2019 UFA

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Wizard
CC Legend

Re: 2019 UFA

Post by The Brown Wizard » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm

Curious what people think the team will actually do about this defense july 1st.

There are 3 legit difference makes that i can see in EK, Meyers and Gardiner.

We have an assload of cap space and the black hole of despair for a defense roster. The table is set for Benning to sign at least 1 of these 3 difference makers plus at least 1 more of whatever else is available.

I personally think we absolutely should do just that.

Canuck-scorners....your thoughts?
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:46 pm

I think if the Canucks can get a legitimate top 6 scorer prior to July 1st, EK will come here.

We got the cap space.

We definitely got the spot for him to succeed.

Vancouver has done really well with Swedes.

Even the hockey panel agree's the Canucks will heavily target one of the top tier dmen July 1st - it's the top priority this offseason.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm
Curious what people think the team will actually do about this defense july 1st.

We have an assload of cap space and the black hole of despair for a defense roster. The table is set for Benning to sign at least 1 of these 3 difference makers plus at least 1 more of whatever else is available.

I'd prefer Myers simply because he is a RHD. I know Gardiner is too but he is so high risk high reward. Id stay away from EK just because of the cost and Have blinders on thinking Hughes will produce for us :mrgreen:

Durability is big for us. Tanev could play out his contract and be moved closer to the deadline if he isn't moved this summer. We will need someone on the right side. Myers could be a good fit with Hughes if we move on from Tanev. I do think Tanev is perfect fit for Hughes but his durability is the question. So much rides on a healthy Tanev and Edler and it cripples us when they go down. I see the Tanev Edler problem the same way that I saw the Sedin problem. As long as you have them you rely so much on them being healthy/productive that when they are not the team struggles.

Whenever he is asked how he will fix the D Benning mentions trades. perhaps therein a trade or two he has been close to making that he is planning to revisit this summer.
The only HW the Canucks need

vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Meds wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:34 pm
So I felt like wasting some time over at CapFriendly today.....

Leivo $1.75M - Pettersson - Boeser $7.5M
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Eriksson - Gaudette - Spooner
Roussel - Beagle - Sutter
MacEwen

Edler $4.5M - Karlsson $11M
Juolevi $863K - Tanev
Hughes $2M - Gudbranson
Stecher
Biega

Markstrom
Demko $1.75M

Total cap hit of $78.536M..
With Guddy gone, hopefully find a new home for Sutter and Eriksson (retain half if they have to), that's another $11.

Sign Panarin @ 9 mil.

Leaves the team with 6 mil in space.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:05 pm

Id like Pouliot, Spooner, Schaller, Ericksson, Sutter gone. Im on the fence with both Tanev and Edler. I'd keep Granlund as the extra forward. I'd like to be deep enough to move on from Schenn. I'm fine with Biega being our extra D.
The only HW the Canucks need

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:25 am

I'm not a fan of the kind of money, term and protection it would take to bring EK to Vancouver.
12 for 8? That' gross! And risky as all hell. Get a better read when we see if he's a super hero for SJ in the playoffs.
If we were going for the cup within 2 years, I might feel different.
Hughes will no doubt get a look with 2 or 3 different partners in the few games he plays.
Tanev with Hughes next year makes no sense to me. Apples and oranges.
Stecher will most likely get the gig. At least for now. He's the only one that can half ass keep up to him. LOL
I am so totally ready to move on from Tanev and his injuries that are so common place. Tiresome.
The Canucks are in a good position with Edler. They can do whatever they want, so; Nice to see that you love the city so much, Eddy.
Here's our proposal; Take it or leave it!
Poliott and Schenn are not, or no longer, NHL caliber players. Boot!
I'm getting the idea, Benning is gonna change this defense plenty. At this point, I can only say with some confidence, the only ones
I'm pretty sure are here next season are Hughes, Stecher, Hutton and a low balled, Edler.
Things should become clearer after the second season, leading up to FA/19.

