What to do with Alex Edler ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Mickey107 »

It's actually a big decision for this franchise. There is no doubt in my mind, if he agreed to waive his clause and we are no longer
in a realistic position to make the playoffs, he could fetch a reasonably nifty return.

Well, I didn't think two years ago I would have said this but regardless of our position, I would like to see the team move forward With him
as opposed to without him.

His fitness and overall durability seems better and steady.
He loves the team and the city and thinks he can be part of this new core of players at a high level of play, or so it's been reported.
He is a quiet leader but a leader non the less.

Unless I'm misreading my Edlers, I think he would sign a three year at about 5.25. I think his agent may ask for four at 6, but doubt the team
does that.

This Edler talk is really heating up around Canuckland and a main contributor to that is David Pratt !
Now I know he use to be here and I am wondering challenging him to come on over and put his 2 cents worth in. Dare ya...
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: What to do with Alex Edler ?

Post by Strangelove »

The answer seems obvious: Re-sign Edler to a 2-year extension @ $5.5M per with a modified NTC.

He won't require protection in the expansion draft, and we revisit the situation in 2021.
____
Try to focus on someday.
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Agree with you Mick that it's better to keep Edler at this point, though I would say no more than 3x5. With Pettersson leading the team it's quite possible that Edler and Tanev will both be around when we start pushing in the playoffs, so it doesn't make sense to trade players that are not surplus to requirements.

The whole trade and then resign him in the summer idea seems a bit far-fetched. I'm guessing is that we'll see a Hamhuis type situation again except Edler will resign with the team, either before or after he hits FA.

Edit: Good point Strange!
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Rip the bandaid off.

If he wants to stay but won’t wavie his NTC, offer him two years at 4.5 annually without trade protection. That offer wouldn’t change come July 1.

If he’s willing to waive and give Ignitowski a three or four team list and they work out a good deal; there’s a three year deal worth 16 million with a NMC on July 1.’

Try and use some leverage. If he doesn’t blink, I’m fine seeing him back at 4.5 - 5 million per for two years.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:35 pm If he’s willing to waive and give Ignitowski a three or four team list and they work out a good deal; there’s a three year deal worth 16 million with a NMC on July 1.’
If we did that we'd be forced to use a protection spot on him in the expansion draft...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Have the conversation with him.....I like Blob's version.

BUT.....

If we are in a wildcard spot at the deadline then you don't trade him. You simply extend him at the $16M over 3 years.

We aren't at a point where we are a team that could consistently challenge for a playoff spot, but we are at a spot where the experience of even a 4 and out in the first round are worth way more to the youngsters, and ultimately the team, than any picks we'd get back for Edler as a rental.

But don't be a buyer, and don't think we can get in if we are sitting more than 4 points out.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mëds wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:49 pm I like Blob's version

You simply extend him at the $16M over 3 years.
If we did that we'd be forced to use a protection spot on him in the expansion draft...
____
Try to focus on someday.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

If they are still a few points out come TDD, and trade him, they are giving up on the season - not a very good msg to send to the young kids. You've played your hearts out, are within a sniff of the post season and we're going to make you wait another year before you can join the dance.

If they are out of it - i.e. 6-10 points and having to jump at least two other teams then approach him to accept a trade and promise to bring him back in the off season (if he still wants to return) and honor that promise - will go a long way for future UFAs to see the team honors their word. I don't know what the rules are, but maybe that off season contract can be worked out in principle before the trade.

Any future contract should expire before the expansion draft - if he's still playing at a high enough level go year-to-year with him moving forward.
micky107 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm His fitness and overall durability seems better and steady.
He loves the team and the city and thinks he can be part of this new core of players at a high level of play, or so it's been reported.
He is a quiet leader but a leader non the less.
Why a team wouldn't want this type of a player on their roster is beyond me.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

You don't risk alienating your best defenceman.

You explain the expansion draft situation to him and re-sign to a 2-year extension.

And remind him he'll be eligible for a 35+ contract when that one expires.

If it's an extra 1st round pick people want, there are other ways to get it...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:58 pm You don't risk alienating your best defenceman.

You explain the expansion draft situation to him and re-sign to a 2-year extension.

And remind him he'll be eligible for a 35+ contract when that one expires.

If it's an extra 1st round pick people want, there are other ways to get it...
Yup. I forgot about the expansion draft. 2 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:25 pm The answer seems obvious: Re-sign Edler to a 2-year extension @ $5.5M per with a modified NTC.

He won't require protection in the expansion draft, and we revisit the situation in 2021.
This would be fine. The ideal situation is letting him chase a cup with Tampa or Toronto, getting the Canucks a pick+prospect, and coming back as a UFA.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

I am coming around to re-signing him, assuming he will take a bit of a home town discount. The 2 year deal mentioned above is good enough for me.

That also means you have to trade Tanev, Sutter and the garbage at this TDL to get picks and prospects back. I am assuming we are realistically out of it by then.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

We will find out how badly he wants to be here I guess. But Doc has the best solution. 2 years at 5.5-6 M with a modified NTC. The first year can be a full NMC. 2nd year modified.

I’d love a first for him but even if he was willing to waive you know it would only be to one or two teams, those with highest odds to go very deep. So we’d be looking at perhaps pick 26-31. I’d rather have two more years of this seasons’s Edler given our lack of depth on D.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

theman wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:02 pm I am coming around to re-signing him, assuming he will take a bit of a home town discount. The 2 year deal mentioned above is good enough for me.

That also means you have to trade Tanev, Sutter and the garbage at this TDL to get picks and prospects back. I am assuming we are realistically out of it by then.
If he accepts a trade and re-sign offer, I think he passes on a hometown discount as waiving his current NTC is enough of a show of appreciation.

Asking him to do this is one thing, applying any pressure to make it happen all but guarantees that any kind of trade protection in a possible future contract means a helluvalot less in terms of monetary savings value come negotiation.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hey Doc a question:

Do expiring NMC have to be protected. If not we could give him another 2 year fully protected no?
The only HW the Canucks need