2019 UFA

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 UFA

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:00 pm
Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:38 pm By the bottom of the roster I mean the bottom pairing defenders and the third and fourth liners. Great, they are a tiny bit grittier with Roussel and Schaller. Spending huge dollars on the bottom of the roster is idiotic especially on long term deals
Sutter may well be gone, Tanev, guddy or edler may be gone, Gagner will be gone, beagle and roussel and Schaller will be replacments for Sutter, Granlund, Gagner. There will be piles of cap space, all these contracts are easily tradeable.
Also what Blob is missing is that a lot of players will be on ELCs over the next few years.

(by the time all the kids need mo money, most vets will be gone)

RD there will be tons of cap space moving forward, GMJB is managing the cap beautifully...

I agree with Doc on this. JB is managing the cap just fine. He is a great drafter, good cap manager, so so on the trades.

Overpaying an extra year on Beagle and an extra 750k on Rousell (getting him over the magic "3Million" threshold) simply makes sure that EVERY agent out there tells the client to 'never take Vancouver off the list, you might hit a payday - or get exactly what you want'. Makes sure they at least take the call to listen to any offers.. and it doesn't really hit us cap space as we have a bunch more coming off the books Inc the next couple years.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:26 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:38 pm By the bottom of the roster I mean the bottom pairing defenders and the third and fourth liners. Great, they are a tiny bit grittier with Roussel and Schaller. Spending huge dollars on the bottom of the roster is idiotic especially on long term deals
Sutter may well be gone, Tanev, guddy or edler may be gone, Gagner will be gone, beagle and roussel and Schaller will be replacments for Sutter, Granlund, Gagner. There will be piles of cap space, all these contracts are easily tradeable.
Also what Blob is missing is that a lot of players will be on ELCs over the next few years.

RD there will be tons of cap space moving forward, GMJB is managing the cap beautifully...

I agree with Doc on this. JB is managing the cap just fine. He is a great drafter, good cap manager, so so on the trades.

Overpaying an extra year on Beagle and an extra 750k on Rousell (getting him over the magic "3Million" threshold) simply makes sure that EVERY agent out there tells the client to 'never take Vancouver off the list, you might hit a payday - or get exactly what you want'. Makes sure they at least take the call to listen to any offers.. and it doesn't really hit us cap space as we have a bunch more coming off the books Inc the next couple years.
We’re also at the point now with our organizational depth that the free agents we sign will be for a defined position or role and won’t be high end players, the high end guys (starting goalie, top 6 forwards) are all coming from within. I could see us pursuing a top 4 rhd next year in free agency but that’s it, our bottom 6 is strong and the top 6 will be stacked from prospects graduating.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Are you implying that JB has set a precedent that he is known to overpay for FA? So in 3 - 4 years when we will really need a top notch FA that we may be hamstrung because JB over payed on longer than expected contracts for 3rd/4th liners?

Yes I am taking a small part of your statement and expanding on it but I am making a point.

3, 2, 1 ....
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:08 am

Yes I am taking a small part of your statement and twisting it in a knot
Sounds like someone I know :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:46 am

We’re also at the point now with our organizational depth that the free agents we sign will be for a defined position or role and won’t be high end players, the high end guys (starting goalie, top 6 forwards) are all coming from within. I could see us pursuing a top 4 rhd next year in free agency but that’s it, our bottom 6 is strong and the top 6 will be stacked from prospects graduating.
It's always going to be the chicken or the egg.
When the projection is at hand your team will be vying for the SC,, FAs WANT-YOU. They NEED YOU. They will give you a home town discount
even though your not home. Maybe even be flexible on years.

If your projection is a four year, bottom five bunch, then it's; if you want "ME", your gonna have to PAY a ton to have ME grace your franchise with
MY presence for MANY years, (and we'll have a private meeting about all that other stuff that no one knows about, ;) .
"evolution"
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

And likely we'll lose a vet and his contract via the NHL expansion draft in a couple years, which will probably be one of these guys:

Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel, Beags.

Just noticed with the Sedins gone, this team has no players with a NMC in their contract. :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:08 am
Are you implying that JB has set a precedent that he is known to overpay for FA? So in 3 - 4 years when we will really need a top notch FA that we may be hamstrung because JB over payed on longer than expected contracts for 3rd/4th liners?

Yes I am taking a small part of your statement and expanding on it but I am making a point.

3, 2, 1 ....
actually, you are absolutely defining the point I was trying to make. By giving a guy today an extra 750k (or whatever) or an extra year, JB is making sure that we are at least getting the chance to have the discussion with that 'top notch' FA down the road. 2 years from now, 750k will have no bearing on our cap world. EVERY agent will at least take the call when JB rings the phone, and knowing Vancouver is an awesome place to live and (possibly) will overpay an FA (or resigning player that was traded to us) will help keep us off players "wont go there" lists.

… or at least its an arguable thought :)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:49 am And likely

Just noticed with the Sedins gone, this team has no players with a NMC in their contract. :thumbs:
good cap management right there!

…. especially with an expansion draft coming up.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:51 pm
SKYO wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:49 am And likely

good cap management right there!

…. especially with an expansion draft coming up.
Yup! It also puts validity in the idea that if a young guy earns a spot, he'll get it, sooner than later.
"evolution"
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:26 am JB is... a great drafter...
Maybe ! Sure hope so !

I wouldn't say that, as of today, there is much evidence from players who have played in the NHL to support that contention, though. I hope there is abundant evidence by the end of the 2018-2019 season.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

From the worst prospect pool to one of the very best under Jimmy's watch there Cliffy.

Jimmy got soul Jimmy got soul Jimmy got Jimmy got Jimmy got SOUL!!!

____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:19 pm .

From the worst prospect pool to one of the very best under Jimmy's watch there Cliffy.
From almost winning the cup to not even coming close to making the playoffs.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reefer2 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:05 pm

Stumped

Game
Set
Match
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Seriously?

Canucks were 3 seasons removed from "almost winning the cup" when Jimmy arrived.

Canucks missed the playoffs the season before Jimmy arrived.

The window was closed and Jimmy had to re-stock empty cupboards when he arrived.

Builder Jim has been a godsend to your Vancouver Canucks.

You and yours have been doing a hella lotta pissing and moaning the last few years.

Sure there is pain involved in getting from there to here but did you have to be such a wimp about it?

Remember, you can't win a marathon without putting some bandaids on your nipples.
____
Try to focus on someday.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Strangelove wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Seriously?

Canucks were 3 seasons removed from "almost winning the cup" when Jimmy arrived.

Canucks missed the playoffs the season before Jimmy arrived.

The window was closed and Jimmy had to re-stock empty cupboards when he arrived.

Builder Jim has been a godsend to your Vancouver Canucks.

You and yours have been doing a hella lotta pissing and moaning the last few years.

Sure there is pain involved in getting from there to here but did you have to be such a wimp about it?

Remember, you can't win a marathon without putting some bandaids on your nipples.
Sure