Canuck predictions for 2018/19 season

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canuck predictions for 2018/19 season

Post by 2Fingers »

My predictions for the entire season.

1 - Canucks finish bottom 5 in the league.
2 - Finish bottom 5 for goals scored
3 - defence is abysmal again and we see all of them make significant mistakes.
4 - Green loses his cool, he wants to win and everyone wants to win but the team is not built that way. Green has another yelling match with a player(s) and it is caught on a smart device. Why is this important? because it impacts how he manages the team and how he will become the scapegoat of management and owners and he is fired before July 1st. I do not support his firing, and think this is wrong but JB will do it to save his job.
5 - Counter to #4, JB is fired prior to season end when the team is "surprise surprise surprise" in the bottom of the league again. One day the owners will ask why they are spending so close to the max and yet the team is in the bottom of the league? If JB is fired first I highly expect Green to follow as the new GM will want his own guy in there.
6 - no major trades will occur, a) the Canucks have no one to trade unless Tanev has a fantastic year b) Edler wont lift his clause
7 - the positives, Bo, Boeser, EP, Bear continue to improve and gives fans hope
8 - more positives 2 - 3 call ups from the minors come up and impress to give hope to the fans
9 - drum roll please - with the first over all pick the Canucks would like to welcome to the team ..... (hey dont we already have one of those on the team???)

Items not making the list
1 - micky blames Green and not being prepared
2 - Tops blames lil trojan for everything that goes wrong, I mean everything, if there is an earhtquake it is trojans fault
3 - RD will agree to Huges as #1 but flip on all other players every month
4 - Blob will call Elmer, elmer in every post about elmer.
5 - reef will have more run on and on and on sentences
6 - Corn will lock down the toronto thread as we lose it over their success
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

SKYO wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm From ownership to management to the head coaches, it's clear this is a full rebuild mode, so I expect a trying season, but with some fun watching of the young guns scoring.
Do you honestly think ownership is clear that it is still rebuild year or 2 or 3?

I do not have that feeling and worried about the pressure JB will be under to do "something"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:09 pm
SKYO wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:53 pm From ownership to management to the head coaches, it's clear this is a full rebuild mode, so I expect a trying season, but with some fun watching of the young guns scoring.
Do you honestly think ownership is clear that it is still rebuild year or 2 or 3?

I do not have that feeling and worried about the pressure JB will be under to do "something"
I think that the ownership 'gets it', they get that a rebuild takes awhile, and that quick turnarounds in hockey don't happen generally, the best teams that stay consistent contenders for 10+ years must suffer for awhile, while they draft and develop a new core, drafting and developing your talent is the best build in pro sports.

Francesco seems generally enthused about the young talented prospects developing right now, notably Pettersson and Hughes.

I'd like to see Benning jump on a great opportunity trade this season, a true hockey deal, a good GM is when preparation meets opportunity, and all successful franchises and even wealthy billionaires can attest to having some luck here and there which really helps for success.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I haven’t changed my mind based on the preseason. I have the Canucks finishing somewhere in the 70-80 point range assuming key players remain healthy. If we see any significant injuries then we plummet to cellar dwellers. Our defence is just abjectly terrible. Edler and Tanev are the only genuine top 4 defencemen and they’re injury prone.

But none of that matters if we see positive player development. Well the points matter only in terms of increasing our odds of landing a top pick but not getting my hopes up!
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

I predict the fan base won’t be able to handle a rebuild.
It will whine incessantly with every loss even though they know the team will lose a lot even before the season starts.

I also predict Goldobin will be off the team by next season, and Dahlen will be on it.

Further prediction the left side defense is going, going, gone...
Last season for Edler, Del Zotto, Pouliot and Hutton.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Cherry Picker wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:05 pm I predict the fan base won’t be able to handle a rebuild.
It will whine incessantly with every loss even though they know the team will lose a lot even before the season starts.
Really putting your neck out there eh, CP :wink:
I also predict Goldobin will be off the team by next season, and Dahlen will be on it.
Guys like Goldy and Bearcheese should be young placeholders. Pump and recoup assets. Teams looking to get somewhere can't have such marginal wingers in their top 6.
Further prediction the left side defense is going, going, gone...
Last season for Edler, Del Zotto, Pouliot and Hutton.
Oh please lawd, I'd be happy for even 2 of these to not be here anymore.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Predict or hope?
I prefict the team starts slow but new players improve with each game and start to catch opponents thinking it’s an easy night. I hope youthful enthusiasm blends with wily veteran leadership and the team comes together and brings an us against the world attitude that makes them a difficult team to plAy against win or lose.

I predict more bad nights than good nights but I’m hopeful that in the losses there is always a silver lining.

What do I know? not much from watching highlights on YouTube

I am however thankful for the ability to read opinions from the corner, so far way more informative than TSN, sports net and the province mobile phone apps put together.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ukcanuck wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:42 pm Predict or hope?
I prefict the team starts slow but new players improve with each game and start to catch opponents thinking it’s an easy night. I hope youthful enthusiasm blends with wily veteran leadership and the team comes together and brings an us against the world attitude that makes them a difficult team to plAy against win or lose.

I predict more bad nights than good nights but I’m hopeful that in the losses there is always a silver lining.
Yeah this is almost a whole new team with the Sedins gone now, a whole modern era begins, there's a lot of different faces, youth, vets, even the head coach is still fairly new at his NHL gig, it's gonna take some getting used to and it's probably gonna be painful for awhile, I'm sorta mentally prepared for the losses, but all I hope is I start to see some sort of game plan by the coaches to get the most out of this team and good opportunity for the young guns to shine while scoring.

