2019 offseason

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

micky107
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 offseason

Post by micky107 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:46 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 am
After Tina was ruling the billboards of the 80’s without Ike, Ike was Rollin on the river no more
Bryan was messed up after Diana.
"evolution"

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ESQ » Fri May 17, 2019 11:07 am

Diehard1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 pm
Canes now out - I wonder if Jimbo goes after a Ferland as Friedman said he would. He’s a good player but not the type of guy you want to overpay, so hopefully Jimbo doesn’t go crazy here.

If it does happen that would be fine, but let’s keep it under $5 million and under 5 years.
I wouldn't pay more than Beagle-money for Ferland. Beagle is making league-average money, for 3 more years.

I certainly wouldn't commit term for a player like Ferland. He's Dave Bolland 2.0. He can be very helpful in the short-term, but he's a ticking time bomb.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 am

I wouldn't pay much for Ferlund, $4M tops x 4 max, if he doesn't accept that he can go get overpaid somewhere else.
I'd pay more for Brock Nelson though, not as gritty as Ferlund, but still a big fella who can pop in 20ish goals, play wing/center.
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:18 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:14 am
Topper wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:12 pm
SKYO wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:36 pm
The best championship teams move parts around their core, where Benning can now just start! After he did the hard work of living through the NMC/NTC vets / Sedins.

Let Benning have his years to command around his new core he drafted (Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser and Quinn Hughes, Horvat the last one of the Gillis era likely).
The unspeakable truth.
I agree Topper. SKYO is slaying it lately!
Yeah he’s really crushing it. :lol:

He’s like Tina Turner going up against Ike

Ya'll crazy yo!
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:28 pm

SKYO wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 am
I wouldn't pay much for Ferlund, $4M tops x 4 max, if he doesn't accept that he can go get overpaid somewhere else.
I'd pay more for Brock Nelson though, not as gritty as Ferlund, but still a big fella who can pop in 20ish goals, play wing/center.
Agree with that. Better number and just 2 or 3 games away from an iron man streak.
Real steady and might not have seen the best yet. Definitely peaking....
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=127790
"evolution"

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Fri May 17, 2019 12:37 pm

Ike did some of his best music in the 2000's.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri May 17, 2019 12:44 pm

ESQ wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:07 am
Diehard1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 pm
Canes now out - I wonder if Jimbo goes after a Ferland as Friedman said he would. He’s a good player but not the type of guy you want to overpay, so hopefully Jimbo doesn’t go crazy here.

If it does happen that would be fine, but let’s keep it under $5 million and under 5 years.
I wouldn't pay more than Beagle-money for Ferland. Beagle is making league-average money, for 3 more years.

I certainly wouldn't commit term for a player like Ferland. He's Dave Bolland 2.0. He can be very helpful in the short-term, but he's a ticking time bomb.
I wouldn’t pay Beagle- Beagle money. Could have gotten a much better player on lesser dollars and term in Filpulla
“SUTTER IS AS GOOD AS COUTURIER”

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri May 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:36 pm
Never said the Vrbata signing was a bad one, just that it wasn't good like you said. Average is how I would term it, and I think that's being generous
Wutevs, the only reason we're talking about him is that you left him off your UFA scorecard...

Diehard1 wrote:
Never said you shouldn't sign players who play hard (Roussel), just that every signing didn't need to be a Jimbo special - culture carrier who is good in the room!
You didn't mention "culture carrier" you only said:

"I mean who could have predicted that a small guy who plays like he does would get injured right?"

And you said that in the context of good/bad UFA signings.

Seems odd no?

Wutevs, the only reason we're talking about him is because we were discussing your UFA scorecard...

Diehard1 wrote:
Don't worry, I won't mention his trades as I know we have to keep things separate ;)
Wutevs, you and I were discussing your UFA scorecard then you oddly mixed in JUST TWO of his re-signings

... seemed like a lame-ass moving of the goalposts/clouding the issue attempt on your part.

Diehard1 wrote:
Again, Del Zotto was hot garbage his whole time here.
Again, Del Zotto was fine in his first season here.

Again, the signing also resulted in us getting Schenn.

Again, this contract did not hurt your Vancouver Canucks.

Diehard1 wrote:
Schenn was in the minors on a terrible team and played 18 games here. Let's slow our roll on saying how great a trade that was shall we?
I didn't say it was a great trade.

I was just pointing out that the MDZ signing didn't hurt your Vancouver Canucks.

