2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 19, 2019 8:53 am

To be honest I’d rather one of Boldy, Krebs, Zegras, Podkozin over Soderstrom but wouldn’t be upset with picking the Swede. Not the sexy pick but could end up being the better for us after the dust settles
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:02 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:53 am
To be honest I’d rather one of Boldy, Krebs, Zegras, Podkozin over Soderstrom but wouldn’t be upset with picking the Swede. Not the sexy pick but could end up being the better for us after the dust settles
I’m not entirely sure, as I’ve said a few times there are a bunch of players in and around the 10th spot that I would have no problem with, both F and one D. I’d say, in approximate order, I’d be fine with:

Krebs
Zegras
Soderstrom
Boldy
Podkolzin

Razor thin margin for me, so let Jimbo and Brackett pick who they like best.

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sun May 19, 2019 9:03 am

RoyalDude wrote:
We all agree that the D needs more pieces moving forward. I just hope someone reaches for Caufield and the Russian gets snapped up. Then you could see a guy like Dach or Boldy available at 10. I’d be curious what the cost would be to get the 3rd or 4th pick. I like both Byram and Turcotte.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 19, 2019 9:23 am

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:03 am
RoyalDude wrote:
We all agree that the D needs more pieces moving forward. I just hope someone reaches for Caufield and the Russian gets snapped up. Then you could see a guy like Dach or Boldy available at 10. I’d be curious what the cost would be to get the 3rd or 4th pick. I like both Byram and Turcotte.
That’s what I’m hoping, someone reaches for Caulfield, maybe even one of the D-men and Podkozlin gets snapped ahead of us. Tough to tell

It seems rather impossible for us to move up to 3rd or 4th. It would take more than adding our 2nd round pick with the 10th. A bigger lure, but we don’t even have that. Demko maybe.
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Sun May 19, 2019 9:31 am

I’d like to see a couple guys moved off the roster for picks.

Hutton for a late 2nd

If you can get a 2nd and 4th for Taney you need to do it.

Yeah the d would be weaker but you go all in on Karlsson and if you strike out sign Strahlman. Sign a cheap guy to play 15-16 on the left sign to replace Hutton. Re up Edler.
Granlund might fetch a 4th or 5th. That gives Benning either more picks to deal in order to improve draft position,or he can make 9 or 20 picks to continue building up the depth. Maybe he could package two 2nds for a late first if a d man he likes falls.

Between the end of finals and July 1st, I see a shit ton of moves in this city.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am

1. Hughes to Jersey
2. Kakko to NYR

3. Hawks are a mystery. But they’ve taken 3 defenceman with their last 3 first round picks so wouldnt be surprised they pass on Byram and select Turcotte. At the same time tough to pass on Byram. They pick LHD Byram to form a future great top pairing with RHD Boqvist

4. Colorado is stacked everywhere, do they need Byram with Makar, Girard, Timmins, Zadarov, etc? Yes Barrie is most likely done in Colorado then yeah Byram makes sense cause he’s a LHD unlike Barrie RHD. Are the Avalanche happy with their 2nd line centre Jost? They love speed and Cozens and Zegras have plenty of that. They pick Cozens

5. Kings have picked centres with their last 2 first round picks - Vilardi and Kupari but pick BPA in Turcotte

6. Wings have picked a ton of behemoths lately Yzerman likes his shrimps - Point, Johnson etc. The Wings are the team I see going off the board and drafting Caulfield

7. Sabres - tough call got a lot of young players, don’t need centres (Eichel, Mittledtadt and Reinhart can play centre). They take winger Podkozlin

8. Oilers just like the Sabres don’t need centres and go with Boldy

9. The Ducks Getzlaf replacement falls into their lap - Dach

10. It’s always coming down to Krebs, Zegras, Soderstrom, Newhook, Broberg and Seider whom I think the Canucks will be picking from

If that is who is available the Canucks should consider trading back 2-3-4 spots if there is a team desparate for someone at 10, get another 2nd rounder out of the deal instead of ending up with Soderstrom they draft Harley, York or Seider???

