Goaltending

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Goaltending

Post by Aaronp18 »

Rocky Dennis wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:12 am
Aaronp18 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:51 pmMarky is getting ventilated, if the same happens to Demko no one will bat an eye. If Demko has a little more success the pressure is on Markstrom
I respectfully have to disagree on that bolded point. This market, which i contend has one of the worst sports fan bases around, love to eat their own young. Just look what happened after two sub-par PRESEASON outings this year. You had large swathes of people saying that Demko sucked and was a bust. Look at the exodus off the Brock bandwagon after a slow start, an extremely common occurrence amongst sophomores.
Demko will, and deserves to, get some games this year but i for one won't be surprised if the fans unjustly turn hostile if/when he too gets lit up behind this team.
Ok, well, no one with some intelligence will bat an eye.

I'm of the mindset that this team needs to grow together, I would've rather Bo gotten the C now (but can live with the 4 As), lets see Demko up here for a regular back-up rotation at least. I'm tired of the Marky/Nilsson tandem, I can live with Demko's struggles because I've read up on his game and how he learns and adapts to each new challenge.

Everyone and their sister knows the D isn't helping anything right now!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Let’s face it, Markstrom isn’t a solid force back there, never will be. Makes for a good quality back up but is to unstable to be a starting goalie especially for a rebuilding team. The goaltending is still a work in progress here which explains why Benning has drafted a number of goalies, seems to be a fan of drafting at least one in every draft. Apparently this kid they drafted last year could be the best of the bunch.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:12 am Millers save pctg in his last two years was a cunt hair better than what Markstroms was last year. Don’t compare it to Millers first year here. That was a far better defensive team
Either way Markstrom and Nilsson have proven for years that they let in softy's EVERY game, they deflate the team almost every game, they will go down in Canucks history with the Dan Cloutiers and Garth Snows of the team.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:12 am Millers save pctg in his last two years was a cunt hair better than what Markstroms was last year. Don’t compare it to Millers first year here. That was a far better defensive team
Either way Markstrom and Nilsson have proven for years that they let in softy's EVERY game, they deflate the team almost every game, they will go down in Canucks history with the Dan Cloutiers and Garth Snows of the team.
So must have Miller then as his save pctg was similar to Markstroms
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:36 am
SKYO wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 am
So must have Miller then as his save pctg was similar to Markstroms
On a different question, contracts aside, you'd seriously take Markstrom over Miller? lol
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If their contracts were equal I’d probably take Miller. But the guy is 38. He’s done. You act like they were the salad days when he was here. The team still stunk! Either way this team needs five new D men and a goalie.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:53 am If their contracts were equal I’d probably take Miller. But the guy is 38. He’s done. You act like they were the salad days when he was here. The team still stunk! Either way this team needs five new D men and a goalie.
Well, I don't know about 5 D-men. The good news is we do have 2 solid D-man, and Demko/DiPietro in the system.

This year is gonna be inneresting, but we do have light at the end of the tunnel. If Demko was healthy, I'd like to see him up sooner than later if Markstrom/Nilsson continue to struggle.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:53 am If their contracts were equal I’d probably take Miller. But the guy is 38. He’s done. You act like they were the salad days when he was here. The team still stunk! Either way this team needs five new D men and a goalie.
Done next September

Tanev Hughes
Woo Juolevi
Stetcher Tryamkin
Gudbranson Sautner

Demko
Dipietro
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

4 Dmen would suffice.

Edler, Tanev, and Gudbranson are all NHL caliber guys. Even I have to admit that the former two are top 60 blueline guys in the league. Gudbranson is actually a good #4 guy with a reliable partner. He just hasn’t shown himself ready to be the anchor on a pairing.

If we aren’t trading Edler or Tanev then I would eye Juolevi mid season and give him a try on Tanev’s left side and reunite Gudbranson and Edler, they worked well together last year.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Brobovsky next year to hold the spot for dipietro, with demko backing him up. If demko proves he’s a starter we trade him for a return similar to jones to a team out east (I’m thinking Boston with tuuka rask starting to age now). I see demko needing at least a year as backup after this year.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Both Canuck goalies tend to fo well with the Swedish national team. They've both won gold at the World Championships.

