Goaltending

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Re: Goaltending

Post by Carl Yagro »

Ryan Johnson just had some nice things to say about Juolevi. It's early, but if he continues on this track I can see him come up and forcing JB to sort out the left-side situation before Christmas.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 pm I don’t think there is any question that a better D would help tremendously. But a better D can’t defend against bad goals or bad first minute goals. The problem is both. But we need to fix the D first because no matter who we have in net we can’t be giving up all the shots we do, we can’t keep failing to clear the puck, we can’t keep getting caught running around for long stretches.

We don’t need five new D either. 1-2 bona fides top four would work wonders. This is of course assuming we keep the big three of Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson. If we trade any of them we need to somehow get a good D prospect back. I have faith that both Hughes and Juolevi will be top four. I have faith Trymankin will be back, especially if Goldobin is getting and keeps his top six role. Our D is porous because on any given night we struggle to have a reliable top four. We have plenty of 5-8 guys.
I listened to Gillis 1040 interview. Interesting point (other than the obvious 'give me an NHL job again') was his comments on the KHL, how it was slower, not as fit, and simply not as skilled as the NHL. Most players there cant crack an NHL lineup.

We would all be wise to temper our expectations regarding Tryamkin. (and I WANT him to return!!)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sekeres and Price have mentioned numerous times now that Nikita won’t be coming back. Take that for what it’s worth.

I just find it very telling that he couldn’t get out of here fast enough, basically on the first bird out of town.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hockey Widow wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 pm
We don’t need five new D either. 1-2 bona fides top four would work wonders.
Sure if you can add Drew Doughty and Alec Martinez we’d have a top 10 defence. Or say Erik Karlsson and Tyler Myers.

Thing is if Edler bolts they may need six new D men
:shock:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:21 pm
Sure if you can add Drew Doughty and Alec Martinez we’d have a top 10 defence. Or say Erik Karlsson and Tyler Myers.

All we need is the Preds, TBL or Caps defense.

PK Subban, Roman Josi, Ekholm and Ellis.

Hedman, McDonagh, Stralman and Sergachev.

Carlson, Orlov, Niskanen, Kempny.

NOPE we got a two-way stalwart Edler, (defensive dmen Tanev, Guddy) and a bunch of fringe dmen in Hutton, Stecher, MDZ, Pouliot.

All those dmen aforementioned have that one big dawg high scoring dman workhorse, which makes life easier for the rest of D, PK Subban, Hedman and John Carlson.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

After the hypothetical 2020 Seattle expansion draft:

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Tryamkin
Edler - Gudbranson
Brisebois - Chatfield

Hughes/Juolevi won't need to be protected.

If Edler is extended one year (as I expect) he won't need to be protected as an impending UFA

Then we re-sign Edler to a cheaper 2-year extension after the expansion draft.

(that's right Reefer2!) :twisted:

One of the depth guys Brisebois/Chatfield could be selected by Seattle, but no biggie.

Protect: Tanev (extended by then), Tryamkin (signed this summer), GODbranson.

:mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:51 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:21 pm

All we need is the Preds, TBL or Caps defense.

PK Subban, Roman Josi, Ekholm and Ellis.

Hedman, McDonagh, Stralman and Sergachev.

Carlson, Orlov, Niskanen, Kempny.

NOPE we got a two-way stalwart Edler, (defensive dmen Tanev, Guddy) and a bunch of fringe dmen in Hutton, Stecher, MDZ, Pouliot.

All those dmen aforementioned have that one big dawg high scoring dman workhorse, which makes life easier for the rest of D, PK Subban, Hedman and John Carlson.
44 is definitely fringe
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:51 pm After the hypothetical 2020 Seattle expansion draft:

Hughes - Tanev
Juolevi - Tryamkin
Edler - Gudbranson
Brisebois - Chatfield

Hughes/Juolevi won't need to be protected.

