Goaltending

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: Goaltending

Post by Per »

I don't know, but maybe winning the world championship last spring gave Nilsson the confidence boost necessary to take his game to the next level? Looking good so far! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Per wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:29 pm I don't know, but maybe winning the world championship last spring gave Nilsson the confidence boost necessary to take his game to the next level? Looking good so far! 8-)
That and working with goalie coach Ian Clark has probably helped Nilsson fix the little nuances in his game to help track the puck better.
Ian Clark, who spent the last seven years in Columbus where he helped turn Sergei Bobrovsky into a Vezina Trophy winner.
Bobrovsky - Tracks the puck very well when he is on top of his game. Has good quickness and athleticism for the goaltending position. Does not let a lot bother him on the surface.
-forecaster
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I think I am over my 'first shot hate', and will not be commenting on the teams save percentage on the first against of the game.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Not only the first shot goals. What really bugs me is the Under Arm(or) goals that has become Markstrom's calling card.

I've never so many goals scored that way until these last few seasons. I'm wondering if shrinking the Patrick Roy jersey over the years have opened up some new holes for shooters.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

I know!! Softies are the worst!! Flukes are bad (remember that messed up one that came in on a ring around(shot by Sundin, I think??) hit the join on the yellow boarder behind the net, popped up on the perfect arc to clear the net and bounce in off Louong’s back??

Flukes I can get over...

But softie under arms on the first shot are starting to graze on me...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 am That and working with goalie coach Ian Clark has probably helped Nilsson fix the little nuances in his game to help track the puck better.
This goaltending guru had some interesting points about Nilsson's game from last season to this, mainly about his stance. I think confidence is a big thing for Nilsson, he can be very hot or very cold. I just hope he doesn't get into a rut like he did last season after Greener went apeshit on him. Some players probably respond well to tuff criticism (ie: Keenan/Torts rage,) but it seems like most Swedes needed to be handled softly and delicately like babies (friendly player's coach approach). Hopefully Greener has learned this.

(around 2:00 mark)

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1190724
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:06 pm I know!! Softies are the worst!! Flukes are bad (remember that messed up one that came in on a ring around(shot by Sundin, I think??) hit the join on the yellow boarder behind the net, popped up on the perfect arc to clear the net and bounce in off Louong’s back??
I remember a goal by Thornton on LOOOOOOOU something like that.

Yup shit happens to the best of them...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:01 pm Not only the first shot goals. What really bugs me is the Under Arm(or) goals that has become Markstrom's calling card.

I've never so many goals scored that way until these last few seasons. I'm wondering if shrinking the Patrick Roy jersey over the years have opened up some new holes for shooters.
there has been a lot of talk about the six hole opening up more and skilled shooters will exploit that until a goalie proves he can close the six hole. so I think that may be part of the problem. the first goal Nilsson gave up against the Pens was through the six hole.
The only HW the Canucks need
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:22 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:06 pm I know!! Softies are the worst!! Flukes are bad (remember that messed up one that came in on a ring around(shot by Sundin, I think??) hit the join on the yellow boarder behind the net, popped up on the perfect arc to clear the net and bounce in off Louong’s back??
I remember a goal by Thornton on LOOOOOOOU something like that.

Yup shit happens to the best of them...
Could have been Thorton. I honestly can't remember who shot it, and haven't had time to look.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:00 pm
there has been a lot of talk about the six hole opening up more and skilled shooters will exploit that until a goalie proves he can close the six hole. so I think that may be part of the problem. the first goal Nilsson gave up against the Pens was through the six hole.
I know! After I got home and saw what you said about Edler's giveaway on the first goal, I'm like... another first shot goal under the arm?!

For the love of Thor! Is this a frickin' Swedish thing?

Man, we are not very Loki with six holes or S holes either. Do the Mathe, son.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:44 pm Yeah HW, a couple of goalies complaining publicly about the new pads:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/bri ... ike-crazy/

https://www.dispatch.com/sports/2018101 ... -protector
An unintended consequence. A lot of goalies are getting bruised. One would think the Department of Player Safety and the NHLPA will or should be all over this. I’m all for modifying equipment so it’s not there to stop the puck but it still has to protect the goalie.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

This thread aged well :)

Marky goes into the last year of his contract next season. I’d say you need to extend him at a pretty significant bump in pay.

He looks to me like a legit top 15 goalie for the balance of this year.
Three years 5.5? That get it done?

He has developed nicely as an older prospect over the last five years. He’s a leader and by all accounts he’s a good teammate. Pay him
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:02 am This thread aged well :)

Marky goes into the last year of his contract next season. I’d say you need to extend him at a pretty significant bump in pay.

He looks to me like a legit top 15 goalie for the balance of this year.
Three years 5.5? That get it done?

He has developed nicely as an older prospect over the last five years. He’s a leader and by all accounts he’s a good teammate. Pay him
No argument there. :thumbs:
"evolution"
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

As long as there’s no NMC/NTC. Put him at a respectable cap hit and he could become an attractive trade asset when Demko’s ready.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.