2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: 2019 NHL ENTRY DRAFT - Vancouver

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob the Canucks currently would be picking 12th overall if the season ended now, it’s obvious to everyone we won’t be picking top 10, so who we picking in this area? Krebs, Byram, Newhook, Lavoie, Suzuki, Robertson, Broberg, kaliyev, Boldy, Zegras, Turcotte etc.?

The Nucks need more skill in the top 6, a winger or a d-man.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:45 am Nobody knows how far EP can take the team. Hes definitely the engine that could land at minimum a playoff spot...maybe farther.

Hes in the crosby mcdavid class of elite player that can carry a team all the way if the stars align just so. You build championship teams with pieces like this
Agreed, but do you want to see him exposed to NHL playoff hockey at this point in his career, and with these teammates ? I'd rather he had a long career, and was able to offer peak performance when he had enough of a supporting cast to give him a chance -- both to survive, and to win a championship.
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:03 am
I just think they need more skill and high end talent for a rebuild that is two years in. Juolevi is certainly no sure thing. Virtanen has tailed off big time but still looks like a useful piece imho. Hughes is tiny and who knows how his game will translate. I love his skating and his vision but I think he will struggle defensively when he does get here.

At the end of the day I’m not hoping they lose, but four games and out and picking 17 or 18 is not something I want to see either.
I agree.

Do even the people who think the rebuild is going great think that it's complete, i.e. all the pieces are in place? I think the organization is at least one more strong draft performance (the kind where even a genius needs a top-ten pick to work with) away.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

just put him in bubble wrap
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I read somewhere that one reason he wasnt taken before we took him was that teams were weary of how injuries would affect someone with that slight of a frame...and so far they are proving to be accurate.

So would a big shit kicker on his wing help? Both of his injuries were caused behind the play by guys who are wimps (jumping to conclusions on Kotaniemi but matheson is a confirmed wimp)

Would they be less likely to try and get away with this kind of thing if a maroon or ferkland was immediately there rag dolling and love-gloving faces? I say it would definitely be a deterrent.

Another thought...in a 7 game playoff series, EP better know how to avoid getting sucked into this kind of wrastlemania crap. Teams will 100% be taking runs and getting him off his game. Guaranteed. 100%
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

He seems able to stand up to 'normal wear and tear' and avoids or absorbs hits - but both injuries came from non-hockey plays away from the play. Neither one was called, and neither one was met with any response. When this happens a 3rd time, will anything change? Will there ever be a response?

The league obviously doesn't give a shit about star players. The team doesn't seem to have his back. This kid IS the franchise right now. He is the one that will fill seats.

At some point EP will get tired of these plays and it will affect his game. Or he gets injured. So do we put a deterrent on his line or just keep watching this happen? I have no problem with any Canuck taking a suspension if it reduces the number of times Pettersson get injured due to bullshit plays.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

It is no different than how teams play against Crosby or Kane.

Did you catch the Montreal pregame interviews whee (Petry?) was asked how they were going to play Pettersson, hard and physical to take away his time and space was the reply.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Topper wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:06 am It is no different than how teams play against Crosby or Kane.

Did you catch the Montreal pregame interviews whee (Petry?) was asked how they were going to play Pettersson, hard and physical to take away his time and space was the reply.
And I have no problem with that - a body slam to the ice after the play? A tackle from behind after the play?

I get that Pettersson is skinny and light right now - maybe he will be for his career - but I'd rather see a long career than a short one because some slug got embarrassed and took revenge.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Im with ya corn. Enoughs enough.

Ferkland would be my target and i might part with more to add him to peteys line. Seeing as this kid is our franchise i could get behind moving something significant out...provided we can sign him right away

Crosby came into the league a tank. Kane is a better comparable but is still 4 inches shorter and 10 lbs heavier.

The painful irony for blob is petey is the epitome of bird boned and our future rests on those tiny shoulders
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:13 am Im with ya corn. Enoughs enough.