But then look at the blue line Nilsson had in front of him last spring:

KLINGBERG John
EKHOLM Mattias
WIKSTRAND Mikael
LARSSON Adam
EKMAN-LARSSON Oliver
LINDHOLM Hampus
GUSTAFSSON Erik

The main problem is the crappy blue line.
Both goalies have shown they can do well when playing behind competent d-men.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 pm Both Canuck goalies tend to fo well with the Swedish national team. They've both won gold at the World Championships.

KLINGBERG John
EKHOLM Mattias
WIKSTRAND Mikael
LARSSON Adam
EKMAN-LARSSON Oliver
LINDHOLM Hampus
GUSTAFSSON Erik

As long as Markstrom is surrendering very stoppable pucks in the opening minutes and on the first 1-3 shots, he is not going to be the guy this team builds in front of.

In Carolina that first goal was all him. He made a stupid read on the initial shoot in and played it to the corner where his D had no room and it caused the turnover. Then he lets a lob in from the blueline. The whole team just deflates.

His problems aren’t just stopping pucks. It’s his decision making on shoot-ins, the way he tries to cover pucks as they get passed across the top of the crease instead of tracking across and making a brick wall, his rebound control is horrendous, and he tries to play the puck behind the net when he shouldn’t.....I’ve yet to see a goalie in Vancouver that is behind his net with opposing forwards there as much as Markstrom.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I know you like your fellow countrymen and our D is in the bottom half... BUT the NHL, the rink size, etc. all contribute to a completely different game. An all-star D at the world-championship doesn't mean a Stanley cup winner with mediocre goalies.

You can be a KHL or AHL superstar... means nothing really.

Sure, a better D in front would mask some of their problems but the problems would still be there. Simply, neither are above average NHL starting goaltenders. There's enough sample size to see that it's more than obvious that they're not.

Markstrom was SO bad when he was first traded here, they had to reconstruct him in the minors. He still has some of the same issues: relying on athleticism, tracking of the puck, mental game, pucks going under his arms <- does any goalie let in more under armor goals than Marky? I'd love to know.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Mëds wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:44 pm
Per wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:27 pm Both Canuck goalies tend to fo well with the Swedish national team. They've both won gold at the World Championships.

KLINGBERG John
EKHOLM Mattias
WIKSTRAND Mikael
LARSSON Adam
EKMAN-LARSSON Oliver
LINDHOLM Hampus
GUSTAFSSON Erik

As long as Markstrom is surrendering very stoppable pucks in the opening minutes and on the first 1-3 shots, he is not going to be the guy this team builds in front of.

In Carolina that first goal was all him. He made a stupid read on the initial shoot in and played it to the corner where his D had no room and it caused the turnover. Then he lets a lob in from the blueline. The whole team just deflates.

His problems aren’t just stopping pucks. It’s his decision making on shoot-ins, the way he tries to cover pucks as they get passed across the top of the crease instead of tracking across and making a brick wall, his rebound control is horrendous, and he tries to play the puck behind the net when he shouldn’t.....I’ve yet to see a goalie in Vancouver that is behind his net with opposing forwards there as much as Markstrom.
When watching games around the league, and hockey in general, You see goalies pumping themselves up for the start of the game.
The rituals they go through, some of which are almost comical to an on looker. But most tenders know they gotta be hyped
to the nth degree to start the game.
Markstrom and Nilsson do a bit, (can't tell them apart, save the #), but Yeah, BE READY!!
It's pretty common to see fast breaks at the onset of a game.
"evolution"
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I don’t think there is any question that a better D would help tremendously. But a better D can’t defend against bad goals or bad first minute goals. The problem is both. But we need to fix the D first because no matter who we have in net we can’t be giving up all the shots we do, we can’t keep failing to clear the puck, we can’t keep getting caught running around for long stretches.

We don’t need five new D either. 1-2 bona fides top four would work wonders. This is of course assuming we keep the big three of Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson. If we trade any of them we need to somehow get a good D prospect back. I have faith that both Hughes and Juolevi will be top four. I have faith Trymankin will be back, especially if Goldobin is getting and keeps his top six role. Our D is porous because on any given night we struggle to have a reliable top four. We have plenty of 5-8 guys.
The only HW the Canucks need