Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

rikster
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Post by rikster »

So every owner meddles as much as the Little Eagles and Eugene Melnyk? Yet it is only these two ownership groups that are talked about constantly throughout the league in a real negative fashion ? Very interesting theory.

And of course we have to get the obligatory “ the fans aren’t patient enough for a rebuild” comment in there.
How would you know?

Or maybe you've done some research that tells you Vancouver and Ottawa are unique?

Just throwing stuff out there to suit your bias is a good example of the second comment regarding fans patience.

Take care...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

How would I know what?

That the owners are meddlesome and poke their noses into what the managers are doing? It’s been widely reported numerous times about Aquilini wanting to deal for Brad Richards in 08. And also in 2014 when Aquilini kiboshed deals for Kesler with both Anaheim and Pittsburge. Multiple sources have reported both of these instances and others.

You just wake up in a cave somewhere? :mex:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It’s the old man at the top, the 3 dingbats report to him. The old man had a notorious reputation in business world. He’s a huge fan of team. They hold you to your word when it comes to selling your story to get the job, “you said this when we hired you” but what they don’t get is that the sporting world and business are a little different from each other and that shit happens that force you to adjust your original mission. Old man Aqua has been operating that way from day one when he built his first house. I heard a lot of stories back when him and Skalbania partnered up on real estate deals.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

That the owners are meddlesome and poke their noses into what the managers are doing? It’s been widely reported numerous times about Aquilini wanting to deal for Brad Richards in 08. And also in 2014 when Aquilini kiboshed deals for Kesler with both Anaheim and Pittsburge. Multiple sources have reported both of these instances and others.
Of course they get involved, that was the point of my post...

And I said that you are being naïve if you think they don't or that they shouldn't, they being all owners of any business....Especially when the companies they own are underperforming....

To think that the Canucks ownership is unique in this way is very, very silly....

Take care...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Again.... rooster why is it only these two outfits (Vancouver and Ottawa) that are constantly talked about ? I don’t hear much about Katz meddling since Chia got there. The Jets and Leaves seem to be under solid ownership and other than Murray Edwards is a cheap cunt and the city council and he can’t get a deal done on an arena... I think the Flames group is fine.

If you are fine with the owner wanting to makes trades or interfere in them... keep on keepin on. Nothing I say will convince you
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Rickards Red is off the mark. You don’t get to where old man Aqua is in the construction industry being a nice guy. Firing people is enjoyment to these guys and that’s fine, whatever. The problem being is he operates with those same business values in the sporting industry as he does the construction industry. Most “good” builders I know have zero loyalty to sub trades, you have to be a prick or trades will take advantage of you. Canucks management is no different than a plumbing contractor to them.

How many shit years have we seen in Nashville? David Poile how long has he worked there? The Aquas need to understand something, they are not hockey people, they are developers. Don’t quit you’re day job and stop treating management like a contractor. You bought a race horse ffs. It’s supposed to be a labour of love.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Duplicate post
Last edited by rikster on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:13 pm It’s the old man at the top, the 3 dingbats report to him. The old man had a notorious reputation in business world. He’s a huge fan of team. They hold you to your word when it comes to selling your story to get the job, “you said this when we hired you” but what they don’t get is that the sporting world and business are a little different from each other and that shit happens that force you to adjust your original mission. Old man Aqua has been operating that way from day one when he built his first house. I heard a lot of stories back when him and Skalbania partnered up on real estate deals.
What I found when dealing with the very successful business people is that they fret more about the money they didn't make than they do about the money they did make...

Canucks ownership is very tame in comparison to many others in their positions...

The league has evolved from a cheap toy for the rich to play with to a complex business requiring many more $000's to play that requires constant attention and a more hands on approach....

To think that an ex player turned General Manager is going to be given the authority to spend millions of dollars on a single player, let alone the millions on the NHL payroll plus the minor leagues payroll plus management payrolls involving different, fluctuating currencies and all of the other expenses that go into running a NHL team without ownership involvement is naïve....

To think that ownership isn't involved in the day to day affairs of other teams around the league is naïve...

Take care...
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm Again.... rooster why is it only these two outfits (Vancouver and Ottawa) that are constantly talked about ? I don’t hear much about Katz meddling since Chia got there. The Jets and Leaves seem to be under solid ownership and other than Murray Edwards is a cheap cunt and the city council and he can’t get a deal done on an arena... I think the Flames group is fine.

If you are fine with the owner wanting to makes trades or interfere in them... keep on keepin on. Nothing I say will convince you
Google is your friend...

What you will find is that it is happening all around the league, including the Jets....

It seems to stop only when the teams start to win..

Take care...
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

One day, this could actually happen.
It's been stated, it never will but things can change.
Just saying, you never know.
https://www.bcbusiness.ca/dave-cobb-the ... ison-group
"evolution"
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rikster wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:51 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm Again.... rooster why is it only these two outfits (Vancouver and Ottawa) that are constantly talked about ? I don’t hear much about Katz meddling since Chia got there. The Jets and Leaves seem to be under solid ownership and other than Murray Edwards is a cheap cunt and the city council and he can’t get a deal done on an arena... I think the Flames group is fine.

Google is your friend...

What you will find is that it is happening all around the league, including the Jets....

It seems to stop only when the teams start to win..

Take care...
So when ownership tells Gilllis to hire Torterella cause he’s Italian that’s normal?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Apparently in roosters world.

Google is his enemy
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Sestito. :oops:
"evolution"
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:45 am I agree with Blob, the owners meddling have completely turned this organization one of the most confused organizations in the league, they need to let their “hockey people” they hire [d]o their job.... Holy fuck are we trouble
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:02 pm So when ownership tells Gilllis to hire Torterella cause he’s Italian that’s normal?
micky107 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:55 am There is NO confirmed proof or anything, other than speculation. None.
rikster wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:40 am How would you know?
Or maybe you've done some research that tells you Vancouver and Ottawa are unique?
Just throwing stuff out there to suit your bias is a good example of the second comment regarding fans patience.
No, we have no proof, but my goodness Royal Dude's interpretation is an awfully good fit with what we can observe from outside the organization.

I think the question before the board is whether Benning's alleged genius will be enough to overcome such adversity, or whether your Vancouver Canucks are as doomed as the Ballard-era leaves until ownership changes hands.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 am So every owner meddles as much as the Little Eagles
Gratified to see this appellation gain traction.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

So when ownership tells Gilllis to hire Torterella cause he’s Italian that’s normal?
Never heard that before...

Assuming that its accurate, the context that the team was too laissez faire and needed a kick in the rear from a fiery coach like Torts would make sense...

I welcomed the move at the time and while it didn't work out in Vancouver, it's worked out pretty good in Columbus and Tampa before that so I'm sure we can agree that he is a good coach...

Take care...