Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks camp & preseason 2018/2019

Post by Mickey107 »

Now Reid Boucher sent to Utica as well, must clear waivers though.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

SKYO wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:45 pm Yeah our goalies been trash since Miller left, can't improve when your goalies are taking all the teams momentum away, Nilsson is literally the tank commander in this regard, with both Marky/Nilsson in net, the team will be in tank mode once again, Demko is a couple years away from making any noise, on another note DiPietro seems more steady in net - cool as a cucumber.

2017/18 season: Markstrom was ranked 28th in GAA with goalies who played 22 games or more.
Miller was 7th.

SV% Marky was ranked 31st in the league.
Miller 5th.
Luongo 3rd!

Goalies age like fine wine.
Or you could compare their stats when they both played for the same shitty team. Miller in 2016/17 with Vancouver and Jacob Markstrom in 2017/18 with Vancouver. Little bit more of a fair comparison, no?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm
Strangelove wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:06 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:10 am
Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:22 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 pm
Strangelove wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:28 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:33 pm why is it only these two outfits (Vancouver and Ottawa) that are constantly talked about ?
Because Melnyk very obviously is a cheap lunatic and Canuck fans can't handle a rebuild...
A certain group of management, owners and fans can’t handle a rebuild, you’re correct. You are among that group. You want to flip picks for other teams washed out prospects or youngish non core players that are due a raise. This group is IGC.....
Oh do I now? :lol:

Admit it Blob, you've been pissing + moaning since the rebuild began, you can't handle it bro...
Yep. You loved the Vey trade, the Sutter trade, Pedan, Gudbranson debacle etc.

You sir can’t WAIT for a draft pick to develop. YOU NEED instant gratification.
It was actually Garrison for Vey

(Jimmy got the 50th overall that LA wanted and flipped it the next morning for Vey)

It was a good trade until Vey SR murdered Vey JR's psyche... who knew.

Also Aquas made him do it. :mrgreen:

Pedan was once drafted 3rd overall, 3 years later Jimmy traded a 3rd for him. (shrug)

It was a good trade until Pedan suffered 2 major concussions... who knew.

Also Aquas made him do it.

Sutter trade only involved a 9 spot pick upgrade and Canucks still got the player they wanted.

The Guds, as proven by yours truly, is a solid top-4 dman drafted 3rd overall just 6 years prior.

He provides exactly what your Vancouver Canucks needed (you said that yourself at the time of the trade). :)
The trade was a 2nd for Vey. Garrison was dealt for that 2nd in a previous (but different) deal.
As I keep saying, Canucks acquired the pick on the evening of June 27th 2014 (first day of the draft)

... and then flipped it the next morning for Vey (second day of the draft, beginning with Round 2)

Clearly the Canucks viewed this as Garrison for Vey, but whatever...

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm And seeing as Curtis Vey was charged in 2013, Linden Vey would have already been damaged goods by your rationale.
Well Canucks didn't learn of it until after the trade (in fact it wasn't discussed in the hockey world until 2016).

At first everyone (including young Vey) believed the narrative that it was mere talk, nothing serious.

It took time to wear Linden Vey down, he had his best AHL season just after the charges were laid.

As it sunk in and the gravity of the situation became clear, his following AHL seasons were much worse...

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm Pedan was a horrible skater .... full stop. He may have been able to play in the 70s.
Yes his skating was flawed when he was drafted in the 3rd round... but as expected it was slowly improving.

(not good enough yet, but improving)

My point was Jimmy traded a 3rd for a 21-year-old former 3rd rounder.

My other point was that it was the subsequent major concussions that did Pedan in...

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm Sutter should have had a pick attached to him (and no pick going to Pittsburgh) considering the Canucks gave up an equal player at a far cheaper salary. Good GMs generally receive a pick or prospect for taking another teams bad contract.
No, in a rebuild you get the younger player (Sutter) while looking at the long range contract situations.

Recall me telling you for 2 years that eventually Bonino would be making roughly the same as Sutter.

Recall me saying from the beginning it was a good deal for both teams.

