Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Post by Diehard1 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:44 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 pm
Juolevi doesn't look quite ready but I think he'll be a great addition later this season...
What have you seen so far that makes you think Juolevi will be great later?
He's a low-key guy, needs to learn how to play at the NHL pace but is smart and makes a very good first pass. He has been caught out of position a few times and looks like he isn't in NHL shape, not surprising given his recent surgery.

I think we'll see significant growth out of him this year, just needs to get a number of games under his belt.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 pm Agreed, the forwards look decent. Youngish, at least on the scoring lines, though the 3rd and 4th will likely be older vets for the most part (Sutter, Beagle, Schaller, Roussel, etc). Looking forward to seeing how Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Goldy, Virtanen all grow over the season.

D looks like the same tire fire it was last year, odd how that works when you bring back the same 8 d-men. I think calling them average is generous, they are a well below average group in my mind. Juolevi doesn't look quite ready but I think he'll be a great addition later this season, and Hughes next season will be a huge addition as well.

Goalies? Not sure there's much more we can say about them, they are who they are given both are in their late 20's and have been below average goalies their whole careers to date. I still think Markstrom has a ton of talent, but he just can't seem to put it all together. Nilsson is just huge and as long as he plays bit he's solid - too bad he doesn't do that much. Demko looks like he's not quite ready, so I expect him to be in Utica and ready for the call up either late in the season or when an injury hits.

Still a bottom of the league team, barring a huge surprise. The team is exactly what we thought they would be.
Yup the forwards is the only thing I'm looking forward to watch progress, the defense is exactly the same as last season, maybe Newell Brown gives Stecher a longer look on point this year? He seemed to be doing better this preseason so far in his 3rd NHL season, no more sophomore jinx!

Hopefully Quinn Hughes signs in late March, like what Boeser and Gaudette did, and that really helped mentally to be prepared for the following season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Not totally sure yet but for to-nite it looks like

Goldobin-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Pettersson- Eriksson? wtf.
Leipsic-Beagle-Roussel
Scaller-Granlund-Motte

Hutton/Tanev
Poulliot/Stecher
Del Zotto/Gudbranson

Nilsson
"evolution"
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

If this is what a healthy Guddy looks like then I’m scared - he doesn’t only look bad, he looks Enrico Ciccone bad. Just awful out there.

Not much positive from tonight’s game though the forwards have some good chances. The D continues to part like the Red Sea and cant get shots on net from the point, and Nilsson looks bad. Lots of time for improvement though, so there is some hope.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I heard that the Canucks have 4 5on5 goals in 6 games now.

That is God awful brutal.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

For the time being, Brock is in a wee bit of trouble.
It's not the beginning of a sophomore slump, he has too much determination and smarts for that.
Speed is down, Reaction time is down. Even with the big arms, shot is not as effective.

So I can only assume one of two things.

He is not pain free.
His conditioning is poor.

I do not think, contract negotiations put on hold, factor in.

If it wasn't for the fact it would light up the hockey headlines across the planet, he could use three weeks in the minors to get
back up to speed and feel better. Nothing to do with development, learning or attitude, just recuperation.
In a perfect world, isn't that part of what the minors are for?
Oh well, the good news is, he has a couple of really close friends on the team that will have his "back" as it were.
Just don't believe the media when they start saying last year was a fluke, and they will...
"evolution"
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

micky107 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:48 am For the time being, Brock is in a wee bit of trouble.
It's not the beginning of a sophomore slump, he has too much determination and smarts for that.
Speed is down, Reaction time is down. Even with the big arms, shot is not as effective.

He is not pain free.

If it wasn't for the fact it would light up the hockey headlines across the planet, he could use three weeks in the minors to get
back up to speed and feel better. Nothing to do with development, learning or attitude, just recuperation.
In a perfect world, isn't that part of what the minors are for?
Oh well, the good news is, he has a couple of really close friends on the team that will have his "back" as it were.
Just don't believe the media when they start saying last year was a fluke, and they will...
I think it’s conditioning, hes added extra body mass and that’s thrown him off half a step. I say in another week he’ll get into his groove.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:26 am
micky107 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:48 am For the time being, Brock is in a wee bit of trouble.

He is not pain free.

I think it’s conditioning, hes added extra body mass and that’s thrown him off half a step. I say in another week he’ll get into his groove.
Yeah I think he couldn't work on his speed much while rehabbing his injuries, but he could work out and added 10lbs of muscle iirc.

so lack of cardio and more added weight of muscle, has slowed him down a bit...but his skills will prevail once he gets up to speed, and just like a natural goal scorer, all he needs is one bounce to get that scoring mojo back again.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

If last nite was any indication, Demko aint outtta this thing yet, by golly, gee whiz.
"evolution"
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-S ... /194/94956

Notice the quotes from the coach.
WELL DUH, comes to mind.
I suspect he might be over under thinking things a wee bit.
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Gaudette, Ganuce and Joulevi sent down
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:11 pm Gaudette, Ganuce and Joulevi sent down
Well ya'll won't be hearin as much from ole mick for a while. (not quitting).
There are no curse words strong enough to relay how negative I feel on Gaudette and Juolevi being sent down.
Down to a place that's chuck full of greenhorns in regards to developing nhl players.
I suppose most will say; Oh it will be good for them to get big minutes in the minors,
NO IT WONT !!!!! choke puke.
But mick, the experts on 650am all agree.
WTF do you think their going to say. They have a contract!!
Green is such an idiot!!!!! And yeah, I'm horrified JB would seem to be ok-ing it.
He drafts good players then allows this?
What the ---- will we be watching instead?
Sorry Doc, I tried but No-way I can condone this.
58 points, here we come.
This is awful but I am actually hoping for at least 2 season ending injuries, of my choosing, on the first game of the year, or as many as it takes
to get Oli and Adam sent immediately back up. :look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look: :look:
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yup Gaudette and Juolevi will get called up throughout the season, as this team always get injured.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

SKYO wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:48 pm Yup Gaudette and Juolevi will get called up throughout the season, as this team always get injured.
This is true. At least Utica will be more entertaining to watch. Looks like Pettersson's the only new addition to the next generation coming in this season to the big club. Motte and Leipsic don't count.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Demko on concussion protocol. Suffered a concussion during warm up/practice in Salt Lake City

Baertschi our with flu like symptoms
The only HW the Canucks need