Injury Update 2018-19

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12030
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:31 pm
No Sutter before Christmas.
That stings. The pk has been lousy since he left and Horvat is getting beaten like a young Doc in a fist fight at Clark Park. I’m not naive enough to think he’d have swung the win/loss record more than a game or so, but he is a decent player and one of the few good defenders on the team
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:52 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:34 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:31 pm
No Sutter before Christmas.
That stings. The pk has been lousy since he left and Horvat is getting beaten like a young Doc in a fist fight at Clark Park. I’m not naive enough to think he’d have swung the win/loss record more than a game or so, but he is a decent player and one of the few good defenders on the team
Who hacked Blob’s account!
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12030
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:01 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:52 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:34 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:31 pm
No Sutter before Christmas.
That stings. The pk has been lousy since he left and Horvat is getting beaten like a young Doc in a fist fight at Clark Park. I’m not naive enough to think he’d have swung the win/loss record more than a game or so, but he is a decent player and one of the few good defenders on the team
Who hacked Blob’s account!
He’s still overpaid, the trade made little sense and he’s as brittle as Gudbranson or Tanev.

Hope he can keep his scrawny birdbones together enough to be worth something in a trade in the next year or so.
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 5329
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by micky107 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 am

Like I said on the other thread, I doubt this 20 to 30+ game per season absentee routine from Sutter is going to change.
Too bad because he has been a not bad role model, (when he's been there), since life without the Sedins. Too fragile now.
So is Tanev. Doesn't help increase either's value.
They can try and fast-track Guadette but like Pettersson, you have to learn the other centers in the league and that takes time.
Bo knows; Now. Took 3 years. His percentage is down from overuse. Sutter knows just about every guy he may line-up against, save a few newbies.
I get the feeling it doesn't bode well for Sutter having a long career. He wasn't always but now he's one that will take "ALL" the time he needs to
be 100%.
Actually, most players with any notoriety, don't play through pain at all anymore. Except, of course, in the PLAYOFFS.
Heavy sigh...... :cry:
"evolution"

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 5509
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by Uncle dans leg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 am

Pettersson has the same bird bone build.
nobody forks...with the jesus

theman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by theman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 am

1 big reason why I would like to see the Canucks trade Tanev is because of his injury history. As much as I like him, I think he could still bring back a good hull of players/prospects/picks. The longer we hold onto him the more we are killing his trade value IMO.

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 12030
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:32 am

theman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 am
1 big reason why I would like to see the Canucks trade Tanev is because of his injury history. As much as I like him, I think he could still bring back a good hull of players/prospects/picks. The longer we hold onto him the more we are killing his trade value IMO.
I think he’s actually more durable than Sutter and Gudbranson but your point stands
“SUTTER ISNT TOO FAR BEHIND WHAT HORVAT BRINGS TO THE TABLE”

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by Madcombinepilot » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:00 pm

theman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 am
1 big reason why I would like to see the Canucks trade Tanev is because of his injury history. As much as I like him, I think he could still bring back a good hull of players/prospects/picks. The longer we hold onto him the more we are killing his trade value IMO.
When our defence is in such dire straights, how do you justify trading one of the top 2 defencemen on the club, and what is your expected return for him?
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

theman
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 719
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by theman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Madcombinepilot wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:00 pm
theman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 am
1 big reason why I would like to see the Canucks trade Tanev is because of his injury history. As much as I like him, I think he could still bring back a good hull of players/prospects/picks. The longer we hold onto him the more we are killing his trade value IMO.
When our defence is in such dire straights, how do you justify trading one of the top 2 defencemen on the club, and what is your expected return for him?
Sell high on him. By the time we are ready to challenge, even for the playoffs, again he will be on the decline and has already shown a history of being injury prone. I would like to get a top D prospect and a regular NHL d man for him plus a high pick (1st or 2nd rounder). Something like that, depends on the actual players and picks involved. If we trade him, we are keeping Edler. While I would actually prefer to trade Edler and keep Tanev don't think we could do it due to Edler's NMC.

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by 5thhorseman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:18 pm

I feel for the Tan-man. Too young to really have an impact on the last Stanley Cup run, and too old for the next one.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 5329
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by micky107 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:00 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:18 pm
I feel for the Tan-man. Too young to really have an impact on the last Stanley Cup run, and too old for the next one.
True; Be a kicker if we traded him then picked him up at a fuuuuuture TD for insurance, (he'd be older 8-) ), then won it all.
"evolution"

User avatar
UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by UWSaint » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:30 am

5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:18 pm
I feel for the Tan-man. Too young to really have an impact on the last Stanley Cup run, and too old for the next one.
A defenseman's peak last until the early 30s, one report says 34 years old. (https://www.cbc.ca/news/when-nhl-player ... -1.2646054). That's 5 more years for Tanev -- and that is enough time to figure out whether this core is inadequate, playoff-capable-but-never-contenders (like the Wild), or Stanley Cup competitive.

As I see it, the existing group of defensemen is subpar (even if they were in the Easter Conference....) Removing Tanev and Edler is taking the best two off a subpar group and leaves you two more holes to fill. There are 3 legimitate NHL prospects in the pipeline (Hughes, Juolevi, and Woo), but one needs to arrive soon and another is likely 3 years away at a normal progression for the 2d round pick. One can move Tanev or Edler, but the math isn't good here and becomes a lot worse.
Hono_rary Canadian

User avatar
vic
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 957
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by vic » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm

5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:18 pm
I feel for the Tan-man. Too young to really have an impact on the last Stanley Cup run, and too old for the next one.
The team should be able to compete for a cup in 4-5 years which will make him 32/33 years old - that's not too old.

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 5509
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by Uncle dans leg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 pm

UWS bang on. I expect they resign eddy for a discount on a 3 or so year contract as soon as Brock is inked.

Hes our #1 still and until QH arrives he will be running our #1 PP unit and playing all the top assignments indefinitely
nobody forks...with the jesus

User avatar
5thhorseman
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Injury Update 2018-19

Post by 5thhorseman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:34 pm

vic wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:17 pm
5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:18 pm
I feel for the Tan-man. Too young to really have an impact on the last Stanley Cup run, and too old for the next one.
The team should be able to compete for a cup in 4-5 years which will make him 32/33 years old - that's not too old.
I sure hope so vic :)

Post Reply