Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Topper wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:18 pm Hopefully Fred falls from emotional peaks as hard as he does from shingled peaks.
Give him a Harold Snepsts in the back
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

It's hurting now!

And "NO" !!!! this team is way not known for bringing it's prospects along too fast.

Have you been watching?
I dont think so--hehehe
Yikes.
"evolution"
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

This isn't what the fans wanted.
If you are in the majority it would confirm what many are concerned with in Vancouver....the lack of patience for a rebuild.

Take care...
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:32 am
micky107 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:08 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:04 pm Yeah if more guys had actually stepped up and grabbed a spot like Petterson, then I’d understand the whining about not enough kids making the team. Gaudette isn’t good enough right now. Let him play 20 minutes a night in the top 6 in Utica and see if he has the chops. You don’t just hand him a spot.

Juolevi had back surgery in the summer. He’s clearly not here yet so why force the issue. Feed him heavy minutes in his he AHL and make him force managements hand to deal or waive someone. He’s not on the fast track but they need this player to be a top 4 guy in the future. Why rush him when he clearly isn’t ready?

Bu I guess the micken little gonna run around with his hair on fire.
You totally attempt to oversimplify.
It's not that simple and I'd bet both of them are sorry they were drafted by the Canucks.
Gaudette didn't get the same level of opportunity as pettersson and what is the purpose of Juolevi getting big minutes vs scrubs in the ahl?
Guess the Canuck defense is just so stacked eh?
Gaudette should be on the SECOND line with Pettersson.
Someone like Gadjovich probably isn't quite ready, although close on this team.
This isn't baseball and the minors do not mean or have the same effect.
Most players that get cut in the fashion these two did today, get mad and frustrated, not determined.
It usually ends up doing more damage than good in cases like these.
This franchise has a long and sorry history of letting players cook too long in minor leagues.

But your right, management's hands do need forcing.
Firing bill laforge would be a great start.

Benning is the one that's gonna lose here. This isn't what the fans wanted.

There was plenty of time for these guys to develop at the NHL level and they both deserved it, keep in mind, the coach is a confused puppy
that is already getting the whimpering thing down real good.
Guess the shelves were just too stocked with K-mart crap.

Mark my words; This was a regrettable day.
Neither Gaudette nor Juolevi showed enough to stick with the club right now. Motte and Leipsic have outplayed Gaudette and deserve a longer look. I still think Motte gets cut because of his waiver status. But he has been one of our better forwards at camp.

Juolevi will be fine. Play big minutes in Utica and work his way back to the big club. I think we see him before the season is done.

Either injuries or players playing themselves off the team or trades will make room for call ups. And Pettersson hasn’t made the team yet.
Agreed. Juolevi just had an operation and needs to get back up to speed. He really didn't stand out. Gaudette looked solid but Motte and Leipsic looked better. I want to see them develop in Utica as well. Not concerned about that at all. Also, Canucks will not do well so it keeps most of the kids out of the shitstorm!
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Five years and counting. Really, it's six.
Hope they get her dun before Bo's contract is up.

Yes I am purposely trying to be obnoxious just to prove a point.
Now I will stop.
Just remember.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Lines at practice today:

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser

Leipsic - Pettersson - Eriksson

Gagner - Sutter - Granlund

Schaller - Beagle - Virtanen (Motte, Archibald)

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Del Zotto - Biega
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

micky107 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:05 pm Lines at practice today:

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Del Zotto - Biega
Barring an injury, or trade of Gagner in the next week, Motte goes down and everyone avoids waivers...

Then JB has time to swing trades for late round picks for spare parts...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

micky107 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:08 am You totally attempt to oversimplify.
It's not that simple and I'd bet both of them are sorry they were drafted by the Canucks.
Gaudette didn't get the same level of opportunity as pettersson and what is the purpose of Juolevi getting big minutes vs scrubs in the ahl?
Most players that get cut in the fashion these two did today, get mad and frustrated, not determined.
This franchise has a long and sorry history of letting players cook too long in minor leagues.
I think it's good to let most of our young guys take baby steps b4 playing in the NHL. It will benefit Gaudette and Olaf to gain experience and confidence by playing big minutes and learning the pro game in the minors. It's a big jump from juniors, college or Finish league to the NHL. I think the AHL is probably closest to the NHL as all the players are men, considered pros and are watched/coached closely by their NHL clubs. Pretty much all those AHL guys were stars players and key players in their previous junior/college leagues. All of them fighting to get a chance to make it to the show.

