What to do with Alex Edler ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Tciso »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 pm I would resign Edler to a series of 1 year contracts. He can have full NMC in any year except 20/21. (I don't want to have to protect him). Tell him up front you are overpaying him, and give him 6 or 7 million next year to prove it. (Wtf, it ain't my money). Then later, after we have signed Boeser, Pete and we know how the Luongo contract ends, we can pay him less.

Edler makes the same amount, we control the term, team is protected against expansion and we have a slight bit of room for cap flexibility.

When he no longer has a place on the team, stop giving him contracts.
That is very similar to how Bertuzzi's career ended. A series of one and 2 year contracts. If Edler agrees, it works very well for everyone. But, it relies on him trusting GMJB to keep his word (and his job). However, if Edler is serious about wanting to stay a Canuck, then this gets real easy. If he is just flexing his contract muscles, he likely won't re-sign this summer.

But, I wouldn't lose sleep over our D next year if it looks like this...

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Hughes
Joulevi-Stetcher
Goober-Biega
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

2019/20 defense goal should be:

Edler - (NEW QB)
Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi/Hutton - Gudbranson

Brisebois-Biega/Chatfield
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Hutton has really hit his stride this year. Playing his best hockey as a durable dman with some dangles. Will fight i suspect and making smarter and smarter plays these days. If I'm the canucks I'm hanging onto him a little longer.

I can see Tanev being traded though as i bet that little geek in toronto will pony up if benning can bend him over far enough...Liljigren and their 1st?

Eddie should be signed and retire a canuck after a series of team friendly loyalty discounted contracts.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 pm Hutton has really hit his stride this year. Playing his best hockey as a durable dman with some dangles. Will fight i suspect and making smarter and smarter plays these days. If I'm the canucks I'm hanging onto him a little longer.

I can see Tanev being traded though as i bet that little geek in toronto will pony up if benning can bend him over far enough...Liljigren and their 1st?

Eddie should be signed and retire a canuck after a series of team friendly loyalty discounted contracts.
Yeah 6'2 207lbs Ben Hutton finally has come around after a few years, TG/Baumer whipped him into tip top shape, now he has his mojo back he had as a high flying rookie where he scored 25pts.

Huts is currently on pace for 27 pts, 7 goals and 20 assists & that's with 2nd unit powerplay time. :thumbs:
I'm guessing other teams interested his services now.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

SKYO wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:05 pm
Yeah 6'2 207lbs Ben Hutton finally has come around after a few years, TG/Baumer whipped him into tip top shape, now he has his mojo back he had as a high flying rookie where he scored 25pts.

Huts is currently on pace for 27 pts, 7 goals and 20 assists & that's with 2nd unit powerplay time. :thumbs:
.... are you saying to trade him?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 am

Nay, but Ben Hutton's value is way up compared to last year, keep him unless - like all players - a team comes around with a good offer.
After Edler, Hutton is the now the next best Left Side D who is at a good age, good contract, a big boy who can be a solid 30pt producer onwards, and could have a career year in the next 5-7 years (40ish points)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Listening to Bob Stauffer not long ago talking about when the coil traded Petry and how hes what they need now he also mentioned that theres apparently a rule of thumb that you dont trade defenseman until theyve played 300 NHL games. Ive never heard this before. Anyone?
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:12 pm Your next good point will be your first.

Once upon a time you actually talked hockey.

Many years ago

Now you’re a trod. A Wee Trod :mex:
What is a trod?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

damonberryman wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:34 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:12 pm Your next good point will be your first.

Once upon a time you actually talked hockey.

Many years ago

Now you’re a trod. A Wee Trod :mex:
What is a trod?
Past tense of tread... :mex:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Tciso wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:24 am But, I wouldn't lose sleep over our D next year if it looks like this...

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Hughes
Joulevi-Stetcher
Goober-Biega
SKYO wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 pm 2019/20 defense goal should be:

Edler - (NEW QB)
Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi/Hutton - Gudbranson

Brisebois-Biega/Chatfield
Edler - Gudbranson
Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Tryamkin
UFA - Biega

Trade Smiley in the summer (he'll be 26) while his value is high, trade Trojan as well. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:12 pm Listening to Bob Stauffer not long ago talking about when the coil traded Petry and how hes what they need now he also mentioned that theres apparently a rule of thumb that you dont trade defenseman until theyve played 300 NHL games. Ive never heard this before. Anyone?
Well if he stays healthy, Party Boy Hutton will be at 287 this summer... close enough! :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:13 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 am

Nay, but Ben Hutton's value is way up compared to last year, keep him unless - like all players - a team comes around with a good offer.
After Edler, Hutton is the now the next best Left Side D who is at a good age, good contract, a big boy who can be a solid 30pt producer onwards, and could have a career year in the next 5-7 years (40ish points)
Hutton looks liberated since they yanked 44 off his pairing. I’m not the biggest Stecher fan but he moves the puck a LOT better than 44. I’d keep Hutton unless someone blows your doors off. He’s still young and he’s the team third best d man for the foreseeable future.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I'm saying it now about Stretcher...he's figuring it out. I didnt expect to see this kind of maturation and am pleased to have been wrong. I think there's a half decent player in that little frame after all
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:06 pm I'm saying it now about Stretcher...he's figuring it out. I didnt expect to see this kind of maturation and am pleased to have been wrong. I think there's a half decent player in that little frame after all
The thing Stetcher has going for him is he is a righty. We don't have a lot of RH prospects other than Woo who is a few years away. Sure given Woo's status, junior or the Canucks, he may make the team next year but I won't hold my breath. Stetcher will have a longer leash because of this.
The only HW the Canucks need
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 pm I can see Tanev being traded though as i bet that little geek in toronto will pony up if benning can bend him over far enough...Liljigren and their 1st?
If Benning gets that for Tanev, I'd have to take a look at boarding the genius train myself.
(I could say all the previous problems were before he had begun to realize his true potential.)