(salary cap shouldn't concern a rebuilding team, but it will always concern a contender)

You keep saying that Bonino is the better player, I keep saying Sutter is the better player

... but in the end it was just a mere 9-spot pick upgrade given up, so why do you go on and on?

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm Nobody has proven Gudbranson is a top 4 defenceman. He has been top 4 in ice time among his teams defenceman twice in his seven seasons in the league.

I rebutted you on that and you had no response.

A couple of other times you repeated this and I linked you to my rebuttal, inviting you to respond.

It gets tiring after a while, same with you constantly falsely claiming a pick was given up in the Sutter trade...

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm Who cares if he was drafted 3rd overall? I’m sure the Panthers would like a do over.
Yeah that's why Tallon tried to reacquire him from your Vancouver Canucks. :roll:

You repeating over and over (and over and over) that it wasn't a fair trade... doesn't make it so.

(same deal with the Sutter trade)

You are entitled to your opinions, but do you have to repeat them over and over (and over and over)?

The only time I comment on these trades is in response to you, and I only do it once in a while.

You whine about these too-close-to-call trades over and over (and over and over) because you can't handle a rebuild...

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm
Not sure what the “Aquas made him do it” comment is about.
WHOOSH

Look at the conversation going on in this thread at the time of my comment...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Lmao at Uncle Remis
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Here's a question for all of you. So far I have not been impressed with Demko's play during the preseason, so is he better off doing another year in the minors or staying up with the big boys, honing is game with Ian Clarke and in practices and playing about 20 games as back up?
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

How about they send all the kids, including Pettersson, down to the farm, and broadcast the Comets games locally?

I could get much more enthused about watching the Comets contend for a Calder than watching the Canucks contend for Hughes.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

theman wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:48 am Here's a question for all of you. So far I have not been impressed with Demko's play during the preseason, so is he better off doing another year in the minors or staying up with the big boys, honing is game with Ian Clarke and in practices and playing about 20 games as back up?
I think he’ll be better served in the ahl working with Ian Clarke. I think most of demko’s issues are between the ears, and playing time should be able to help with that. Having said that I kinda hope after christmas he’s able to make the transition up to the team.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:18 am How about they send all the kids, including Pettersson, down to the farm, and broadcast the Comets games locally?

I could get much more enthused about watching the Comets contend for a Calder than watching the Canucks contend for Hughes.
Pretty ding dang good post there. :)
"evolution"
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:18 am How about they send all the kids, including Pettersson, down to the farm, and broadcast the Comets games locally?

even if the canucks finised last (which they wont) they will NEVER get first overall pick.

it will not happen. lottery is not fixed, we are just unlucky at it. PERIOD. just bank on sliding as far down the pick list as we can, and yu will have our draft position.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

So 4th then? No way we go below Ottawa this year.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

"evolution"
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 am

even if the canucks finised last (which they wont) they will NEVER get first overall pick.

it will not happen. lottery is not fixed, we are just unlucky at it. PERIOD.
I said contend for Hughes, not win.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

theman wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:24 am So 4th then? No way we go below Ottawa this year.
yeah. I should say.

the essence of my 'anti-tank' posts are that this team will need to be rebuilt off having a plan, skill of our drafting team, and 1 or 2 signings or trades.
We don't have to be the best at all those categories (we will miss a guy at a draft or 2, and a couple signings/trades wont work out - its human nature for that), but the plan must be sound, (and it seems to be - imo), and we have to win most of the sign/trades (which we seem to be - imo). We wont know for a year or so more, but we sure seem to be on the correct path.

Either way, It will NOT be built off the luck of the draft lottery.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:52 am
Madcombinepilot wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 am

it will not happen. lottery is not fixed, we are just unlucky at it. PERIOD.
I said contend for Hughes, not win.
Why contend when you know you cant win?? that sounds like a whole lotta losing to me....

better off doing your best to line up assets to trade or 1st overall, after the draft order is determined.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/09/24/canu ... n-waivers/

I don't know what time the waiver day ends.
"evolution"