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:08 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am
1. Hughes to Jersey
2. Kakko to NYR

3. Hawks are a mystery. But they’ve taken 3 defenceman with their last 3 first round picks so wouldnt be surprised they pass on Byram and select Turcotte. At the same time tough to pass on Byram. They pick LHD Byram to form a future great top pairing with RHD Boqvist

4. Colorado is stacked everywhere, do they need Byram with Makar, Girard, Timmins, Zadarov, etc? Yes Barrie is most likely done in Colorado then yeah Byram makes sense cause he’s a LHD unlike Barrie RHD. Are the Avalanche happy with their 2nd line centre Jost? They love speed and Cozens and Zegras have plenty of that. They pick Cozens

5. Kings have picked centres with their last 2 first round picks - Vilardi and Kupari but pick BPA in Turcotte

6. Wings have picked a ton of behemoths lately Yzerman likes his shrimps - Point, Johnson etc. The Wings are the team I see going off the board and drafting Caulfield

7. Sabres - tough call got a lot of young players, don’t need centres (Eichel, Mittledtadt and Reinhart can play centre). They take winger Podkozlin

10. It’s always coming down to Krebs, Zegras, Soderstrom, Newhook, Broberg and Seider whom I think the Canucks will be picking from

If that is who is available the Canucks should consider trading back 2-3-4 spots if there is a team desparate for someone at 10, get another 2nd rounder out of the deal instead of ending up with Soderstrom they draft Harley, York or Seider???
Great post and I think you’re right, I could see the canucks trading back 2-3 spots if Broberg, soderstrom, hienola are still on the board. I got a feeling though soderstrom or Broberg May go before our pick due to the value of dmen.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:15 am

In regards to BPA, it wouldn't be looked at well, for us. And if it went wrong, well, OMG!

But someone will get a f**k of a player in Newhook. Ya, I know they're BCHL numbers but, shit!
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/04/19 ... ng-report/
"evolution"

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 19, 2019 10:18 am

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:08 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:42 am
1. Hughes to Jersey
2. Kakko to NYR

Great post and I think you’re right, I could see the canucks trading back 2-3 spots if Broberg, soderstrom, hienola are still on the board. I got a feeling though soderstrom or Broberg May go before our pick due to the value of dmen.
I keep forgetting about Hienola. He seems to be climbing. Picks 10 through 20 seemingly will be dominated by defenceman. Which leads me to believe the Avalanche will take a forward at 4th and a d-man at 16th

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am

micky107 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:15 am
In regards to BPA, it wouldn't be looked at well, for us. And if it went wrong, well, OMG!

But someone will get a f**k of a player in Newhook. Ya, I know they're BCHL numbers but, shit!
I’m not 100% sold on Newhook. I see one of the defenceman after Byram being more valuable to a team than Newhook. Newhook just strikes me as being a notch below Tyson Jost. And Jost isn’t setting the world on fire. Scouts were much more higher on Jost prior to his draft than they are with Newhook now

I’d rather Soderstrom, Broberg or Seider instead of Newhook

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sun May 19, 2019 10:38 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am
micky107 wrote:

I’m not 100% sold on Newhook. I see one of the defenceman after Byram being more valuable to a team than Newhook. Newhook just strikes me as being a notch below Tyson Jost. And Jost isn’t setting the world on fire. Scouts were much more higher on Jost prior to his draft than they are with Newhook now

I was watching some Broberg videos and holy hell can he skate

Chef Boi RD
CC Legend

Post by Chef Boi RD » Sun May 19, 2019 11:00 am

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:38 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:22 am
micky107 wrote:

I was watching some Broberg videos and holy hell can he skate
A Broberg will be more valuable to a team than Newhook in the long run. I see a few defenceman and Caulfield getting picked before Newhook.

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:43 am

If it does come down to Soderstrom or Broberg, Two months ago I thought Sod but now I'd rather take Bro.
Reason being Soderstrom strikes me a bit like Juolevi. Nothing wrong with that but just think Broberg would be in the NHL quicker.
"evolution"

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:45 am

Actually, Benning had a good look at both of them a while back.
"evolution"

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ » Sun May 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 9:03 am
I just hope someone reaches for Caufield and the Russian gets snapped up. Then you could see a guy like Dach or Boldy available at 10. I’d be curious what the cost would be to get the 3rd or 4th pick. I like both Byram and Turcotte.
When you're picking 10, there's bound to be at least one reach. So Jim will have to choose between an expected pick, a dropper, and reaching down for the player he wants. It's an interesting spot to be picking at.

Though I really hope Podkolzin is off the board, I'm a believer that the Russian factor always goes against Vancouver and I wouldn't want to face the temptation of drafting a skilled Russian...