2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Gadjovich has 2 goals this season in the AHL
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:49 am Gadjovich has 2 goals this season in the AHL
30 games played, coming back after wrist & back injuries
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Power skating lessons this summer! An essential to be sure.
"evolution"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:49 am Gadjovich has 2 goals this season in the AHL
He's on a 5 goal pace though
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:02 am
He’s learnin’ the ropes. He’ll be a gooder.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 am
For sure he has to improve his skating. But he also has to learn how to play against men. Not an easy transition for the man-child. Sounds like he's figuring it out. But his ice time is limited. Right now he's getting a lot of ZMac minutes. If he develops the right way he could become a mainstay in the future on the PP while carving out 3rd line minutes.
The only HW the Canucks need
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:15 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 am
For sure he has to improve his skating. But he also has to learn how to play against men. Not an easy transition for the man-child. Sounds like he's figuring it out. But his ice time is limited. Right now he's getting a lot of ZMac minutes. If he develops the right way he could become a mainstay in the future on the PP while carving out 3rd line minutes.
I agree - way too early to write off any of the kids on the farm yet. Yes, you'd prefer they were all playing 15-20 mins a night and developing perfectly but that's not going to happen. With guys like MacEwen, Lind, Dahlen, Jasek, and Gadjovich all developing at different speeds I think we'll have a couple of guys play on the big team in the next couple of season. We need to give them a bit of time though, I'm not too worried about the first year or so as long as we see improvement and that's happening. They all have weaknesses they need to work on and the team has made them aware of what those are, so I expect to see some marked improvement after another off-season of training.

Guys like Lockwood and Madden should be in Utica in the next year or two as well, so there's more coming at forward and a few D coming as well. Still work to be done and more scoring to be added, but I think we all knew that coming into this season.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Diehard1 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:50 am 1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Cozens
5. Podkozlin
6. Zegras
7. Krebs
8. Boldy
9. Turcotte
10. Dach

Canucks territory

Broberg - LD - No
Newhook - C - No
Soderstrom - RD - Yes
York - LD - No
Caufield - RW - Yes
Brink - C - No
Knight - G - Yes
Seider - RD - Yes
Tomasino - C - No
Heinola - LD - No
Pelletier - C - No
Suzuki - C - No

Canucks should target Soderstrom IMO
I don’t have the top 10 in the same order you do, and I think that some team grabs Broberg in the top 10 but let’s say it’s close.

Of the next 5 or so guys I would choose one of (not in order):

1) Newhook- hard to judge given level of competition, but lightning fast guy who may not have quite the hockey sense others do
2) Soderstrom - very steady RHD
3) Brink - again lightning fast, good hockey sense but on the small side
4) York - top D from the USNTDP

I suspect one of the top 10 guys outlined will fall and somebody random will go top 10-15, as it seems to be happening in recent drafts (Hayton, Dubois, Senyshyn, DeBrusk, etc) so a good player will be around wherever the Nucks pick.

I figure we can revisit this debate in 15 days or so given the Nucks have 8 games in 13 days starting tomorrow, with no more than 1 day off and a couple of back to backs that I figure will drop them down in the standings a few spots. Would be nice if I was wrong.
So I guess the 15 days is almost up - right now the Nucks have the 8th worst winning % in the league, which would put us in the Krebs/Turcotte/Boldy/Dach/Zegras bracket. Some really good talented forwards there, hard to distinguish a couple but I would likely go:

1) Turcotte
2) Krebs
3) Zegras
4) Dach
5) Boldy

It's really, really close though. I like Turcotte's two way game and skating the best so I put him first. I love Krebs' drive and ability to play multiple positions (LW/C). Zegras is a bit different in that he's got a ton of skill and really good edges, but he's likely a bit further away as he needs to hit the weight room. Dach is more of a wildcard for me but he's huge, a RH shot center and could be Getzlaf if he pans out - needs to improve his leg strength and skating. Boldy I'm not as sure about, I love his skills and his skating is improving but I'm not sure about his engine, and I love guys who are all out hustle.