Diehard1 wrote:
Using the cap to your advantage isn't overpaying on 1 year deals - it's taking on crappy deals from other teams and gaining extra assets for doing so. I know that's always been difficult for you to understand. Why do you need to sign crappy players at all, even if it's on a 1 year deal?
Again, those 5 players were signed to minimum or near minimum salary one-year contracts

... and they performed to that level.

Jimmy needed to fill out the roster.

Teams do not "give you extra assets" for taking on minimum salary one-year contracts :crazy:

... they "give you extra assets" for taking on boat anchor contracts.

You were completely out to lunch in saying those signings were a waste of money.

You said sarcastically to yours truly: "Not your money after all, and who cares about the cap". :eh:

Seriously, you talk crazy talk, mumbo jumbo.

The only reason we're talking about these 5 is that you left them off your UFA scorecard...

Diehard1 wrote:
You are saying the Baerstchi deal was a good one? I prefer more than 26 games and 14 points for $3.6 million but you obviously set your sights lower (obviously!). Of course he played 69, 68 and 53 games the 3 seasons before that so how could anyone have predicted he was injury prone? :D
At the time it was signed, Baertschi had not yet done the "26 games and 14 points" thing.

At the time, that was a great signing for a guy who scores at that pace and plays "69, 68 and 53 games".

(less than the NHL average salary)

But of course YOU knew he would end up playing a fraction of his normal # of games.

(you being a prophet and all) :wink:

Diehard1 wrote:
Re: UFA versus RFA signings - I forgot that you like to keep everything separate, I just figure you should probably look at all avenues of team building but I get that your narrative is easier your way ;)
Hey man, I entered the conversation to point out the discrepancies + omissions in your UFA signing scorecard.

You were getting murdered in that debate and so you threw in JUST TWO of Jimmy's many re-signings.

Call it what you like, moving the goalposts, clouding the issue, whatever.

It didn't work. :sly:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Fri May 17, 2019 12:55 pm

Diehard1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:37 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:15 pm
Diehard1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:30 pm
Jimbo's issue has never been paying the stars and top line guys of the team, it's been overpaying for character, good in the room and leadership - he's done that every offseason he's been here.
That is not "an issue" during a rebuild, it's a sound philosophy.
Can't argue with success right? :D
It is a successful rebuild thus far.

You yourself keep going on about the young superstars added thus far.

You don't climb in standings until the rebuild nears completion by the way...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat May 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Eric Francis trolling for clickbait by suggesting the Canucks offer sheet Sam Bennet
As per the CBA, any player scooped in an offer sheet deal for between $1.82 million to $3.65 million would come at an additional cost of a mere second-round draft pick.

Not a steep price to pay for a former first-rounder with a significant upside, feistiness, versatility, and a history of playoff peaking.
I'd be very wary of tossing out offer sheets, knowing the names we'll have to re-up over the coming seasons.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:46 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:36 pm
Eric Francis trolling for clickbait by suggesting the Canucks offer sheet Sam Bennet
As per the CBA, any player scooped in an offer sheet deal for between $1.82 million to $3.65 million would come at an additional cost of a mere second-round draft pick.

Not a steep price to pay for a former first-rounder with a significant upside, feistiness, versatility, and a history of playoff peaking.
I'd be very wary of tossing out offer sheets, knowing the names we'll have to re-up over the coming seasons.
Ya, trolling for sure. I don't see anything to indicate a big break-out. Never know but meh.
Decent fighter;
https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/18548/videos
Normally I'd put up Drop-Your_Gloves, but it dont work.
"evolution"

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sat May 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 12:36 pm

Lmao, the guy is using the 2016 offer-sheet compensation table! :lol:

AHEM:

And no one in the comment section seems to notice.

I swear the global IQ is falling daily, devolution?

Morons.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sat May 25, 2019 3:44 pm

^ Further on dat dere was FriedMan today in his 31 Thoughts saying:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31- ... -penguins/

"One way Vegas can ease its cap crunch is by moving the final season of David Clarkson’s contract. The hit is $5.25 million, but it is $3.25 million of actual cash. The Golden Knights will try. Another move is expected on defence."

In reality, the "actual cash" is just 20% of $3.25 million because, as widely reported, the contract is insured.

(and note his wonderful grammar) :roll:

Morons.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat May 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Dude would lose his shart if Elmer offer sheeted Bennett

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Sat May 25, 2019 7:07 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:44 pm
You’d be happy as shart if Jimbro sheeted Bennett terrible stache
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat May 25, 2019 7:14 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:07 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:44 pm
You’d be happy as shart if Jimbro sheeted Bennett terrible stache
I’d rather roll the dice on a 2nd for him (among other assets) than Sutter, Gudbranson or Vey