Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 20779
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:22 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:19 pm
Quoted for stupidity
Hey man, I wasn't calling you stupid... just sick.

I just want you to get some help before it's too late.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4783
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:30 pm

If TL wanted to extend Edler then good freaking riddance

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 14834
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:34 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:22 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:19 pm
Quoted for stupidity
Hey man, I wasn't calling you stupid... just sick.

I just want you to get some help before it's too late.
When in doubt resort to attacks. It’s what you do best
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 20779
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Strangelove » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:01 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:34 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:22 pm
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:19 pm
Quoted for stupidity
Hey man, I wasn't calling you stupid... just sick.

I just want you to get some help before it's too late.
When in doubt resort to attacks. It’s what you do best
UMMMM... I just explained how I wasn't calling you stupid. Image

Get some help bro...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

nuckster
MVP
MVP
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:35 am

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by nuckster » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Keeping track of things over here in 'royalist' canada. Finally found a GOOD ipa. Not opposed to Linden's departure. But, BUT (big but), a little concerned about how much ownership wants to 'drive the bus'? And yes, since Linden's ole lady is friends with Edler's, Linden likely enabled Edler to stay rather than pursue trade/draft prospects for him.
Cheers
cc oldtimer

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 14936
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Soooooo......

It seems Trevor finally got a green light two TDD ago, so 2016, and he thought this year, to do a more traditional rebuild. Elliot Friedman reported that at the draft Linden spoke to several GMs about their rebuilds, their philosophy, how they turned the corner etc. He was told basically the team is on the right path now and they needed to stick with it, trade out some vets and ease more kids in, gather more picks yada yada. Ownership lost paitience and wanted to go back to the rebuild on the fly and stay competitive. Trevor was questioned about the excess cap space and why the team did not pursue some higher end FA like Stastny or Neil.

His vision was to trade some of the vets, maybe before camp, but looking seriously from Jan onwards, to make room in the new year for kids and acquire picks with the view that the playoffs were unlikely, use the last half of this season to assess all the kids by gradually giving them more of a role.

Benning is/was on board.

So it seems that the ownership gave them three TDD and two drafts to do a more traditional rebuild. Trevor had a 2-3 year vision of gradual integration of the prospects, gradual weeding out the vets and gradual improvement with the playoffs being a serious consideration in 2019-2020 season and then steady improvement.

The three vets brought in this year they felt would be the support for the kids but by Jan they wanted to start moving other vets depending upon injuries, the kids development and of course the standings. Ownerships vision is that the rebuild is done and now it's time to put all the pieces together. Not sure how that translates into action or selection of roster.

I see this as Aquiline as being overly involved once again. His fan is showing as is his arm chair GMing. He wants Benning to spend to the cap while also injecting youth to excite the fans. Not sure if he understands their are contract and roster limits :mrgreen:

We have an impatient owner who this he has the paitience for a rebuild but doesn't really and who moves the goal posts. Whatever he wanted Linden to do Linden did not see that as the right approach.

It will be interesting to see how Benning handles things.

Also interesting that Aquiline first said Trevor stepped down but retracted and said Trevor is not a quitter and it was am amicable parting.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 856
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 am

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Cherry Picker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:14 pm

Edler played well last season, but that was the first decent season in a while. I think his back is finally better now. He seemed to slow down a lot for a while, but last season he rarely got beat wide like he had been in the previous seasons. I thought he was really solid last year. This departure may have but shouldn’t have centred around Edler. Signing him for a few more seasons to have a few vets around should be fine, or trading him to help get more picks for the rebuild should be fine, too. Either way there must be more to the story than this. Probably more about losing autonomy to Benning and ownership as has been speculated, which seems like a reasonable reason to depart.
Last edited by Cherry Picker on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all Jim Benning.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1542
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by BladesofSteel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:18 pm

I am really curious to see who gets brought in. Could it be someone with clout? A new name? Or simply a re-shifting of the powers?

I mean really, aside from back-up Gov for Fran at the odd league meeting, what were his duties? (Powers?)

Interesting times await.

