Apparent contradiction?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by micky107 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Ronning's Ghost wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:53 am
SKYO wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am
I'm just saying with Horvat's semi-friendly contract, and Pettersson ELC, the Canucks can afford to spend cap money on some quality depth centers.
Personally, I was hoping that before the end of Sutter's contract, Gaudette would be the 3rd best centre in the Canucks system.
Absolutely! Nothing wrong with that.
I think the basics are there so now it's up to Green to help him bring it to fruition.
"evolution"

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4782
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by Uncle dans leg » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:11 pm

Fuck we need training camp already....page after page of whatever this is sucks man

Bring on the season
nobody forks...with the jesus

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by micky107 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Always hated warm-up, stretching, etc. :mrgreen:
"evolution"

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17110
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by Strangelove » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:21 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am
Bo is a very average penalty killer. Though for this hockey team that could be described as “damned proficient” I guess.
I agree with the first sentence but not the second.

We just need our 2 best penalty-killing forwards (Sutter, Loui) to stay healthy this season

... and for noted PKers Beagle and Schaller (and Roussel to a lesser extent) to add to that.

Would also help the PK if Granlund has a bounce-back season and Gaunce continues to improve.

Like you I'm not much of a fancy stat guy, but I read an interesting article a while back.

Something like Canucks were top-5 in PK shot suppression but bottom-5 in PK goaltending percentage last season.

This seems to match the eye test in my opinion:

Our goalies were our biggest problem on the PK.

(pressure gets to them?)

Anyway, as I say, we should have a better group of PK forwards next season, and hopefully the goaltending is better.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17110
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by Strangelove » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:21 pm

Topper wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:46 pm
Piss or get off the pot time for Jake, Gaunce, Hutton, lil'trojan, Granlund, Lipstick, Mott
I agree about everyone but Jake and Motte.

Motte because he will most certainly spend the year in Utica.

(2-way contract and doesn't require waivers until he plays 1 more NHL game)

Jake because he turned 22 this month, improved last season, and just signed a cheap 2-year contract.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by micky107 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:42 pm

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jake-virtanen

The minors in the second year? Misprint?
"evolution"

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9248
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by SKYO » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:11 am

Strangelove wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:21 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am
Bo is a very average penalty killer. Though for this hockey team that could be described as “damned proficient” I guess.
I agree with the first sentence but not the second.

We just need our 2 best penalty-killing forwards (Sutter, Loui) to stay healthy this season

... and for noted PKers Beagle and Schaller (and Roussel to a lesser extent) to add to that.

Would also help the PK if Granlund has a bounce-back season and Gaunce continues to improve.

Like you I'm not much of a fancy stat guy, but I read an interesting article a while back.

Something like Canucks were top-5 in PK shot suppression but bottom-5 in PK goaltending percentage last season.

This seems to match the eye test in my opinion:

Our goalies were our biggest problem on the PK.

(pressure gets to them?)

Anyway, as I say, we should have a better group of PK forwards next season, and hopefully the goaltending is better.
Yeah Marky admitted this was hard to learn to play 60 NHL games in a season, but now he knows what it takes, they say your best penalty killer is your goalie, so maybe Marky can take it up a notch now that's mentally prepared for a 60 game NHL season.

In any case, having Sutter, Beags, Grans and Eriksson as the top dawgs penalty killing, along with a healthy Tanev, Guddy (knock on wood) that will help overall the penalty kill game.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 10716
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:19 am

Lol “Grans” is a terrible penalty killer
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 9646
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by Topper » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:50 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:21 pm
Topper wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:46 pm
Piss or get off the pot time for Jake, Gaunce, Hutton, lil'trojan, Granlund, Lipstick, Mott
I agree about everyone but Jake and Motte.

Motte because he will most certainly spend the year in Utica.

(2-way contract and doesn't require waivers until he plays 1 more NHL game)

Jake because he turned 22 this month, improved last season, and just signed a cheap 2-year contract.
The hilarious thing is that this was all stated by management and players after the season end exit interviews.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11493
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 am

Dahlen, Gaudette, Demko, Virtanen, Petterson and Juolevi will all have excellent training camps. Let’s sit back and see if “those who deserve to stay up, stay” or will contracts dictate those decisions?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:04 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 am
Dahlen, Gaudette, Demko, Virtanen, Petterson and Juolevi will all have excellent training camps. Let’s sit back and see if “those who deserve to stay up, stay” or will contracts dictate those decisions?
Dahlen and gaudette should go down in my opinion no matter how well they play. They need big minutes including top pp time. Let them be first call ups, and if they can handle the nhl gaudette frees up Sutter/Gagner to be traded and Dahlen frees up Baertschi for trade. Now if management is sold in training camp I guess they could look to trade prior to the season starting which would be interesting. However, if docs playoff’s are gonna be a possibility we’ll need the depth.

User avatar
micky107
CC Legend
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:27 am

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by micky107 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:27 am

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:04 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:17 am
Dahlen, Gaudette, Demko, Virtanen, Petterson and Juolevi will all have excellent training camps. Let’s sit back and see if “those who deserve to stay up, stay” or will contracts dictate those decisions?
Dahlen and gaudette should go down in my opinion no matter how well they play. They need big minutes including top pp time. Let them be first call ups, and if they can handle the nhl gaudette frees up Sutter/Gagner to be traded and Dahlen frees up Baertschi for trade. Now if management is sold in training camp I guess they could look to trade prior to the season starting which would be interesting. However, if docs playoff’s are gonna be a possibility we’ll need the depth.
Don't know how happy Jame's is if Trav sends Adam down. ;)
"evolution"

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9248
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by SKYO » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:19 am
Lol “Grans” is a terrible penalty killer
lol forget that, either say you know nothing about hockey, or do even watch hockey?
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12954
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:44 pm

Does this clear the mud?

Benning isn't ruling the prospect of a deserving kid grabbing a roster spot.

"If one of them comes in and is like Brock Boeser was last year and we think it's best for him to be playing in the league, then we'll make room," he added. "We're going to have six to eight guys down in the American League that we think are going to be part of our future. We have to make sure they develop properly, are physically strong enough and mentally tough enough, and when they are ready, we are going to give them an opportunity."
The only HW the Canucks need

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by Richardstroker69 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:44 pm
Does this clear the mud?

Benning isn't ruling the prospect of a deserving kid grabbing a roster spot.

"If one of them comes in and is like Brock Boeser was last year and we think it's best for him to be playing in the league, then we'll make room," he added. "We're going to have six to eight guys down in the American League that we think are going to be part of our future. We have to make sure they develop properly, are physically strong enough and mentally tough enough, and when they are ready, we are going to give them an opportunity."
It’s akin to management sending Dahlen over to Sweden when he said he wasn’t ready for the ahl, just because a kid looks ready to play in the league doesn’t mean he *is* ready to play in the league. Confidence is huge for these players.

Post Reply