Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Post by Strangelove »

I don't think this has been posted yet, from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1043958574836154368
Vancouver Canucks
@Canucks

Jonathan Dahlen, Petrus Palmu & Jalen Chatfield have been assigned to the @UticaComets. #Canucks
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Sautner and Boucher on waivers today as well.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'd say Boucher has a 50/50 shot to make it to Utica.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Strangelove wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:11 pm I don't think this has been posted yet, from yesterday:

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1043958574836154368
Vancouver Canucks
@Canucks

Jonathan Dahlen, Petrus Palmu & Jalen Chatfield have been assigned to the @UticaComets. #Canucks
page 15
"evolution"
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

micky107 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:58 pm page 15
Thanks, not sure how I missed it...
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:45 pm Nilsson is literally the tank commander in this regard, with both Marky/Nilsson in net, the team will be in tank mode once again, Demko is a couple years away from making any noise, on another note DiPietro seems more steady in net - cool as a cucumber.
Seems like goaltending will be our weakness once again, long gone are the days of Luongo/Schneider dominant duo's, christ I can't believe we had that tandem at one point.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:27 pm
SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:45 pm Nilsson is literally the tank commander in this regard, with both Marky/Nilsson in net, the team will be in tank mode once again, Demko is a couple years away from making any noise, on another note DiPietro seems more steady in net - cool as a cucumber.
Seems like goaltending will be our weakness once again, long gone are the days of Luongo/Schneider dominant duo's, christ I can't believe we had that tandem at one point.
Well, the weak defense is definitely not helping.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yes... Luongo and Schneider would make a massive difference :roll:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:12 pm
In terms of having some controversy to talk about endlessly.....

I'm fairly certain they would also fuel a virtual waterfall of inane trade ideas from SKYO as GM's all over the league would be clambering to give us their best forward and defense prospects packaged with their 1st and 2nd round picks to pry one of them out of Vancouver. Doubtless as part of a package for our cap dumps and garbage like Eriksson and Sutter.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

As the old adage goes, "show me a good goaltender and I’ll show you a good coach"

Have shitty goaltending & your team will 100% be trash, as even Hasek got his mediocre team to the Cup finals.

Now don't tell me you think goaltending is worthless (yes you didn't say that) but you're implying rock solid goaltending (something Lu/Scheids provided https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canuck ... y/c-566843 ) wouldn't make any difference for this team?

An average defense with average to below average goaltending on any team in the NHL would be bring em down to draft lotto status guaranteed.

I'd say our forwards will have a steady trajectory of improving this season barring health, with Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson leading the way and EP has shown to be offensive generator making others around him better scorers, so some of the fringe depth guys will fortunately get a bump in points I bet.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

SKYO wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:39 pm
As the old adage goes, "show me a good goaltender and I’ll show you a good coach"

Have shitty goaltending & your team will 100% be trash, as even Hasek got his mediocre team to the Cup finals.

Now don't tell me you think goaltending is worthless (yes you didn't say that) but you're implying rock solid goaltending (something Lu/Scheids provided https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canuck ... y/c-566843 ) wouldn't make any difference for this team?

An average defense with average to below average goaltending on any team in the NHL would be bring em down to draft lotto status guaranteed.

I'd say our forwards will have a steady trajectory of improving this season barring health, with Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson leading the way and EP has shown to be offensive generator making others around him better scorers, so some of the fringe depth guys will fortunately get a bump in points I bet.
Agreed, the forwards look decent. Youngish, at least on the scoring lines, though the 3rd and 4th will likely be older vets for the most part (Sutter, Beagle, Schaller, Roussel, etc). Looking forward to seeing how Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Goldy, Virtanen all grow over the season.

D looks like the same tire fire it was last year, odd how that works when you bring back the same 8 d-men. I think calling them average is generous, they are a well below average group in my mind. Juolevi doesn't look quite ready but I think he'll be a great addition later this season, and Hughes next season will be a huge addition as well.

Goalies? Not sure there's much more we can say about them, they are who they are given both are in their late 20's and have been below average goalies their whole careers to date. I still think Markstrom has a ton of talent, but he just can't seem to put it all together. Nilsson is just huge and as long as he plays bit he's solid - too bad he doesn't do that much. Demko looks like he's not quite ready, so I expect him to be in Utica and ready for the call up either late in the season or when an injury hits.

Still a bottom of the league team, barring a huge surprise. The team is exactly what we thought they would be.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lmao at calling the Canucks d average.

I’ll be generous and call that 8 man unit bottom 5.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

anyone see that ESPN article that ranked our forward group as dead last in the league? Yes even below Ottawa's.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2477 ... ward-group
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:21 pm
Juolevi doesn't look quite ready but I think he'll be a great addition later this season...
What have you seen so far that makes you think Juolevi will be great later?
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

theman wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:41 pm anyone see that ESPN article that ranked our forward group as dead last in the league? Yes even below Ottawa's.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2477 ... ward-group
Yeah, they obviously underestimate the magic of Pettersson! :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.