Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Post by 2Fingers »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:01 am
rikster wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:31 am
Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 pm
rikster wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:38 pm
So when ownership tells Gilllis to hire Torterella cause he’s Italian that’s normal?
Never heard that before...

Assuming that its accurate, the context that the team was too laissez faire and needed a kick in the rear from a fiery coach like Torts would make sense...

I welcomed the move at the time and while it didn't work out in Vancouver, it's worked out pretty good in Columbus and Tampa before that so I'm sure we can agree that he is a good coach...

Take care...

‘‘Tis true. I heard from a couple of sources a couple of weeks before it happened. They said if the NYR did not make it to the SCF they were firing Torts, his benching Richards and all in the playoffs. I was also told AV was being let go. Once the Rangers were eliminated we fired AV and shortly thereafter Torts was hired. When I heard it I thought it was a joke. I’m sure Doc can find all the posts.

They had already spoken to the Rangers and I think Sather, maybe not can’t remember, and it was all lined up.
Not sure what this adds to the conversation unless you think its unusual in any way in any business....

Fans at some point have to understand that hockey isn't a game, its a billion dollar business and things like poaching goes on just like it does in every other business....

It mirrors the challenges facing most other businesses today which is a shortage of skilled workers and managers and the head hunter industry is a lucrative business to be in....

To suggest that Torts was hired only because he is Italian would be weird, maybe weirder if you believe it....

Take care....
You said you never heard it before but I was pointing out it has been widely discussed on this board even before it happened.

I don’t think anyone said he was hired only because he was Italian.
Ricky lives in his world and does not require anyone to agree to him.
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

Ricky lives in his world and does not require anyone to agree to him.
I don't care if you agree with me or not, if you have something useful to add then please do...

My world understands that owners will force their will from time to time, especially when their team sucks...

Don't have to like or agree with it, just accept that it is very common...

It's called the world of reality...

Later...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Some owners will do this. George Steinbrenner and Al Davis used to do it. So did Jerry Jones.

It’s not as common in the NHL however and the Little Eagles are frequently referred to as being meddlesome owners. I don’t think it is near as common as you think it is. If it is is why are insiders like Duthie, Friedman, Mackenzie etc only ever brininging up Aquilini or Melnyk? I guess Katz was a pain in the ass a few years ago. The way you carry on, one would think it was common to have owners nixing trades and firing GMs for not making trades. Or taking point on hiring a new coach. I don’t hear much of this kind of shit going on in other NHL cities.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:10 am
Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:22 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:28 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm why is it only these two outfits (Vancouver and Ottawa) that are constantly talked about ?
Because Melnyk very obviously is a cheap lunatic and Canuck fans can't handle a rebuild...
A certain group of management, owners and fans can’t handle a rebuild, you’re correct. You are among that group. You want to flip picks for other teams washed out prospects or youngish non core players that are due a raise. This group is IGC.....
Oh do I now? :lol:

Admit it Blob, you've been pissing + moaning since the rebuild began, you can't handle it bro...
Yep. You loved the Vey trade, the Sutter trade, Pedan, Gudbranson debacle etc.

You sir can’t WAIT for a draft pick to develop. YOU NEED instant gratification.
It was actually Garrison for Vey

(Jimmy got the 50th overall that LA wanted and flipped it the next morning for Vey)

It was a good trade until Vey SR murdered Vey JR's psyche... who knew.

Also Aquas made him do it. :mrgreen:

Pedan was once drafted 3rd overall, 3 years later Jimmy traded a 3rd for him. (shrug)

It was a good trade until Pedan suffered 2 major concussions... who knew.

Also Aquas made him do it.

Sutter trade only involved a 9 spot pick upgrade and Canucks still got the player they wanted.

The Guds, as proven by yours truly, is a solid top-4 dman drafted 3rd overall just 6 years prior.

He provides exactly what your Vancouver Canucks needed (you said that yourself at the time of the trade). :)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Strangelove wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:06 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:10 am
Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:22 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:28 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm why is it only these two outfits (Vancouver and Ottawa) that are constantly talked about ?
Because Melnyk very obviously is a cheap lunatic and Canuck fans can't handle a rebuild...
A certain group of management, owners and fans can’t handle a rebuild, you’re correct. You are among that group. You want to flip picks for other teams washed out prospects or youngish non core players that are due a raise. This group is IGC.....
Oh do I now? :lol:

Admit it Blob, you've been pissing + moaning since the rebuild began, you can't handle it bro...
Yep. You loved the Vey trade, the Sutter trade, Pedan, Gudbranson debacle etc.

You sir can’t WAIT for a draft pick to develop. YOU NEED instant gratification.
It was actually Garrison for Vey

(Jimmy got the 50th overall that LA wanted and flipped it the next morning for Vey)

It was a good trade until Vey SR murdered Vey JR's psyche... who knew.

Also Aquas made him do it. :mrgreen:

Pedan was once drafted 3rd overall, 3 years later Jimmy traded a 3rd for him. (shrug)

It was a good trade until Pedan suffered 2 major concussions... who knew.