Still lots of time for things to change, but I still expect we'll pick somewhere from 8-12 assuming we don't get lucky and win one of the lotteries.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Diehard1 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:53 pm
Diehard1 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm
RoyalDude wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:50 am 1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Cozens
5. Podkozlin
6. Zegras
7. Krebs
8. Boldy
9. Turcotte
10. Dach

Canucks territory

Broberg - LD - No
Newhook - C - No
Soderstrom - RD - Yes
York - LD - No
Caufield - RW - Yes
Brink - C - No
Knight - G - Yes
Seider - RD - Yes
Tomasino - C - No
Heinola - LD - No
Pelletier - C - No
Suzuki - C - No

Canucks should target Soderstrom IMO
I don’t have the top 10 in the same order you do, and I think that some team grabs Broberg in the top 10 but let’s say it’s close.

Of the next 5 or so guys I would choose one of (not in order):

1) Newhook- hard to judge given level of competition, but lightning fast guy who may not have quite the hockey sense others do
2) Soderstrom - very steady RHD
3) Brink - again lightning fast, good hockey sense but on the small side
4) York - top D from the USNTDP

I suspect one of the top 10 guys outlined will fall and somebody random will go top 10-15, as it seems to be happening in recent drafts (Hayton, Dubois, Senyshyn, DeBrusk, etc) so a good player will be around wherever the Nucks pick.

I figure we can revisit this debate in 15 days or so given the Nucks have 8 games in 13 days starting tomorrow, with no more than 1 day off and a couple of back to backs that I figure will drop them down in the standings a few spots. Would be nice if I was wrong.
So I guess the 15 days is almost up - right now the Nucks have the 8th worst winning % in the league, which would put us in the Krebs/Turcotte/Boldy/Dach/Zegras bracket. Some really good talented forwards there, hard to distinguish a couple but I would likely go:

1) Turcotte
2) Krebs
3) Zegras
4) Dach
5) Boldy

It's really, really close though. I like Turcotte's two way game and skating the best so I put him first. I love Krebs' drive and ability to play multiple positions (LW/C). Zegras is a bit different in that he's got a ton of skill and really good edges, but he's likely a bit further away as he needs to hit the weight room. Dach is more of a wildcard for me but he's huge, a RH shot center and could be Getzlaf if he pans out - needs to improve his leg strength and skating. Boldy I'm not as sure about, I love his skills and his skating is improving but I'm not sure about his engine, and I love guys who are all out hustle.

Still lots of time for things to change, but I still expect we'll pick somewhere from 8-12 assuming we don't get lucky and win one of the lotteries.
I would love Krebs, put him back to left wing to play with Bo.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob must be walking on sunshine. If the season ended today the Canucks would be set with the 7th best odds at the lottery
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:29 am Blob must be walking on sunshine. If the season ended today the Canucks would be set with the 7th best odds at the lottery
It’s a good draft. The higher they pick the better
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:35 am
RoyalDude wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:29 am Blob must be walking on sunshine. If the season ended today the Canucks would be set with the 7th best odds at the lottery
I agree, I'd love to see playoff hockey but if not then give me a top 10 pick. There's some really good forwards in this draft, and if Byram falls (unlikely) he'd be a great pickup as a D as well.

The way the standings are stacked up the Nucks could pick anywhere between 5-16. Give me playoffs or give me the best possible pick.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Diehard1 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:32 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:35 am
I agree, I'd love to see playoff hockey but if not then give me a top 10 pick. There's some really good forwards in this draft, and if Byram falls (unlikely) he'd be a great pickup as a D as well.

The way the standings are stacked up the Nucks could pick anywhere between 5-16. Give me playoffs or give me the best possible pick.
Give me a Stanley Cup in 3 - 5 years or go home, what ever is the best path forward God will take us there because for every Genius GM there is God behind him.

:lol: :mex: :drink:
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Fuck reef. Pick it up will ya?

Dont make the dude lock you back up in the trunk
If you need air...call it in
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:49 am
Give me a Stanley Cup in 3 - 5 years or go home, what ever is the best path forward God will take us there because for every Genius GM there is God behind him.
:lol: :mex: :drink:
"evolution"