What to do with Alex Edler ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

theman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by theman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pm

Meds wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:14 pm
theman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:02 pm
I am coming around to re-signing him, assuming he will take a bit of a home town discount. The 2 year deal mentioned above is good enough for me.

That also means you have to trade Tanev, Sutter and the garbage at this TDL to get picks and prospects back. I am assuming we are realistically out of it by then.
If he accepts a trade and re-sign offer, I think he passes on a hometown discount as waiving his current NTC is enough of a show of appreciation.

Asking him to do this is one thing, applying any pressure to make it happen all but guarantees that any kind of trade protection in a possible future contract means a helluvalot less in terms of monetary savings value come negotiation.
I would accept that too. Just don't get the feel he would go for it. IMO, we have two other tradeable assets that could fetch us a good return right now: Tanev and Sutter. 1 of Tanev and Edler should go. Also, I would trade Sutter as Gaudette is building to fill in his roll and Beagle can do it in a pinch too.

Shit just checked: Sutter has two more years on his deal!

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 12487
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by RoyalDude » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Fans and media in Vancouver really need to reel in the Alexander Edler trade hysteria. Are you listening? Alex Edler does not want to leave Vancouver, he wants to re-sign here, this is his home, he wants to live out the rest of his days here with his local wife, he has no interest in going to another team, but most importantly - HE HOLDS THE CARDS! Thank you to Gillis once again. So be done with it, I'm tired of listening to it.

Sutter is who we should be talking about trading, you won't get an Edler or Tanev return, but playoff teams are always looking for Centre depth, plus Gaudette is ready, love Beags on the 4th line. We have shit depth on D and Tanev and Edler are good for this new core moving forward. Especially with young D coming in to mentor - Hughes, Juolevi and Woo.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

theman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by theman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Sutter I would think would get us a surprising return, probably a high pick and good prospect. A team that feels they need a little more depth for a deep playoff run would overpay to get him, all we would have to do is probably take back some bad salary to make it work.

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:25 pm
Location: New Westminster

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 pm
Sutter is who we should be talking about trading
I agree. (I'm always a little freaked out when that happens.)

I mention it to show that I am not reflexively anti-Dude.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 18152
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:16 pm
Hey Doc a question:

Do expiring NMC have to be protected.
No, no UFAs need be protected.

Hockey Widow wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:16 pm
If not we could give him another 2 year fully protected no?
Yup, we could... might bring the AAV down right?
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 18152
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:35 pm

RoyalDude wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 pm
Sutter is who we should be talking about trading, you won't get an Edler or Tanev return, but playoff teams are always looking for Centre depth, plus Gaudette is ready, love Beags on the 4th line. We have shit depth on D and Tanev and Edler are good for this new core moving forward. Especially with young D coming in to mentor - Hughes, Juolevi and Woo.
Great post, your thoughts Reefer?

We could retain on salary to boost the return on Sutter.

Contenders are always concerned about cap amirite?

Imagine Sutter's worth with a mere $2.2M cap hit.

With Eli, Bo, Gaudette, Beagle we'd be good...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4093
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:35 pm
RoyalDude wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 pm
Sutter is who we should be talking about trading, you won't get an Edler or Tanev return, but playoff teams are always looking for Centre depth, plus Gaudette is ready, love Beags on the 4th line. We have shit depth on D and Tanev and Edler are good for this new core moving forward. Especially with young D coming in to mentor - Hughes, Juolevi and Woo.
Great post, your thoughts Reefer?

We could retain on salary to boost the return on Sutter.

Contenders are always concerned about cap amirite?

Imagine Sutter's worth with a mere $2.2M cap hit.

With Eli, Bo, Gaudette, Beagle we'd be good...
Well, actually I think we need to keep Edler.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 5329
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by micky107 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 am

theman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:59 pm
Sutter I would think would get us a surprising return, probably a high pick and good prospect. A team that feels they need a little more depth for a deep playoff run would overpay to get him, all we would have to do is probably take back some bad salary to make it work.
Great, if he'd agree. He might. No harm in asking. I don't buy the theory that an organization that asks a player if he will waive his clause
will give said org. a bad rep.
FTR. Sutter is full NTC till July, then MTC (15 teams he can turn down) for the remaining 2 years.
"evolution"

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12030
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:18 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 pm
Fans and media in Vancouver really need to reel in the Alexander Edler trade hysteria. Are you listening? Alex Edler does not want to leave Vancouver, he wants to re-sign here, this is his home, he wants to live out the rest of his days here with his local wife, he has no interest in going to another team, but most importantly - HE HOLDS THE CARDS! Thank you to Gillis once again. So be done with it, I'm tired of listening to it.

Sutter is who we should be talking about trading, you won't get an Edler or Tanev return, but playoff teams are always looking for Centre depth, plus Gaudette is ready, love Beags on the 4th line. We have shit depth on D and Tanev and Edler are good for this new core moving forward. Especially with young D coming in to mentor - Hughes, Juolevi and Woo.
What the hell does Gillis have to do with anything?

Get a grip... or better yet get a life
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12030
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:22 am

Strangelove wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:55 pm
Meds wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm
I like Blob's version

...

You simply extend him at the $16M over 3 years.
If we did that we'd be forced to use a protection spot on him in the expansion draft...
So what. As of today they don’t have a decent d man worth protecting when you factor in age, talent and durability. They won’t be losing a Nate Schmidt quality player
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 12487
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:18 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 pm
Fans and media in Vancouver really need to reel in the Alexander Edler trade hysteria. Are you listening? Alex Edler does not want to leave Vancouver, he wants to re-sign here, this is his home, he wants to live out the rest of his days here with his local wife, he has no interest in going to another team, but most importantly - HE HOLDS THE CARDS! Thank you to Gillis once again. So be done with it, I'm tired of listening to it.

Sutter is who we should be talking about trading, you won't get an Edler or Tanev return, but playoff teams are always looking for Centre depth, plus Gaudette is ready, love Beags on the 4th line. We have shit depth on D and Tanev and Edler are good for this new core moving forward. Especially with young D coming in to mentor - Hughes, Juolevi and Woo.
What the hell does Gillis have to do with anything?

Get a grip... or better yet get a life
Stop protecting your fallen angel - Gillis, he gifted Edler his NTC before the start of 2013–14 season. He also gave NTC’s to the likes of Higgins and took on shitty contracts - Buyout Booth and Ballard gave $30 million to Mr Relaxation Garrison and offered Old man no knees Sundin a 2 year $20 million contract. He also put the C on Roberto “my contract sucks” Luongo and couldn’t trade him to save his life. Kesler also fucked a return on him thanks to another NTC, your fallen hero “fire Gillis” cried Rogers Arena
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12030
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:17 am

What do Ballard, Booth, Garrison etc have to do with Edler?

Edler signed a sweetheart deal and rightfully got an NTC
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 12487
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by RoyalDude » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:17 am
What do Ballard, Booth, Garrison etc have to do with Edler?

Edler signed a sweetheart deal and rightfully got an NTC
You and Meds have been tearing Edler a new one since the day Gillis gave him that NTC

2nd and a 3rd for Steve Bernier
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12030
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:17 am
What do Ballard, Booth, Garrison etc have to do with Edler?

Edler signed a sweetheart deal and rightfully got an NTC
You and Meds have been tearing Edler a new one since the day Gillis gave him that NTC

2nd and a 3rd for Steve Bernier
I never complained about Edler’s contract.

Are you able to provide proof?


What does Steve Bernier have to do with Alex Edler?
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2286
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Todd Bersnoozi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:41 am

Show Edler and the fans who's boss, trade him for a bag of pucks. :P

Post Reply