User avatar
dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1145
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:31 pm
Location: Commercial Drive Coffee shop

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by dangler » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Cherry Picker wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:14 pm
Edler played well last season, but that was the first decent season in a while. I think his back is finally better now. He seemed to slow down a lot for a while, but last season he rarely got beat wide like he had been in the previous seasons. I thought he was really solid last year. This departure may have but shouldn’t have centred around Edler. Signing him for a few more seasons to have a few vets around should be fine, or trading him to help get more picks for the rebuild should be fine, too. Either way there must be more to the story than this. Probably more about losing autonomy to Benning and ownership as has been speculated, which seems like a reasonable reason to depart.
Yeah thats my take on it too CP,i doubt Edler was much of a factor,and he did look good last year. Probably more of a autonomy thing between Trev and the Aquilinis. He's got lots on the go,and if ownership wants to do it a different way then i'm sure it doesn't break his heart to walk away.
Loui is tougher to get rid of than ear hair

User avatar
Cherry Picker
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 856
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 am

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Cherry Picker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:27 pm

I like the idea of bringing in a marketing nerd as president and leaving Benning to manage the hockey side of things. But if they want a hockey mind, my favourite ex-GM is Burke and he may be available even if he just left the president role in Calgary. Thankfully Vancouver is not Calgary and I believe Burke likes living in this city. I think a Burke-Benning combo could be great. Burke to make the occasional block-buster trade (except he does like moving draft picks) and Benning to draft and develop.
We are all Jim Benning.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1542
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by BladesofSteel » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Benning is/was on board.

It will be interesting to see how Benning handles things.
Jim could win over the fans, ownership and the players by swinging for the fences and improving the team for both the short and long term.

In four plus years on the job, Jim has yet to make a major trade. Every GM makes at least one huge move.

You’re up Jim!

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 14834
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:39 pm

The Aquilinis aren’t hiring Burke. There is a bitter hatred there.

I think Linden is a chump. I think Aquilini is a shitty meddling owner and I think Elmer is a good scout/yes-man masquerading as a GM. Anyone worth their salt will need total autonomy to come into this side show. Can’t see a high end hire here. Probably another hand puppet for Frank.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
Posts: 14834
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:42 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:28 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Benning is/was on board.

It will be interesting to see how Benning handles things.
Jim could win over the fans, ownership and the players by swinging for the fences and improving the team for both the short and long term.

In four plus years on the job, Jim has yet to make a major trade. Every GM makes at least one huge move.

You’re up Jim!
So what’s the major trade here BOS? He has no assets to move other than Horvat, Petterson, Hughes Boeser or Demko or next years 1st. That’s it. You want a major deal you aren’t getting much for Lind, Granlund, Gudbranson etc. Stay the course and rebuild.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 14936
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:39 pm
The Aquilinis aren’t hiring Burke. There is a bitter hatred there.

I think Linden is a chump. I think Aquilini is a shitty meddling owner and I think Elmer is a good scout/yes-man masquerading as a GM. Anyone worth their salt will need total autonomy to come into this side show. Can’t see a high end hire here. Probably another hand puppet for Frank.

Whatever Aquilini’s bidding is I think Benning does it. A little birdie told me I have it wrong. Benning and Linden were the ones with the occasional head butting. Perhaps Benning and Aquilini are more inlined in their thinking? Benning is chomping at the bit to get the kids into the lineup. He’s also shown the propensity to move players out.

We will see.
The only HW the Canucks need

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 851
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Trevor Linden is stepping down in VAN

Post by Richardstroker69 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:47 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:42 pm
BladesofSteel wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:28 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:12 pm

Benning is/was on board.

It will be interesting to see how Benning handles things.
Jim could win over the fans, ownership and the players by swinging for the fences and improving the team for both the short and long term.

In four plus years on the job, Jim has yet to make a major trade. Every GM makes at least one huge move.

You’re up Jim!
So what’s the major trade here BOS? He has no assets to move other than Horvat, Petterson, Hughes Boeser or Demko or next years 1st. That’s it. You want a major deal you aren’t getting much for Lind, Granlund, Gudbranson etc. Stay the course and rebuild.
Something involving subban

Post Reply