Very few can make the NHL right away without some seasoning on the farm. The blue chip talents like McDavid, Matthews, Laine can make the jump right away, but farm time for most is a good thing. Just look back to when we rushed Virtanen, McCann and Hutty, it was clearly a mistake. Although Hutty had a very good rookie season, his regression the last couple years shows some development time in the farm would have been good for him. I hear it often mentioned that Gilbert Brule was a guy who was rushed into the NHL too fast and it wrecked his career.

It serves our young guys no good sitting in the press box or playing 4th line minutes most nights. The also may not be physically or mentally ready for the NHL. They get knocked around or they make mistakes regularly and u could kill their confidence by leaving them up here. Also for most guys, if u give them too much, too fast, they tend to take things for granted and they get spoiled (ie: Jake). Psychologically it's good to always keep a carrot in front of the guy to keep him motivated, grounded and striving to get better. Come to camp rdy to compete, make the farm team, show u can play in the bigs, become a regular NHL player, earn a fat contract, win a cup.

Look at our last crop of good Canucks, they all served time on the farm: Edler, Tanev, Schneids, Kes, Burr, Hansen, Bieksa, Grabner, etc. Even star players like Spezza and Karlsson served time with the Senator's farm system. Yes, sometimes u get a BoHo or a Brockstar, but I think for the most part, those guys are few and far between. It was clear that Pettersson was going to be in our lineup this year, but do we really want to have 3 rookies (if we kept Gaud + Olaf) to start the year with us again? The last time we did that, it didn't go so well (ie: Virts, McCann, Hutty). I think JB learned from his mistake from last time. He's going to let his young players cut their teeth and earn it to be here. Nothing will be given.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

micky107 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:05 pm Lines at practice today:

Edler - Stecher

Hutton - Tanev

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Del Zotto - Biega
Just hoping the team stays healthy and some of these dogs have their day.

Hopefully Benning can trade a hot player at an opportune time to get some middle round draft picks.

If Gagner, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Goldobin, Nilsson.... can be turned into any kind of draft pick when other teams run into injuries, I can live with it for one more season. But I want a much different team on the ice after the trade deadline.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

It is not as simple as AHL or NHL, on both teams the coaches have to be on the same page with certain players. Give the right starts, the right zone, the right minutes. Easier in the minors than for Green but this is another crap season so hopefully his ass is not on the line.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:37 pm
micky107 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:08 am You totally attempt to oversimplify.
I think it's good to let most of our young guys take baby steps b4 playing in the NHL. It will benefit Gaudette and Olaf to gain experience and confidence by playing big minutes and learning the pro game in the minors. It's a big jump from juniors, college or Finish league to the NHL. I think the AHL is probably closest to the NHL as all the players are men, considered pros and are watched/coached closely by their NHL clubs. Pretty much all those AHL guys were stars players and key players in their previous junior/college leagues. All of them fighting to get a chance to make it to the show.

Very few can make the NHL right away without some seasoning on the farm. The blue chip talents like McDavid, Matthews, Laine can make the jump right away, but farm time for most is a good thing. Just look back to when we rushed Virtanen, McCann and Hutty, it was clearly a mistake. Although Hutty had a very good rookie season, his regression the last couple years shows some development time in the farm would have been good for him. I hear it often mentioned that Gilbert Brule was a guy who was rushed into the NHL too fast and it wrecked his career.

It serves our young guys no good sitting in the press box or playing 4th line minutes most nights. The also may not be physically or mentally ready for the NHL. They get knocked around or they make mistakes regularly and u could kill their confidence by leaving them up here. Also for most guys, if u give them too much, too fast, they tend to take things for granted and they get spoiled (ie: Jake). Psychologically it's good to always keep a carrot in front of the guy to keep him motivated, grounded and striving to get better. Come to camp rdy to compete, make the farm team, show u can play in the bigs, become a regular NHL player, earn a fat contract, win a cup.

Look at our last crop of good Canucks, they all served time on the farm: Edler, Tanev, Schneids, Kes, Burr, Hansen, Bieksa, Grabner, etc. Even star players like Spezza and Karlsson served time with the Senator's farm system. Yes, sometimes u get a BoHo or a Brockstar, but I think for the most part, those guys are few and far between. It was clear that Pettersson was going to be in our lineup this year, but do we really want to have 3 rookies (if we kept Gaud + Olaf) to start the year with us again? The last time we did that, it didn't go so well (ie: Virts, McCann, Hutty). I think JB learned from his mistake from last time. He's going to let his young players cut their teeth and earn it to be here. Nothing will be given.
Your a good guy and a good poster Todd but I seriously disagree with almost everyone's depiction of what the minor league, (AHL), really is.
What I call it is a necessary evil. Make no mistake about it, the speed is slower the game in general is slower, but line changes still happen the same way so this "big minute" crap that is spewed is just that.
When you go to the minors, you play for that city. The coach coaches for that city, and of course, to try and win a Calder Cup. He has to.
The fan favorites are generally the regular guys that are there all the time. It is those guys that will be leading the way.
It is also an illusion to think there is plenty more practice time. There isn't, in fact, in some cases, less. The travel situations are not as elite, shall we say.
Granted, you are away from the frenzy of an NHL media and generally can do things without being noticed. A good thing? Not always.
Sure there is some communication between nhl and ahl coaches and GMs about how things are to be done and what a player, who's been sent down, needs but in reality, it's very little.
Jake Virtanen did not make great strides with Green in Utica, that's bull, it's just fodder and hype for the media and fans.

