2019 UFA

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

2019 UFA

Post by SKYO »

Yes a long ways away but it could be a banner year for UFA's, especially since the Tavares waves will continue as younger star players could continue that trend of - hmm where do I want to play as a UFA?

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/ ... cy-in-2019
The John Tavares effect: Why a wave of NHL stars could decide to hit free agency in 2019
Rinne, Bobrovsky, Karlsson, Chara, Seguin, Pacioretty, Panarin, Duchene, Stone, Skinner and Pavelski ... And that's just a taste of what's to come.

In past years, the question was rhetorical. Star players might have flirted with the notion of free agency, might have even openly thought about playing elsewhere, but when push came to shove no one ever went all the way to July 1. Few even stepped onto the ice without wrapping themselves in the safety blanket of a long-term deal.

Even with Drew Doughty re-signing in Los Angeles and Logan Couture re-upping in San Jose, the list of NHL players who are entering the final year of their contracts is unlike any other. If they reach free agency next summer — and if they work together in choosing where they want to play — we could see a power shift in the NHL.

Then again, do you really think they’ll get to the open market?

But that was before John Tavares signed in Toronto this summer. As one agent who did not want to be identified said, “since Tavares, everything has changed.”
Maybe it's good the Canucks kept their Sedin money for next summer, but yeah they also have to think long term for Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes possible big cap deals.

If anything I just want to add one top dman, prefer a bigger right side/RS dman who can put up points.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 UFA

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

SKYO wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:51 pm If anything I just want to add one top dman, prefer a bigger right side/RS dman who can put up points.
I agree that looks like the biggest hole in the roster right now.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Waste of time, they're all going to Tarana
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Imagine if they hadn’t pissed away so much money on the bottom of the roster. They’d have a boatload to spend
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:39 pm Imagine if they hadn’t pissed away so much money on the bottom of the roster. They’d have a boatload to spend
They still "have a boatload to spend".

(and these signings will have zero effect on signing the kids long term when the time comes)

You were pissing and moaning about the lack of grit on the team.

Canucks go out and sign some grit... and you piss and moan about it.

A G E N D A
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

By the bottom of the roster I mean the bottom pairing defenders and the third and fourth liners. Great, they are a tiny bit grittier with Roussel and Schaller. Spending huge dollars on the bottom of the roster is idiotic especially on long term deals
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Is it true the Canucks will have $30 million to spend next July?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:21 pm Is it true the Canucks will have $30 million to spend next July?
That’s with one goalie, 4 d men (including Biega), and ten forwards signed. Boeser’s extension will eat up a nice chunk of that.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So Jimbro has put this team in CAP HELL?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:16 pm So Jimbro has put this team in CAP HELL?
Not cap hell but managing the cap isn’t a strong point of his that’s for sure.
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:38 pm By the bottom of the roster I mean the bottom pairing defenders and the third and fourth liners. Great, they are a tiny bit grittier with Roussel and Schaller. Spending huge dollars on the bottom of the roster is idiotic especially on long term deals
Sutter may well be gone, Tanev, guddy or edler may be gone, Gagner will be gone, beagle and roussel and Schaller will be replacments for Sutter, Granlund, Gagner. There will be piles of cap space, all these contracts are easily tradeable.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:38 pm By the bottom of the roster I mean the bottom pairing defenders and the third and fourth liners. Great, they are a tiny bit grittier with Roussel and Schaller. Spending huge dollars on the bottom of the roster is idiotic especially on long term deals
Not at this stage when we have so many kids (who need protection) on ELCs.

When you're at the stage where you are contending for the Cup, sure you don't want that.

Benning added grit in Roussel, Beagle, and Shaller this summer without giving up any assets.

And their cap hits don't affect the team one iota at this stage.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Nope they don’t affect the team one bit as we speak. That may change July 1, 2019
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Prove it to me Blob, throw out a scenario with numbers.

You are Wrongo Luongo.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm
Sutter may well be gone, Tanev, guddy or edler may be gone, Gagner will be gone, beagle and roussel and Schaller will be replacments for Sutter, Granlund, Gagner. There will be piles of cap space, all these contracts are easily tradeable.
Also what Blob is missing is that a lot of players will be on ELCs over the next few years.

(by the time all the kids need mo money, most vets will be gone)

RD there will be tons of cap space moving forward, GMJB is managing the cap beautifully...
____
Try to focus on someday.