Nice that the Canuck's brass has time and a wonderful opportunity to sit back and watch it all unfold.
I wonder if Aqua watches the playoffs?
"evolution"

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 am

Dhaliwal:
Benning on if he will go after an 11 million dollar a year contract on July 1st :

"I don't think we go in that direction but if there are some players that I feel that can help and support our younger players, we are going to look at those types of players."
Myers, JB was rumoured to try to trade for him when he was a Sabre.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by UWSaint » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:44 am

micky107 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:25 am
Tanev with Hughes next year makes no sense to me. Apples and oranges.
You want apples and oranges for a pair. But I don't disagree with your conclusion.

The problem with the pairing is that the Canucks will want Hughes to get the puck the up the ice via feet or tape to tape passes.

The Canucks best player doing that today? Tanev (when he is in the lineup). If the team is going to be competitive, a Tanev-Hughes pairing invariably with result in underutilizing Tanev's skill.

Also, Tanev should play against other teams' top lines when match ups are possible. Hughes should not.

Pairing Stecher and Hughes together presumes a league without effective power forwards. We aren't there, and won't ever get there, as big guys will learn to play like little guys, too. Good NBA big men can now put it on the floor, distribute, and shoot the 3. McDavid can do it all. Not that there are many McDavids and guys like McDavid can work anyone over, but you get the point.

Hughes' partner should be Tyler Myers.
Hono_rary Canadian

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:52 am

Did you guys forget the dominance Rielly - Tanev had?
Connor McDavid was asked if his group of teammates included an unsung hero, who may not have earned as much praise as he deserved.

“It’s tough to single one out,” said McDavid, whose only goal of the tournament proved to be the gold-medal winner. “I think one that comes to mind is Chris Tanev. He was unbelievable defensively and all over the ice.
Once the Canadian players got back on home soil, others also sang Tanev’s praises in their local radio interviews.

“I was flying back with (Tanev’s defence partner) Morgan Rielly and we were talking about just how good of a player he is,” Montreal Canadiens winger Brendan Gallagher told TSN1040 in Vancouver. “He was so consistent for us night after night.”

On defense, I was pretty impressed with Tanev,” two-way demon Mark Stone of the Ottawa Senators concurred. “You look at his numbers, I think he gets 20-25 points a year, but he does a lot of things that help your team win. He was probably our most steady defenceman from a defensive perspective all tournament.

Considering that Gallagher suits up with 2013 Norris Trophy winner P.K. Subban when he’s doing his day job with the Habs and Stone’s Senators teammate is two-time Norris champ Erik Karlsson, this pair knows a thing or two about high-end blueliners. It seems that Tanev stood out to them thanks to his smart, reliable play—perhaps in contrast to the high-risk, high-reward styles that we see in the NHL from both Subban and Karlsson.

Throughout the World Championship, Tanev and Rielly formed Canada’s top defensive pair. They did great work as the team limited its opposition to just 11 goals scored in 10 games.

Tanev was also a regular on the tournament’s best penalty-killing unit.
Canada surrendered just two power-play goals in 29 shorthanded situations for a 93.10 percent efficiency rating.

https://canucksarmy.com/2016/06/02/chri ... rformance/

Hughes notably isn't the best defensively, he's a high-risk, high-reward type - so having someone who can be a backbone defensive stalwart beside him like Tanev will be key for Q's success moving forward.

Erik Karlsson best dman partner for example was Marc Methot.

Who knows, I'd say sign Myers long term, but keep Tanev for Q (at least till 2020 TDD) ... unless a team pays up something decent at the 2019 draft like a certain canadian team back east who might get knocked out 1st or 2nd round due to their lack of defensive dmen types.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:46 pm
Uncle dans leg wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 pm

I'd prefer Myers simply because he is a RHD. I know Gardiner is too but he is so high risk high reward. Id stay away from EK just because of the cost and Have blinders on thinking Hughes will produce for us :mrgreen:
Gardiner is a left-side dee and we don't need any more of dat dere right?

At this point I would overpay for Karlsson or Myers (basically all UFAs get overpaid).

