diehard1 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 am with deals for Petey, Hughes, Brock, coming up
Thank the heavens we drafted Virtanen instead of overpaid lame-ohs like Mason Ehlers and Mason Nylander

Sutters contract becomes modified in July (15 no team trade list). He’s still young and only two years left on contract. Only $9 million owed to Eriksson, he’s not a tall order to trade as some would think, may have to be a package deal, would you - the rights to Tryamkin and Eriksson or Goldobin and Eriksson to Washington for Burakowsky? Beagle is good and Roussel is good. Whatevs to Schaller, Gagner, Nilsson (got us a 7th pick and an opening for Demko)

Del Zotto got us Schenn - WIN!
It is all Gillis's fault.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:26 am
Unless we re-up Edler and add another player in free agency, you’d have to think next year is his last shot. The Canucks D is fairly poor depth-wise. If he’s not on the team come October, I see Benning trying to move him for another prospect that’s failed to launch.
When you are drafted at the spot OJ was drafted you would expect by now he would be in the NHL. If he does not show significant improvement in the next season then one would have to assume he is a bust.

As I previously stated, unless he surprises everyone in camp he will start in Utica, get his feet under him and when Tanev goes down at the 20 game mark he can be the first call up. Then it is up to Green to properly work him into the lineup.