If Edler is extended one year (as I expect) he won't need to be protected as an impending UFA

Then we re-sign Edler to a cheaper 2-year extension after the expansion draft.

(that's right Reefer2!) :twisted:

One of the depth guys Brisebois/Chatfield could be selected by Seattle, but no biggie.

Protect Tanev (extended by then), Tryamkin (signed this summer), GODbranson.

:mrgreen:
Or just re up Edler and expose Gudbranson.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:52 pm 44 is definitely fringe
If you say it enough, will it be true? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

SKYO wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 am Ryan Miller had more solid game than those two
Yes, 4 years ago, Ryan Miller was a better goalie. He was paid accordingly. As Blob points out, he's too old to do that now. Besides, as I suggest below, maybe the Canucks don't want him to.
Mëds wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:44 pm ...Markstrom...is not going to be the guy this team builds in front of.
Of course he isn't. Hence:
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:31 am The goaltending is still a work in progress here which explains why Benning has drafted a number of goalies, seems to be a fan of drafting at least one in every draft.
Meanwhile, the stealth tank rolls on. Markstrom is good enough that the Canucks ownership/management group can plausibly pretend they are trying (and thereby avoid the ire of those around the League who abhor tanking), but not so good as to deny the Canucks a good draft pick next spring.

The team won't really turn the corner until one of the new goalies is ready, or the COMG decides that they won't be, and hires a good free agent.

For now, though, Markstrom's numbers still say he's at least an average NHL goaltender, i.e. one of the twenty best in the entire world. I suspect the fact that the last 3 goalies you saw a lot of were Luongo, Schneider, and Miller may be distorting your sense of what is reasonable to expect.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:06 pm For now, though, Markstrom's numbers still say he's at least an average NHL goaltender, i.e. one of the twenty best in the entire world. I suspect the fact that the last 3 goalies you saw a lot of were Luongo, Schneider, and Miller may be distorting your sense of what is reasonable to expect.
Some good points Ronning, having a wealth of goaltending talent in Canucks land the past while has definitely distorted my view on our recent goaltending performances, to go back to the Dan Cloutier/Garth Snow days is a bitter pill to swallow.

We've been spoiled in net ever since former GM Dave Nonis traded Bertuzzi for Luongo.

Patience for Demko/DiPietro it is.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:53 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:52 pm 44 is definitely fringe
If you say it enough, will it be true? :mex:
Search: Author=Strangelove and Keywords= +Benning +Genius
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Shoot me now = resigning Edler
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:06 pm For now, though, Markstrom's numbers still say he's at least an average NHL goaltender, i.e. one of the twenty best in the entire world. I suspect the fact that the last 3 goalies you saw a lot of were Luongo, Schneider, and Miller may be distorting your sense of what is reasonable to expect.
Exsactly.

And for all the crap Cloutier receives, I remember checking back in the day that his stats typically had him around 15th in the league, ie an average NHL starting goaltender.

Neither Cloutier, Markström or Nilsson is (or was) a Vezina candidate, but all three have shown themselves good enough to tend goal in the best hockey league there is, and do so at roughly the league average level.

Luongo, Schneider and Miller were better than that, but we cannot expect to always have one of the ten best goalies in a 30+ team league. It'd be nice to have it, but the question is if it would really be worth the extra cost and cap space during a rebuild.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Per wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 pm
Exsactly.

And for all the crap Cloutier receives, I remember checking back in the day that his stats typically had him around 15th in the league, ie an average NHL starting goaltender.

Neither Cloutier, Markström or Nilsson is (or was) a Vezina candidate, but all three have shown themselves good enough to tend goal in the best hockey league there is, and do so at roughly the league average level.

Luongo, Schneider and Miller were better than that, but we cannot expect to always have one of the ten best goalies in a 30+ team league. It'd be nice to have it, but the question is if it would really be worth the extra cost and cap space during a rebuild.
None of them let in so many first shot goals. Markstrom is a backup goalie capable of giving you 20-30 games a year.