I think Myers wants to play in 'merica though...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:17 am

Strangelove wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm

At this point I would overpay for Karlsson or Myers (basically all UFAs get overpaid).

I bet he'll go where they'll overpay him the most. Of all the UFA dmen, he's one that will likely get overpaid the most. Someone will pay him like a number 1, and he's no better than a 2/3. He's 4th in TOI on his own, admittedly stacked, team.

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:52 am

Strangelove wrote:

You need one if you trade away Hutton and/or Edler walks. I think both are on the table.

Fortunately Hutton has become an asset with value thanks to a bounce back year, but that doesn't mean he needs to stay a Canuck.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:26 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:17 am
Strangelove wrote:

I bet he'll go where they'll overpay him the most. Of all the UFA dmen, he's one that will likely get overpaid the most. Someone will pay him like a number 1, and he's no better than a 2/3. He's 4th in TOI on his own, admittedly stacked, team.
Can't argue with any of that, but I still think he would chose the American team if the offers were close.

I can't remember why, but somewhere along the line I got the impression he wants to play in the states.

I could be wrong.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:33 pm

ESQ wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:52 am
Strangelove wrote:

You need one if you trade away Hutton and/or Edler walks. I think both are on the table.

Fortunately Hutton has become an asset with value thanks to a bounce back year, but that doesn't mean he needs to stay a Canuck.
Hey I'm in favour of trading Hutton if the right deal comes along, trade him while his value is high!

But I think they'll keep him for one more year and then go with Edler, Hughes, and Juolevi down the left side.

Unless that feeling I get about him is even stronger with Green/Jimmy... then they might trade him this summer.

So yeah, point taken, they could trade him and then sign a left-side UFA.

I personally don't like the idea of Gardiner however...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:03 am

Skip the top 6 forward group in free agency. Draft a winger unless we are in a spot to grab Hughes, Cozens, or Dach.

I read someone on here say they think we are going to see a Toffolli for Hutton trade, I would be fine with that, in fact it got me thinking about IF's and whatever's.....so I hopped on capfriendly and played armchair GM.

Sign and trade deal with LA. Hutton for Toffoli with us burning a future 3rd rounder and getting back a future 4th or 5th if required.

Eriksson, Tanev, Spooner, and Sutter, all traded for any return that doesn't impact our cap. Yes it's an almost impossible sell with the exception of Tanev.

Signed Boeser to $7M bridge deal.

Re-signed Edler $5.5M.

Extended Demko $1.75M.

Signed Karlsson $11M x 7.

Signed Myers $7.5M x 5.

Ended up with the following lineup.....

Virtanen - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli
Roussel - Gaudette - Baertschi
Schaller - Beagle - MacEwan

Edler - Karlsson
Hughes - Myers
Brisebois - Stecher
Biega

Markstrom
Demko

Total cap hit: $71M and change.

That leaves $14M to make other changes as obviously I don't think a bottom pairing of Brisebois and Stecher is NHL-worthy, and we should add a bottom pairing guy in the $2.5M or less range on the left side.....and we could even give Goldobin another shot on a show-me deal or try to add Panarin, or Skinner.

Regardless, our issue hasn't been scoring this season so much as it's been getting nothing from the blueline on offense outside of Edler, and surrendering piles of shots and changes or being unable to get the puck out of our end because none of our defensemen outside of Edler and Tanev can make a decent pass under pressure.

I think we should be focusing on a major overhaul of the blueline, and I would definitely ship out Tanev and go after both Myers and Karlsson. We don't even have to dump Tanman to do what I suggested, he's UFA after this season and could stick around and then be dealt at the deadline instead. I would even consider trading Tanev to a team with extra LD and in need of RD for a left-side D on a similar contract who is a top-4 guy that pushes Hughes down to the bottom pairing at even strength.

The point is, if Benning can get out from under Eriksson, Sutter, and Spooner, we are absolutely LAUGHING come July when it comes to spending money on players, and with a few of our expiring contracts in 2020 and 2021, there's room to give raises to Pettersson, Hughes, and others.