Also Aquas made him do it.

Sutter trade only involved a 9 spot pick upgrade and Canucks still got the player they wanted.

The Guds, as proven by yours truly, is a solid top-4 dman drafted 3rd overall just 6 years prior.

He provides exactly what your Vancouver Canucks needed (you said that yourself at the time of the trade). :)
The trade was a 2nd for Vey. Garrison was dealt for that 2nd in a previous (but different) deal. And seeing as Curtis Vey was charged in 2013, Linden Vey would have already been damaged goods by your rationale.

Pedan was a horrible skater .... full stop. He may have been able to play in the 70s.

Sutter should have had a pick attached to him (and no pick going to Pittsburgh) considering the Canucks gave up an equal player at a far cheaper salary. Good GMs generally receive a pick or prospect for taking another teams bad contract.

Nobody has proven Gudbranson is a top 4 defenceman. He has been top 4 in ice time among his teams defenceman twice in his seven seasons in the league. Considering the Canucks have probably the shittiest d group in the league outside of Ottawa, even if he ends up playing top 4 minutes for the third time in eight seasons in his careeer it hardly makes him a legit top 4 guy. Who cares if he was drafted 3rd overall? I’m sure the Panthers would like a do over. I said at the time that I liked what he could potentially bring. Having seen him play 80 games here has been pretty underwhelming. I also said at the time I didnt want that high 2nd rounder going the other way. McCann and a 4th should have been enough. I don’t mind him at 1-2 million playing a bottom pairing role. He’s way overpaid.

Not sure what the “Aquas made him do it” comment is about. It is a known fact that Aquilini demanded that Nonis trade Edler and Kesler for Brad Richards. It is also known that he killed trades for Kesler with both Pittsburgh and Anaheim
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pmPedan was a horrible skater .... full stop. He may have been able to play in the 70s.
Is this the same Pedan that would be called up to sit in the press box as Bubbles exploded?

The same Pedan than nearly all pencilled into their off season line forecasts for the following season?

Yeah, that guy.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:49 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pmPedan was a horrible skater .... full stop. He may have been able to play in the 70s.
Is this the same Pedan that would be called up to sit in the press box as Bubbles exploded?

The same Pedan than nearly all pencilled into their off season line forecasts for the following season?

Yeah, that guy.
I exploded. I was enraged. :lol:

This was before I had seen him play much. Guy couldn’t skate backwards and turned like a Sherman tank. I wanted to see him play and kick the piss out of someone.

One would think that pro scouts and/or Elmer had seen the guy play before they traded for him.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:21 pm
Topper wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:49 pm

Yeah, that guy.
I exploded. I was enraged. :lol:

This was before I had seen him play much. Guy couldn’t skate backwards and turned like a Sherman tank. I wanted to see him play and kick the piss out of someone.

One would think that pro scouts and/or Elmer had seen the guy play before they traded for him.
I was really hoping he’d turn out, he was mean and big and a true heavyweight. I loved his fight with Nolan, demolished him.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

The hour is late and I find myself with not much to do so I thought I'd go on record with a stab at what I think the Canucks opening night roster will look like. Sorry for the length and understand if it's TLDR:

The Forwards:
Leipsic Horvat Boeser
  • As someone in another thread mentioned, we are at least two forwards short of a legit top 6. I agree. So why not throw someone in this LW position who has already had good results in this spot (albeit in a small sample size). Plus, let's see if Leipsic can swim at this level over an extended period of time.
Baertschi Pettersson Eriksson*
  • I was going to make some season predictions at some point and in that I was going to say that I believe that Pettersson would make the team, last the season, post some decent numbers but not decent enough for Calder contention. I am now questioning myself on this point about being a Calder candidate - so long as he is durable enough. Insulate him here with to defensively responsible wingers in Baer & Loui. Perhaps, by some miracle, you also get a modicum of offence from "the Thief" as a happy byproduct.
Roussel* Sutter Granlund
  • Anyone else think Green & Co. will pitch putting back together a version of the line that had such surprising success (at least surprising with regards to offence) early last season? Sub Dorsett with Roussel and swap wings with the versatile, utility forward, swiss army knife Granlund.
Schaller Beagle Virtanen
  • Some might say this is a waste of Jake but, really, has he earned anything more? And yes, I agree with you when you are about to say something about Eriksson, Ganger, and so on. But that's the politics of a $6M contract. Perhaps you can switch Virtanen and Granlund but I think, for now, the better fit is on the 4th for Virtanen. Learn some hustle & hard work.
Extras:
Gagner
Goldy (roster spot due to injury)
Gaunce (roster spot due to injury)