--

I like what Beags said here:
"You definitely have to learn how to win," Beagle, 32, who won a Stanley Cup with the Washington Capitals in June, said. "When I first came to the NHL, the big change wasn’t the speed, wasn’t the size. It was how people would capitalize if you took one shift off. It’s amazing that a game as fast as hockey can still be a game of inches, and being off by an inch can make the difference.

"I don’t look at our record in the pre-season. The thing that I am really encouraged by is the work ethic of this team. The guys in the locker room really do want to win. They want to come to the rink every day and work hard. Coming to a new group, you don’t know what the dynamic is in the locker room. You don’t know if it’s an absolute mess or what’s going on. But we have great guys in this locker room, which is a huge thing to have. I see leadership in this locker room. We also have youth that has incredible talent. I’m excited for the journey."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/can ... ra-begins/
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I predict Peterson takes over the #1 center slot with Boesser on one wing, and Leipsic or Goldobin on the other as the new top line.

Horvat slides rather comfortably into #2 center role
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I want to add that I felt underwhelmed this preseason. I cannot explain it but I expected more, something more???

So far EP is everything we expected but after that nothing, not worried about Boeser/Horvat, we know what we have in them but no one else really rose up and made me excited. I was hoping more from our D and our goalie but truthful is that they actually seem worse than last season. I know it is only preseason and only 6 games but the lack of goals scored is a huge concern.

The 3 new guys have not been great or bad, ok 2 guys since is damaged. Was hoping for more from them as well but the season has not started yet so I am probably a bit premature on that part.

What about the rest of you, how is your expectations today vs. the start of training camp?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

As far as predicting anything for this season goes, I'm trying not to let an lacklustre pre-season affect my thoughts too much.

This team really could go either way. If they pull together and start being a "hard team to play against"™, we could be pleasantly surprised. The other side of the coin is a complete meltdown by the 20 game mark. I'm expecting the former.

There is some talent up front, which should make for some exciting moments. The D and G do not inspire much confidence, but if the D stays healthy and the Swedes in net find their game, it won't be a complete mess in our end.

At this point, my biggest concern is in net, and if we continue with the "first shot, first goal" play of Markstrom, this team will look bad trying to play catch-up all year.

I'll still go with my earlier prediction, that if we stay healthy and the kids score like we know they can - we'll be close .500 hockey.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:17 pm I want to add that I felt underwhelmed this preseason. I cannot explain it but I expected more, something more???

So far EP is everything we expected but after that nothing, not worried about Boeser/Horvat, we know what we have in them but no one else really rose up and made me excited. I was hoping more from our D and our goalie but truthful is that they actually seem worse than last season. I know it is only preseason and only 6 games but the lack of goals scored is a huge concern.

The 3 new guys have not been great or bad, ok 2 guys since is damaged. Was hoping for more from them as well but the season has not started yet so I am probably a bit premature on that part.

What about the rest of you, how is your expectations today vs. the start of training camp?
I am a bit more positive. We saw very little of the 3 new UFA's but they are definitely a better combination than Gaunc,Gagner and Archibald. Boesser, Horvat and Baerchi will be a solid first line. Petterssen is better than i expected and Goldobin has improved over last years play. I think Jake will quit hitting posts and crossbars and have a better season if they play him on the second line. Our D may improve slightly wiith Hutton having a better year and Jouilovi coming up after Xmas. Markstrom was playing slightly better in the last 2 months of last sseason so am hoping he will be a bit better than last year. All in all i expect the Canuucks to get better over tjhe last season. Sadly i doubt they will be good enough to make the playoffs or be bad enough to get a shot at Hughes..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:17 pm I want to add that I felt underwhelmed this preseason. I cannot explain it but I expected more, something more???

I am a bit more positive. We saw very little of the 3 new UFA's but they are definitely a better combination than Gaunc,Gagner and Archibald. Boesser, Horvat and Baerchi will be a solid first line. Petterssen is better than i expected and Goldobin has improved over last years play. I think Jake will quit hitting posts and crossbars and have a better season if they play him on the second line. Our D may improve slightly wiith Hutton having a better year and Jouilovi coming up after Xmas. Markstrom was playing slightly better in the last 2 months of last sseason so am hoping he will be a bit better than last year. All in all i expect the Canuucks to get better over tjhe last season. Sadly i doubt they will be good enough to make the playoffs or be bad enough to get a shot at Hughes..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tiger wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:06 pm

That's why if the Canucks are still below in the standings by mid-season they need to unload a vet or two that hold good trade value to a true contender, plus don't wait for the trade deadline because if you get a good offer from a contender you gotta take or some other team will, as sometimes at the trade deadline you get left in the dust.

In any case quit being mediocre in the rebuild, go either or, quit being complacent by being in the middle of the pack, gotta think LONG term now that the Sedins are gone, think contend by the year 2020+, these next two seasons are the final building blocks for the future.

Getting a 1st or 2nd overall is a real game changer in a clubs rebuild timeline.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Cornuck wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:54 pm
There is some talent up front, which should make for some exciting moments. The D and G do not inspire much confidence, but if the D stays healthy and the Swedes in net find their game, it won't be a complete mess in our end.
Jacob and Alex? yeah. I think Alex is better than Anders in net.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters