Apparent contradiction?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Apparent contradiction?

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:28 pm Leipzig
:look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:08 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:28 pm Leipzig
:look:
Zeig heil!
If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Piss or get off the pot time for Jake, Gaunce, Hutton, lil'trojan, Granlund, Lipstick, Mott
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

This season for Hutton and Stetcher definitely. Probably Granlund as well. For the rest, I’d say next season will be point where they have to prove they’re going to be part of the team moving forward. At that point, management will have a better idea what they have on the farm who can replace them.

Of the bunch, I have highest hopes for Jake and Stetcher.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Eriksson Sutter Petterson
Virtanen Gaudette Gagne
Gaunce Beagle Roussel

Schaller
Granlund
Goldobin
Leipsic

They have to get rid of Granlund and Gagne and trade Sutter over this season with what’s coming up the pipeline. It’s not worth having those 3 ruin the potential of players like Goldobin whose ceiling we may never know. If Dahlen and Gaudette have excellent camps it may force their hands to make room. Too much dead weight
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:36 am Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Virtanen Gaudette Gagne
Gaunce Beagle Roussel

Schaller
Granlund
Goldobin
Leipsic

They have to get rid of Granlund and Gagne and trade Sutter over this season with what’s coming up the pipeline. It’s not worth having those 3 ruin the potential of players like Goldobin whose ceiling we may never know. If Dahlen and Gaudette have excellent camps it may force their hands to make room. Too much dead weight
I basically agree with you.
if and when Sutter is traded, I hope it is for a center who excels at PKing.
Even though he's damned proficient in the role, I'd hate to see Horvat get stuck with the #1 PK center role.
He's just too good at driving to the net on offense.
We need that.
We need even younger players to see that.
A lot.
"evolution"
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

They shouldn’t trade Sutter until Pettersson and Gaudette have been successful at centre at the NHL level. Sutter can always move to the wing if they are ready. He has a NTC this year, and there is no rush to move him at all. Next year and the year after he has a motified no trade clause. If you can get anything trade Gagner and Goldobin. They can go because they suck defensively and better players are competing for their jobs, but Sutter should be kept around much longer. He is good at what he does.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

RoyalDude wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:36 am They have to get rid of Granlund and Gagne and trade Sutter over this season with what’s coming up the pipeline. It’s not worth having those 3 ruin the potential of players like Goldobin whose ceiling we may never know. If Dahlen and Gaudette have excellent camps it may force their hands to make room. Too much dead weight
Interesting. Clearly, the players you name on the trade away list are not part of your Championship Dynasty Vancouver Canucks roster. I guess you never bought the "Sutter is foundational" spin.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:17 am
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:36 am Baertschi Horvat Boeser
Virtanen Gaudette Gagne
Gaunce Beagle Roussel

Schaller
Granlund
Goldobin
Leipsic

I basically agree with you.
if and when Sutter is traded, I hope it is for a center who excels at PKing.
Even though he's damned proficient in the role, I'd hate to see Horvat get stuck with the #1 PK center role.
He's just too good at driving to the net on offense.
We need that.
We need even younger players to see that.
A lot.
Bo is a very average penalty killer. Though for this hockey team that could be described as “damned proficient” I guess.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Cherry Picker wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:18 am They shouldn’t trade Sutter until Pettersson and Gaudette have been successful at centre at the NHL level. Sutter can always move to the wing if they are ready. He has a NTC this year, and there is no rush to move him at all. Next year and the year after he has a motified no trade clause. If you can get anything trade Gagner and Goldobin. They can go because they suck defensively and better players are competing for their jobs, but Sutter should be kept around much longer. He is good at what he does.
Facts, Pens likely would have kept Sutter had they didn't need the cap space, Cup contenders would love a Sutter as their 3rd line C imesho. He and Granlund were Green's top PK forwards in ice time - if you watch Granlund positioning and stick work he's actually really intelligent defensively, plus he has some scoring capabilities.

Sutter 3C
Beagle 4C

Expensive, but well worth the money as they play the most important forward position (center) and are superb at what they do, probably our best bottom six centers we've ever had, now if one gets injured our bottom six won't collapse and be dead in the water like the past few years.

Plus with Pettersson on his 3 year ELC and Horvat on a semi-friendly contract, that buys time to be able to afford those excellent depth centers.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think the Penguins did just fine with Nick Bonino as their 3rd line centre. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:29 am I think the Penguins did just fine with Nick Bonino as their 3rd line centre. :lol:
Yup, I wasn't talking about Bonino and his capabilities, I was talking about cap hits specifically Sutter's, and they shaved off just enough in that trade to be able to get another dman for depth iirc.

They tried Sheahan and Brassard last season, didn't work out.

The Pens are constantly are trying to revamp their bottom six centers with limited cap space behind their heralded Crosby/Malkin duo.

I'm just saying with Horvat's semi-friendly contract, and Pettersson ELC, the Canucks can afford to spend cap money on some quality depth centers.
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

SKYO wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am I'm just saying with Horvat's semi-friendly contract, and Pettersson ELC, the Canucks can afford to spend cap money on some quality depth centers.
Personally, I was hoping that before the end of Sutter's contract, Gaudette would be the 3rd best centre in the Canucks system.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Ronning's Ghost wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:53 am
SKYO wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:41 am I'm just saying with Horvat's semi-friendly contract, and Pettersson ELC, the Canucks can afford to spend cap money on some quality depth centers.
Personally, I was hoping that before the end of Sutter's contract, Gaudette would be the 3rd best centre in the Canucks system.
Yeah that's the master plan, and to be elite defensively in the NHL, typically you need years of NHL experience of learning the ropes - why the best defensive forwards are veterans, so Sutter/Beags contracts are perfectly timed to help Gaudette earn his defensive stripes these next few years.
Cherry Picker
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Cherry Picker »

Certainly nothing wrong with having five NHL centres. Injuries are always a problem. Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette, Sutter, Beagle is nice centre depth. If they all reach their potential and stay healthy (which are big ifs), Sutter can be moved to right wing on a shut down line. The cost for that centre depth is pretty cheap all together for the next three years because of the ELCs.
We are all Snidely Whiplash.