The Forward shuffling due to injury:
  • Eriksson out. Granlund up. I'll go with this because its the least amount of juggling. He hasn't shown much at this point, so I don't think Green gives a top 6 role to "the Flake" any time soon. Goldy is LW and Green also doesn't seem to care for his lack of defensive awareness and lackadaisical play. Sutter might be a logical replacement here, causing Beagle to shift up a line and Gagner taking that 4th line C spot much like he did in CBJ - they really need to limit his 5 on 5 time. No way they put Gagner on the 2nd line with a rookie. Outside chance of Gaunce getting some 4th line duty at C.
  • Roussel out. Schaller up. That swap seems to make sense. Gaunce takes the 4th line LW spot. Archibald or Motte would work as well but Archie will clear and they need to sort out their logjam issues before wasting Motte's waiver eligibility. Those two will be in Utica if there are no moves before season opening.
I don't think these injuries open spots for any of the kids people are hoping to see. Nobody is impressing enough thus far to displace a vet. The injuries do however provide some time/games for the Brass to take a longer look at those bubble players - which if they prove not to be up to the task, will be cast aside thus opening up spots for the youngsters later in the season when injuries strike.
I imagine Leipsic would be on a short leach and if he falters they would want to see one last time if Goldy can bring it consistently. I stick by my prediction from a while back - he will flame out. Perhaps we could get an asset back but not likely since the league will know we have waiver issues.

The D:
Hutton Tanev
Edler Gudbranson
MDZ Stecher

Pouliot
Biega
  • Dog's breakfast. Before the pre-season I thought Pouliot and/or Sautner would be the one to step up, at least a bit, and claim a regular spot. At this point it seems to me that the Nucks want to push the issue with Hutton to either shake him back to even a portion of what he was in his rookie campaign, or increase his value, even to the point of at least a 7th round pick. I'm not holding my breath for either. In addition, as crappy as the D is, Sautner and Biega might be the only ones that would make it through waivers unclaimed. Crappy depth is better than no depth so they are better options than throwing young prospects into, as Blob likes to call it, this D tire fire.
Goal:
Markstrom
Nilsson
  • The time is not now for anything else. Nor, for that matter, is the personnel.
So what do we have? Well we lose 102 points from the Sedins. We pick some of that back up with their replacements and some improvement from young players. But that improvement will be tempered by regressions by some players you will not expect. Plus just how much more offence can you get out of someone like Brock - if he manages to stay healthy for more games and avoid the sophomore slump? I don't see them matching that 102 points lost. However, it is quite reasonable to expect a better result for Goals Against as with those 102 point we lose, they also lose two old, slow-ass, -43 (combined) players. Hell, we may even do better in 3 on 3 OT without the Twins. A revamped bottom 6 should help a lot with the goals against which brings the team closer to breaking even on those 102 points - but not quite.
I suspect the team is expecting more offence from the back-end but why they would expect this is beyond me. This is pretty much the same group we've seen for basically the last couple of years. It's not getting any better this year as is.
What I'm seeing is basically a year of treading water and ending up right about where we were last year. Somewhere in the vicinity of 23rd to 27th. Another lottery pick, with no lottery luck. Hopefully later in the season we we can get a peek at some other younger players (if we haven't already) like Gaudette, Dahlen, maybe even Palmu, and Hughes if he is eliminated early enough. Or the Canucks could happily surprise us all and overachieve which would be nice too!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I’m with you, Rock. We’ll be in the basement again this year (us and the Yotes for worst in the West). I think we may see some improvements in the standings starting next season.

At least we’ll be able to focus wholly on the kids while losing most of our game 4-2.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Although there are a couple I would discard, the talent level on our team is not that bad.
The coaching is.
One constant that has been around for a few years now is SLOW STARTS, NOT LOOKING PREPARED.
The confusion and running around to begin games has been horrendous.
Clipboard Willie and confused look Travis.
Not to mention 1976 trappin Doug.

And people wonder why things aren't progressing quicker.

Let's pick some players to dump on, must be all their fault, right?
Or better yet, lets just say "Well we'll be bottom feeders again this year".
Get all Ga-Ga over the dream of getting the next year's #1 overall pick,
again and
again and
again and
etc.
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah our goalies been trash since Miller left, can't improve when your goalies are taking all the teams momentum away, Nilsson is literally the tank commander in this regard, with both Marky/Nilsson in net, the team will be in tank mode once again, Demko is a couple years away from making any noise, on another note DiPietro seems more steady in net - cool as a cucumber.

2017/18 season: Markstrom was ranked 28th in GAA with goalies who played 22 games or more.
Miller was 7th.

SV% Marky was ranked 31st in the league.
Miller 5th.
Luongo 3rd!

Goalies age like fine wine.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:50 am I’m with you, Rock. We’ll be in the basement again this year (us and the Yotes for worst in the West). I think we may see some improvements in the standings starting next season.

At least we’ll be able to focus wholly on the kids while losing most of our game 4-2.
League-wide, I think the Nucks have a chance to be as good or better than all of the following:
Chicago Blackhawks
Arizona Coyotes
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens

And the Ottawa Senators are a stone cold lock for 31st. What a gift from heaven for the Avalanche.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Dahlen
Palmu
Chatfield
Have been assigned to the farm.

Eriksson starting to practice. (oh yeah).
"evolution"