Ferkland would be my target and i might part with more to add him to peteys line. Seeing as this kid is our franchise i could get behind moving something significant out...provided we can sign him right away

Crosby came into the league a tank. Kane is a better comparable but is still 4 inches shorter and 10 lbs heavier.

The painful irony for blob is petey is the epitome of bird boned and our future rests on those tiny shoulders
Agreed, we've seen countless times all the cheap shots on the Sedins throughout the years with no pushback it's time the Canucks protect Petey their franchise player with some muscle on his left wing, all Petey needs really is Boeser anyways to snipe in his elite passes, all the HHOF types just need a talented pairing to succeed. Hull/Oates, Gretzky/Kurri, Messier/Anderson, Mario/Jagr etc who really cares whose the other winger so long as they can provide some muscle protection and do the dirty work.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Post by Mickey107 »

Cornuck wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:02 am He seems able to stand up to 'normal wear and tear' and avoids or absorbs hits - but both injuries came from non-hockey plays away from the play. Neither one was called, and neither one was met with any response. When this happens a 3rd time, will anything change? Will there ever be a response?

The league obviously doesn't give a shit about star players. The team doesn't seem to have his back. This kid IS the franchise right now. He is the one that will fill seats.
This is exactly it! The response should happen as close to immediate as possible. Sure there would be penalties but I'm also sure some of
the infractions would go the other way too, which is another reason for teams, (players), to think twice.

Having a revenge game next time the teams meet, (if they even do), means and does very little for the deterrent factor or Pettersson. Just
makes press.
"evolution"
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:13 am Blob the Canucks currently would be picking 12th overall if the season ended now, it’s obvious to everyone we won’t be picking top 10, so who we picking in this area? Krebs, Byram, Newhook, Lavoie, Suzuki, Robertson, Broberg, kaliyev, Boldy, Zegras, Turcotte etc.?

Right now there are seven teams with a worse winning pctg than Vancouver.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:50 am
RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:13 am Blob the Canucks currently would be picking 12th overall if the season ended now, it’s obvious to everyone we won’t be picking top 10, so who we picking in this area? Krebs, Byram, Newhook, Lavoie, Suzuki, Robertson, Broberg, kaliyev, Boldy, Zegras, Turcotte etc.?

And they and the wild card competing teams around us have one thing working against them - we have the Swedish Gretzky

Mëds - your thoughts on the Swedish Gretzky the face of the Canucks franchise for the next decade and more? Future captain extraordinaire!!!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bowen Byram is having an insane last half of his season. Taking his game to a whole other level. Top 5 pick he’s looking like. Blob calls him the next Steve McCarthy.

Looks like Krebs is passing the falling Dach. Concerns over Dachs first step, a bit of a prodding skater. Krebs has out his shitty team on his back and doing everything for that team, like this kids compete level. Newhook is having a great season could very well be picked ahead of Dach. The Americans are rising in this draft - Boldy, Zegras, Kaliyev.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

YOU called Byram the next Steve McCarthy
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:50 am

And they and the wild card competing teams around us have one thing working against them - we have the Swedish Gretzky

Mëds - your thoughts on the Swedish Gretzky the face of the Canucks franchise for the next decade and more? Future captain extraordinaire!!!
Yeah. Scrawny, but stronger than he looks. I've seen him lean back into a hit and surprise guys.

The Matheson play was bullshit, and 10-15 more lbs might have been the difference there if it meant that he didn't get lifted off the ice by the hit, but it would have done nothing for his impact onto the ice, if anything it would have made it worse.....physics is a bitch. I chalk that one up to some inexperience with the way the NHL game is played, that shit would probably have never happened in the SHL so he was probably not expecting it (maybe Per can confirm that suspicion). I'll be surprised to see him caught like that again.

The knee injury was a freak accident. Size had nothing to do with it, in fact if he was bigger and heavier the sprain could easily have been worse.....again, physics is a bitch.

I haven't seen anything beyond his point production and talent that tells me he is premiere captain material. We've seen lots that says BoHo is.