I'll go so far as saying that "maybe" a "little" that two or three weeks for Juolevi down there might help him heal a little longer and become more pain free. When I look at our defense, I think he fits in, make room!
Not Gaudette though. Room should have been made and hopefully will be tute sweet. If not, It's a "Trav"esty.
Also doesn't bode well or look good to other US college players that could potentially sign, (or not sign), NHL contracts.
On a personal note: It makes me sick that I have to watch someone like Gagne over someone like Gaudette.
Does that equate into impatience ? I don't think so.
For the record, I am aware that JB announced the cuts.
"evolution"
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

micky107 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:39 am Your a good guy and a good poster Todd but I seriously disagree with almost everyone's depiction of what the minor league, (AHL), really is.
What I call it is a necessary evil. Make no mistake about it, the speed is slower the game in general is slower, but line changes still happen the same way so this "big minute" crap that is spewed is just that.
When you go to the minors, you play for that city. The coach coaches for that city, and of course, to try and win a Calder Cup. He has to.
The fan favorites are generally the regular guys that are there all the time. It is those guys that will be leading the way.
It is also an illusion to think there is plenty more practice time. There isn't, in fact, in some cases, less. The travel situations are not as elite, shall we say.
Granted, you are away from the frenzy of an NHL media and generally can do things without being noticed. A good thing? Not always.
Sure there is some communication between nhl and ahl coaches and GMs about how things are to be done and what a player, who's been sent down, needs but in reality, it's very little.
Jake Virtanen did not make great strides with Green in Utica, that's bull, it's just fodder and hype for the media and fans.

I'll go so far as saying that "maybe" a "little" that two or three weeks for Juolevi down there might help him heal a little longer and become more pain free. When I look at our defense, I think he fits in, make room!
Not Gaudette though. Room should have been made and hopefully will be tute sweet. If not, It's a "Trav"esty.
Also doesn't bode well or look good to other US college players that could potentially sign, (or not sign), NHL contracts.
On a personal note: It makes me sick that I have to watch someone like Gagne over someone like Gaudette.
Does that equate into impatience ? I don't think so.
For the record, I am aware that JB announced the cuts.
I agree with Todd on this one, Mick. You are right for some farm teams, but most NHL teams own their farm teams, and the farm team teaches some of the same skills, and more importantly, the same system as their NHL team. This was true when the Canucks had the Moose, and it is true again now that we own Utica.

And, I for one would prefer to watch Gagner over Gaudette if Gaudette is not the better player. Gifting Gaudette a spot will not help him out.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Gifting anyone with a spot never seems to work out.

Not sure what all the hate bashing of 'veterans' is all about.. if the rookies can't win the job, they shouldn't be here.

Did anyone really think we were going into the season with 4 or 5 rookies this year?? And then watch the melt downs as the rookies only get 8-10 minutes a night??!?

By the end of the year, we will see 3-4 (or more) rookies get into the lineup. That's how you develop them.
Some people need to calm down and have some patience.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:29 pm Gifting anyone with a spot never seems to work out.

Not sure what all the hate bashing of 'veterans' is all about.. if the rookies can't win the job, they shouldn't be here.

Did anyone really think we were going into the season with 4 or 5 rookies this year?? And then watch the melt downs as the rookies only get 8-10 minutes a night??!?

By the end of the year, we will see 3-4 (or more) rookies get into the lineup. That's how you develop them.
Some people need to calm down and have some patience.
Mad what do you define as earning a spot? A rookie makes mistakes, it is how the team manages the mistakes that matters. I don’t give 2 flying shits about a 27 yo vet when a 19 year old (who makes mistakes) sits on the bench or down in the minors and does not learn. I’m not saying gift a job to a rookie but the meaning oh rookie = mistakes.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

First off, Gaudette isn't 19, he's 21.
He outplayed Gagne in camp and he didn't even have a good one.
But he was faster, could play in both zones and actually made real "body checks". What a concept.

ROOM WILL BE MADE!

ah-huh.
"evolution"